Don't know what to do

cheryl7

I'm training for a 10k on 27th May, so am running 7.5k 3x week, with the view to increase this to 10k 3x week next month.

During my workout last week I came over feeling very faint and broke out in a cold sweat. I wasn't dehydrated (I'd drank 1.5L during the morning before run) and can only put it down to lack of carbs.

Which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. I know the diet works, but am worried that I don't have enough fuel for my training.

What would you do? Every day a PV day or add even more carbs than that on a training day? Or give up the DD in favour of low GI carbs while I'm training?

Cheryl x

That's a tough one. I am training to run a 5K and I need more "fuel" to burn as well. I had a Lucozade a couple of hours before my training session on Saturday and I must say, it made me feel better as I had "good" carbs to burn whilst running. I think that if you go for a low GI diet, you will still lose weight because of all the exercise you're doing. Sorry I can't be of any more help but good luck with your training x

Hi Cheryl. If it were me I would make sure that oat bran is the pre training meal and plenty of protein afterwards. At least oat bran is good quality complex carbohydrates to keep you going. Not sure whether you've already tried this though.

Cheryl I'm not sure you can do this - serious training and cruising at the same time. You clearly need more nutrition to keep you going on your ever-extending runs - BTW should you do 3X10k in one week? Are you following a personal training plan?
Anyway I have no answers per se but you will have to look at your nutrition on running days, adding *some* carbs a few hours before your run to 'recharge' your glycogen stores and/or taking some energy tablets / drink / gels with you to have 30mins into the session. There's no way round it, and you might need professional advice here.

Good luck with the 10K though! I'm just about to sign up for my first 5K fun run!

Back