Don't know my weight

Hello all.

I was just wondering if I could please canvass opinion on something - I've never used a forum before so excuse me if I miss any key etiquette.

I gained lots of weight during my pregnancy and I am now determined to shift it. I lost loads of weight for my wedding and I'm worried that knowing I weigh ** stone will depress me and send me to the fridge.

My husband is weighing me on the wii fit and just letting me know what I lose. I have lost nearly two stone doing slimming world on my own, but I still feel fatter than ever.

I would like you to help me weigh up the pros and cons of knowing the size mountain I have to climb.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Hi there

I've read a few different opinions on this, but for what it's worth i will give you mine...
At the end of the day you know you want to lose weight, you know how you feel when you look in the mirror and you know how your clothes fit. Your actual weight is just a number, knowing it wont change any of these things that you already know.

When i weighed in I was shocked at my "true" weight (13st12) but after the initial "OMG where the hell did those extra 2 stone come from?!" I just accepted it and enjoy watching the scales go down every week (hopefully).

I think if i didnt know i'd still feel slightly in denial and like i wasnt really taking full ownership of my weight loss - it was me that got me to this weight and it's me thats going to get me to target!

One suggestion i would make if you do decide to take the plunge and find out, is maybe to use a unit of measurment that you dont ususally, i work in stones but i find if i think of my weight loss in terms of pounds then it isnt so scary! plus you only need to lose 10lb to get into a new number bracket, whereas you have to loose 14lb to be a stone lighter if that makes sense.

Anyway that is just my opinion, I hope whatever you decide to do you works out for you, you've already done so well so keep it up and you'll soon start to see and feel teh benefits!!

Lou x

in 16st 3.5lbs and used to be 19st 8lbs before losing some on the shake diet. I was sick to my stomach knowing how much i weighted and couldn't believe id got to that point without really noticing. Im very happy knowing my weight because i can look back now and see where iv come from and when i get to my goal it'll be even more amazing.

I agree with the others. The initial "OMG" of finding out how much you weigh almost guilt trips you into doing something about it. I know it certainly motivated me, as I was shocked, disgusted and scared about being that weight.

I also think if you know what you weigh now, you can set a target for your new weight. That way, you'll know how much you need to lose, and when you see it going down every week, you'll feel so happy knowing that you are getting closer and closer to target.

I know it's quite a daunting thing for us all to do, but once you get over the initial emotions of it all, it can be quite motivational. That's just my opinion xx

I think knowing is best. I am a fully blown member of the emotional eaters club and feeling "fat and huge" is guaranteed to send me to the fridge running, but once I braved the scales and saw exactly how heavy I was 19st 12lb at the heaviest, it was enough to make me sit up and go "WTF there is no way that is creeping in to the 20st mark". I lost a stone, but then stopped because of money, but I kept an eye on my weight and although I did gain, because I was watching it as soon as I got to 19st I decided to find the money to join SW. It's early days and this time around I am not weighing myself daily - like every other time I have dieted - but I do need to know the numbers to get my head around how I need to pace myself.

I think knowing I need to still lose in excess of 7 stone prepares me for the long haul if you see what I mean. You could ask hubby how much more you have to lose, but then you'd be working out your weight any way presumably. It may well be less than you think and you could have a pleasant surprise.

You've done brilliantly and knowing what you weigh now you can look back and go "gosh I used to weigh X and now I weigh Y" xxx

Very similar to the others here!!

finding out that i was 20stone 6lb was a massive shock to the system. but once I got over that I now look forward to getting through each 'stone zone'. I'm now 16 8lb i'm finding the prospect of heading to the 15 stone range a huge inspiration... whoop whoop!! I'm on the way!!

First of all, congratulations on your loss so far!

I'm another one who likes to know. I joined Slimming World in June having lived overseas for a year and not really watched what I ate. I had a rough idea of what I weighed, but as I had no scales when I lived out there, I didn't know for certain.

