Dreadful relapse yesterday. Please read if you are struggling.

Mr Creosote

On Day 7 : Here are the excuses. Was on a night shift Friday night, wife went to work on Saturday and I had our 4 young kids to look after.

I was tired, hungry and the kids have never been so loud [or that is how it felt]. Thought for 2 mins before giving into temptation. My head was exploding.
1 whole french stick with lurpak and Ham plus a pile of spagetti bolognaise.

The day was then eating on and off until midnight.

Somehow have managed to get back on track today. The reason for this was I compared how I felt going to bed last night than how I had felt the preceding 6 nights. I felt the hope of finally losing the weight at last had gone. Mood 1/10. Did not want to feel like that tonight so got back in the zone first thing this morning and it has gone well.

Hope this thread helps people who are struggling. A relapse, EVEN IF IT IS JUST FOR ONE DAY, makes you feel so low emotionally. It is far worse than struggling through the bad times on this LT diet.

I believe I am back on track.

For peoples interest. I was 18st 10lbs last Sunday, Saturday morning I was 18st 1lb, this morning after my relapse I was 18st 5lbs. That is a lot of damage to do. We all know a relapse isn't going to stop at a piece of toast. Don't kid yourself, its gonna be a full on food fest till midnight.

And getting back on track is not guaranteed. I might just have been lucky this time.

Hope this is of use to someone.

A very true post, Mr Creosote!

Put it behind you and move on.....you will be at 18st 1lb again before you know it. A nibble always turns into a binge as you say!:)

Try not to beat yourself up too much after all we are only human, and good for you to get right back on track, I think the weight gain is only water and you will soon shift that. Keep your chin up hun

I agree. I keep telling people food addiction is just as powerful and in some ways harmful as any other addiction.

When I was craving for that French Bread it was as powerful, if not more so, than anything I ever experienced with alcohol [I have been abstinent from alcohol for over 10 years so I know what I'm talking about]

If you said the side effects of a certain drug was massive weight gain, cardiac problems, diabetes, low self esteem, joint pain, Cancer of the colon etc etc, the government would make it a Class A drug.

Obviously you cannot abstain from food long term. But interestingly enough A.A don't say you cannot drink, they just say you CAN'T DRINK ALCOHOL.

I would argue certain foods for food addicts like us are addictive, some are not.
UNREFINED CARBOHYDRATES are addictive. i.e Sugar, pastries, white bread, white pasta. How often did you ever crave salad or vegetables or even lean meat ?

My argument is that when we return to food we should avoid certain foods for good. If we do not it is likely we will put all the weight back on. Most of us can never moderate our intake of unrefined carbs. We should treat sugar etc as an alcoholic does alcohol. If we do not I feel we may never totally recover form this addiction.

Yep dont beat yourself up!! its still early days,you can put this blip behind you & get back on track,you are only human after all...good luck with this week!!! caz xx

Must say if i had a french stick & some lurpak in the house,i also would be tempted, it sounds scrummy,good job i havn't... lol

Your post was very useful hun. I'm struggling so badly right now and that was just what I needed to get my head back into the game. Thanks xx

I am with you Ro Larens i am craving savouries much more than sweet. I am craving chicken and fruit at the moment. Not fussed about chocolate and crisps anymore or my biggest downfall coke x

Creo it is done and you are back on track again just hold that feeling with you next time you feel temptation snapping at your heels x

I am craving food I never even eat!, Kebabs, Cheeseburgers, Chips with cheese etc..., nothing sweet and I never eat those foods, probably once a year if that and usually been drunk and dont really remember !. All week I have fantasised over a kebab, and its been years since I ate one and didnt like it that much then. I have oven chips once in a blue moon but a holiday in America was the last time I had a cheeseburger and have never had chips and cheese so whats that about :D:D:D

PS I even dreamt of kebabs last night and had such problems passing the shop today. The only thing I miss that I actually eat is diet coke, (drink not eat but you know what I mean :D)

Yes Creosote I have lapsed a few times now & done so much damage ,check out my 16lb weight gain :-(
I am so glad you are back on track & have the ability to sit & logic how you felt in both situations because with the attitude you have you will be a true winner on this hun & so much slimmer in no time.
My hubby copes really well with LT on nights but it really is the home life thats the demon & it does take some true self control (of which we all lack from time to time or we wouldnt be on here).
Good luck & just re-read your own words if ever you feel liek 'snacking' again cos you talk alot of sense :)
Niki
x

I have had low carb extras from the beginning and forgot what was keeping me sane was ketosis. I will try my hardest to get back into the zone cos it's hell when your not

Last edited:
Hi Angie-bum, considering you have been having low carb extras since the beginning your weight loss has been really good, what have you been having?

Low carb: mini baby bels, roasted chicky portions (with skin mostly taken off:rolleyes:), ham, cheddar, bacon, eggs boiled and fried. Not everyday, mostly at the weekends and in small amounts. Just a small taste to keep me sane.

I think I need to take things in hand and go on SS 100% and lots of water. As I seem to have some pesky glycogen stores that need using up!:(

Last edited:
Is a donner kebab low carb :D:D:D with chilli sauce and garlic mayo :sigh::sigh:, I could leave the pitta bread :D:D:D I dont even eat them, last time I ate one I didnt even like it- fatty and salty yuk, but have become obsessed I keep looking at the clock to see when the kebab shop closes, only problem is I dont actually know when it closes :D

well done for posting such an honest and eye opener thread, I have been struggling all day and was very tempted my partner took home some chinese however since reading this, it has made me stop, I certainly dont want to gain anything that I have lost otherwise that is going to put me more into a slumber than I was. Congrats for getting back on track, we are all human at the end of the day and all the best for your weigh in, take care

Wise wise word creo. And as I'm havin a hungry day they were very helpful to me. I need the feeling that I'm losing the weight too much -I'm too happy to risk it over a bloody take away or whatever.

I also agree 100% about the addiction -to me LT is rehab for food addicts -you can tell drug addicts or aloholics to stop drinking that's sensible -hard but sensible and doable - for some at least (well done to you by the way, by staying tee total for ten years you have proven you have the willpower to do LT so do keep going!). BUt you can't tell ppl to never eat again. I hadn't thought about the carb & sugar addiction thing -I was still thinking after Lt 'everything in moderation' but now your words have made me think. I've lost the weight before on Atkins and put it all back on. Ok I think it was pure over indulgence and not just because I went back to carbs but it has made me think about my relationship with food more.

Regards to your relapse -get thinking about how to control temptation next time -though you seem to have thought about it already. Well done on getting back on the horse and keep going. You're an inspiration to many of us here and it would be a shame to disappoont yourself when you absolutely know that you can do this.

great post, i to look at food like you and see food as an addiction an best not to have some foods, i had a blip few days ago, its never just a slice, it turns into a full on binge, then i feel sick and worse.and getting back on track is so hard. just have to keep thinking of the weight what i am losing x

Back