Don't know how to cope

drbetteridge

I'm hoping that I can get plenty of ideas from all of you. I happen to be starting on Slimfast today, but I have had the same problem with every diet I have been on. The one thing I find I cannot live without is crunchy, salty foods. I have to have this craving satisfied or I just can't stick to a diet for long. It doesn't go away.

I prefer nuts, popcorn or savoury crackers (and am not averse to munching on crisps and other junk food- but don't really crave them). Obviously, these are generally diet breakers, but I don't want raw carrots and celery- no salt. Are there any diet friendly savoury/salty crunchy snacks that I can fix my cravings with? I don't want to blow another diet because of this one thing I can't conquer. :cry: Thanks, Denise

i'm sorry if this isn't helpful with the Slimfast diet, but I've seen ads on TV for Ryvita mini thingies. Can you have those?

Hi Denise :) I've been on slimfast for months now, I have a packet of walkers baked crisps as one of my snacks, pretty much everyday .... only 95 cals ;)

Boots do their own brand of low fat crisps which are v tasty and about 90 cals but I munch on salted rice cakes with a scraping of extra light cream cheese, they are only about 30 cals!

SlimFast do their own range of snacks, I've had a bag of their pretzels andthey're yummy :D

10 almonds. About 65 to 70 calories.

Take ages to eat. Full of healthy fats and protein to keep hunger at bay.

Can't get better than that :D

what a great tip!
cheers KD, will give it a try!

Hi Denise,

There are loads of things you can have, just look in the healthy snack section at the supermarket, or even crackers if you like those. You are allowed 3 snacks a day on slimfast, up to 100 cals each, so plenty to play around with. i am like you, I love crisps and crackers. I often have walkers baked as Hannah mentioned. But you could also get snack a jacks (they also do a popcorn variety which are under 50 cals per bag!!). I've just found some great little crackers in the Tesco healthy living range, Anicent Grain. They are little square crackers and work out only about 8 cals each, they should satisfy crunchy salty cravings :)

That's why I love, and can stick to, the slimfast plan. Because you can still have things and not feel deprived! Some days I feel guilty as if I've eaten too much, but I'm right on plan!

Those salt and vinegar snack-a-jack popcorns are fab! there are 29 cals in a bag, so you could have 3 bags for your snack without feeling guilty!

good luck with it xx

you shouldnt feel diprived, I often have an unhealthy treat, im not on a diet, just healthy eating, you will get there, just stay positive and remember how you ate before you started the diet, it will take time for you to get into it, but it will happen and if its not the right diet there are others.

Patchninja- I don't know if I can have them or not. I guess the first thing I should do is find out what I can have. I haven't tried Ryvita- but I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

Patchninja- I don't know if I can have them or not. I guess the first thing I should do is find out what I can have. I haven't tried Ryvita- but I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes you can have them Denise! ANY snack 100 cals and under, obviously low fat is best, but even if you are naughty and have a treat, as long as you don't go over your 300 cal a day snack allowance, you're fine.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone. I'm making a list to keep in my handbag for shopping. I honestly couldn't have thought of that many things without the help. Guess I just need to think more creatively. I'm on my second day of Slim Fast, and so far so good. Want a good money making tip? Buy stock in gum companies! ;)

Yes you can have them Denise! ANY snack 100 cals and under, obviously low fat is best, but even if you are naughty and have a treat, as long as you don't go over your 300 cal a day snack allowance, you're fine.

Thanks, Stirky, I didn't know how to deal with the snacks. Thanks for letting me know. You've been a big help. :)

That's ok Denise. I always stock up on lots of different snack items, then keep a list inside of my cupboard of each snack and the calories, ie 2 x crispbakes and extra low fat cheese spread 78cals. Then when it's snack time I just go for what I fancy. Remember Muller light yoghurts too, the new vanilla with dark chocolate sprinkles are gorgeous, and great to satisfy a sweet tooth!

ooh, sounds good. I've seen the snack-a-jacks, but didn't know what they were. Methinks it's time to satisfy my curiosity. :)

Back