For me, numbers are concrete - I can happily convince myself that I have gained or lost weight any day of the week depending on the clothes I choose, the food I eat and the mood I'm in - but weighing in weekly lets me keep track in a way I find quite motivating now.

Best of luck. xx

I too like to know what I weigh. Before starting slimming world I had a rough (ish) idea of what I weighed (15st 7) but my incentive to start slimming world after umming and arring for awhile was when I was at a doctors appointment and had to be weighed and got told I was 16st 1 I felt shocked and ashmed but seeing the lbs decrease keeps me motivated x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks to all of you - I'm gonna do it tomorrow!!! I'm going to see Tori Amos tonight so don't want to ruin that, but I might just do it tomorrow.

You guys have all done well so far and it is an inspiration to me. Thanks for taking the time out to share your thoughts with me. I will pop back and share the eeeek weight. Louisep3 - I think that's a great idea about using a different unit of measurement. I will ask dh to check to see if the wii can be adjusted.

I think I am hiding behind the fact I don't know my weight and using it as an excuse when I want to pig out or as a weapon when I'm being self-deprecating.

I reckon I have 6 or 7 stone to lose so I will be sticking around on here for a fair while to get to where I want to be.

If Wii can't be altered to pounds, just get your oh to do it for you.
14lb in a stone.

I agree I was shocked when I saw my starting weight of 17st 8lbs

However now I'm like actually I'm in the 14s almost 13s and that's a huge achievement! Regardless of pounds! And then weeks when you hVe a small loss you can appreciate the overall differences such as my lowest weight since or a new sone bracket!! Xxx

Well I didn't weigh in but my husband told me what I've been weighing in at. He didn't handle it particularly well either :(

Start weight - just over 21 stone
Current weight - just over 19 stone

It's unbelievable. That's 8 stone on during my pregnancy and 10 stone on in just over 2 years!

I feel quite sad as I know I'm gonna spend the best part of the next 2 years losing weight, but I'm sure that I would have continually been disappointed with not reaching my goal of being "thin" and least I know know what I have to do. :cry:

I'm going to start going to a slimming world group on Tuesday to help re-introduce the shame of the weekly weigh in to keep my eating under control. Mini bean, I think you described my behaviour exactly too. I will set a goal when I've been and got the exact numbers.

Thanks to all - I'm gonna be around for a while so hope to get to know you better xxx

Well I didn't weigh in but my husband told me what I've been weighing in at. He didn't handle it particularly well either :(

Start weight - just over 21 stone
Current weight - just over 19 stone

It's unbelievable. That's 8 stone on during my pregnancy and 10 stone on in just over 2 years!

I feel quite sad as I know I'm gonna spend the best part of the next 2 years losing weight, but I'm sure that I would have continually been disappointed with not reaching my goal of being "thin" and least I know know what I have to do. :cry:

I'm going to start going to a slimming world group on Tuesday to help re-introduce the shame of the weekly weigh in to keep my eating under control. Mini bean, I think you described my behaviour exactly too. I will set a goal when I've been and got the exact numbers.

Thanks to all - I'm gonna be around for a while so hope to get to know you better xxx

well done you for taking that big step - and well done on the loss so far, you have done great.

You have now taken the biggest and hardest step. I can't believe how different I look from just a few months ago, I've still got a long way yet - but sure glad I made that first step.

Best of luck with your journey x x

Good luck on your journey! I don't know if it'll help but in one thread recently I read that a member encouraged herself by a different way of thinking about her weight, as you might by saying to yourself something like 'I used to be heading for the 22 stone zone but now I'm heading for the 18s'. :)

I was almost 19st when I stated SW but made a commitment not to keep on weighing myself between classes, now I only weigh at SW class.I also recommend that you keep a food diary so that if you have a bad week you and your consultant can see where the problem lies, this is one advantage of going to a class instead of online.......
2lb off Target and almost 5st off!

Back