Dress sizes

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
I always remember when i went shopping years ago with my mum and my Nana. I picked up a skirt in 16-18, and the look of horror on my Nanas face will always remain with me, and the whisper to my mum "is the bairn in an 18?!" and mums shameful nod. Broached this subject with my mum yesterday, and he views are still the same! She was complaining how she couldn't get into her size 12 M&S skirts ("which are known for their generous-ness with fabric"), and commented on how my new frock is an 18. I said that as far as i was concerned, the label doesn't matter, as long as it fits and looks good. She seems to have a very old fashioned attitude to it all - eat less cake and go for a run! But as someone who doesn't eat cake, i can get quite infuriated! In many ways, i wish there wasn't such a hang up on the size label, and yes, i'm guilty of it myself some times! I have size 12-18 in my wardrobe, different items, and all fit, which is madness. And don't get me started on shoes - i take between a 3 and a 5!

Back