Don't you just hate it when....

I've been away for a bit and only just catching up with everything. Everyone is having a rough time and I just wanted to say that I'm sending big hugs. Welshtigger I really hope you can get rid of the person who insists on undermining you as nobody needs that kind of negativity in their lives. If they think they are trying to motivate you to get help then they probably don't realise they are part of the problem. If you are struggling to get help with counselling there are some good resources you can probably access from your library (each library is supposed to carry a number of self help books funded by local authorities but not sure what the take up is like). Really hope things pick up for you. Hugs :)

Trouble is they don't know what to do with you if you are. I'm scared of medication and taking it stresses me out so it kind of backfires if that makes sense?x

I've never suffered with depression thank God but my mum has and she's on meds, it can take a while to get the dose right but it's amazing the difference that you can see in her. If your doctor is not being helpful is there another one at the practice you can see?

*Emsie* said:
I struggle with the fact that I can't cope and the thought of having to have meds just confirms it. I don't mean that with any disrespect to anyone who does take meds as its probably me that loses out because I don't take them.

I understand exactly how you feel :(

Trouble is they don't know what to do with you if you are. I'm scared of medication and taking it stresses me out so it kind of backfires if that makes sense?x

Would you consider therapy of some description Emsie? It helps better if you are on meds, but I still found it enourmously useful. Or maybe a life coach? Sounds silly but when I last suffered I refused meds and just did Life couaching sessions.

*Emsie* said:
I struggle with the fact that I can't cope and the thought of having to have meds just confirms it. I don't mean that with any disrespect to anyone who does take meds as its probably me that loses out because I don't take them.

I completely agree (I also feel like this ALOT) X

kingleds said:
Would you consider therapy of some description Emsie? It helps better if you are on meds, but I still found it enourmously useful. Or maybe a life coach? Sounds silly but when I last suffered I refused meds and just did Life couaching sessions.

I know that is for Emsie? But I'm interested in knowing more about life coaching? How did you get them? Thanks x

Welshtigger said:
I know that is for Emsie? But I'm interested in knowing more about life coaching? How did you get them? Thanks x

I actually found it through my Employee Assistance Program. It really helped me. If you google life coaches you should find one in your area.

They often do CBT & counselling aswell x

Was worried that I would cause offence by my last post but wanted to try and explain why I didn't want the meds so glad people understood.
I have had counselling before and saw a really good woman who did life coaching/therapy etc but unfortunately its the cost of it and last time I went to the docs they pushed the meds not the therapy.
I would recommend the coaching WT x
I've always been up and down but this current job really doesn't seem to help I think its partly to do with the fact I work school hours and am stressed about my son while hes at school even though I couldn't do anything about it if I wasn't at work would still have to send him!
I feel like something needs to give but not sure what can as I need to work for money same as everyone else!

*Emsie* said:

Rather than thinking that it means you can't cope how about viewing them as they are, a medication to treat a problem. If you had an infection, you would take anti biotics, if you had a headache you would take painkillers. Why not take medication to help a chemical imbalance which is basically what depression is. If given the correct ones for you (can be trial and error) it doesnt give you a high feeling, nor make you numb to emotion, it simply lifts the constant low feeling. It doesnt change you, it restores you to who you should be. They are really nothing to be scared of hun, hope you feel better soon xxx

jezzi999 said:
I understand what you mean exactly Emsie x

What makes me sad is that a lot of people feel the same and I think a lot of it comes from the stigma of mental health problems, and especially the stigma of antidepressants.

So many people see them as "cheating" or a "quick fix" and that really annoys me. No one says to a diabetic that insulin is cheating and their pancreas just needs to work harder! But when our brains don't produce enough seretonin or don't process it correctly, somehow it's our own fault and we need to buck up.

Or "they're not natural" - no but neither are antibiotics, paracetamol, chemotherapy - but we don't pick on those and tell people to just stop being sick and get on with it..,.

Sorry pet peeve rant!

Great point I completely agree! X

DYJHIW Everything seems to come at once, money wise. Need to get a few Christmas presents still, probably about £100 - £150 worth, little ones school photo's need ordering and they're stupid prices, he has a school trip coming up, we have a Christmas trip coming up as well, which will be a lot cheaper thanks to my mum but its all still money.

Rather than thinking that it means you can't cope how about viewing them as they are, a medication to treat a problem. If you had an infection, you would take anti biotics, if you had a headache you would take painkillers. Why not take medication to help a chemical imbalance which is basically what depression is. If given the correct ones for you (can be trial and error) it doesnt give you a high feeling, nor make you numb to emotion, it simply lifts the constant low feeling. It doesnt change you, it restores you to who you should be. They are really nothing to be scared of hun, hope you feel better soon xxx

And I don't mean by the way (I know how easy it is to come across wrongly online!) that people should be pushed into taking them if they dont want to, or that they are some miracle cure. They're not, although they are generally an effective treatment.

I just see a lot of people through work, that would benefit greatly from antidepressants but won't take them due to stigma and that saddens me.

You are probably both right but its hard to put your trust in something that you don't trust and I don't have a regular Dr that I have a relationship with either, also the fact that they take time to work is of putting and the trial and error thing too.

jezzi999 said:
Most patients I see are ok on the first antidepressant they try, with a small percent needing to switch to a different one. They generally start on a low dose then gradually build up. The first two weeks people can feel a little rough but after that the changes you see in people can be amazing.

I totally understand where you are coming from as despite working in the medical field I was reluctant to go on them until things reached absolute crisis point, but in retrospect I wish I had gone on them earlier as they turned my life around and let me be "me" again.

Wouldn't want to badger you to go on them as its a very personal decision, but if you ever have any questions you can always PM me.

The first two weeks are rough, but I'm now beginning to feel brighter, not dreading things and trying to stay home all the time.

Back