Drinking Water?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by sarah_x, 16 January 2011 Social URL.

1. sarah_x

sarah_x Member

Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    I have heard a number of people saying if you swap your coffee/tea for water your weight loss is always higher. Has anyone given this a go? I always thought drinking lots of water would make you weigh heavier (I know its healthy but our bodies store water?) :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. mod-karen79

mod-karen79 rainbows holiday buddy :)

i lose alot more if i drink 2 litres of water every day. obviously don't drink loads on weigh-in day!

4. Chicaloca

Chicaloca Silver Member

Start Weight:
    20st10lb
    Current Weight:
    20st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(1.38%)
    Diet:
    sw
    Seeing as coffee and tea are water just flavoured essentially I cant really see that working!

I drink 2 lts a day, it is good for you, as often we think we are hungry when infact we are just thirsty (or in my case bored!)

5. SlimmingKitchen

SlimmingKitchen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13.5lb(9.82%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I find my losses are better if I stick to water or my lemon green tea which I have when im at work xx

6. lurverick

lurverick Now to maintain.....

Start Weight:
    12st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st3lb
    Lost(%):
    4st1lb(31.4%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world.
    my losses are also better if i make a huge effort to drink just water/squash.

7. got2bslim

got2bslim Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(17.74%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    ooooh i am going to try and drink 2 litres of water now this week and see what happens xx

8. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Tea is a diuretic, which makes your body get rid of water, so not good at keeping you hydrated. Drinking lots of water helps to keep your metabolism high, and flushing through any toxins.

9. jellibabe

jellibabe Full Member

Diet:
    S&S
    Yeah drinking a lot of water flushes your body out nicely, it also helps your body to stop retaining water.

10. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    too much caffeine from tea or coffee, as well as drinking too many fizzy drinks etc, can actuallly have a negative effect by making you bunged up, especially because SW is such a high fibre eating plan.

Drinking water helps to loosens stools, so you should always make sure you are drinking enough of it when you diet consists of high fibre.

A good tip is to have a cup of warm water every morning before starting your day, as this will help get your bowels moving :p. If you can't stand just the plain warm water on it's own, you can add a bit of lemon to it.

11. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(8.64%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    There's a further reason why drinking lots of water helps. Part of the 'flushing out' effect is because, if you don't get enough water, your kidneys can't do their work properly. As a lot of their job is filtering the liquids you ingest, non-water beverages can actually mean your kidneys have to work harder.

If your kidneys can't keep up with their workload, the liver has to help out. Which means that the liver can't do it's own jobs as effectively. And as the liver's jobs include processing vitamins, proteins, fats and other nutrients, regulating some hormones and enzymes, and processing any alcohol and other toxins you ingest, if the liver can't do it's job effectively, your metabolism slows doen and you're not going to lose as much weight.

12. nettie

nettie Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    i try to drink 2 litres a day, sometimes i drink more than that and some days i dont even drink 1 litre. I have heard that drinking 2 litres a day also helps to get rid of cellulite.... does anyone know if this is true?? x

13. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(8.64%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Well, it would help to reduce the toxins in your skin, so could minimise it... not sure it would actually 'get rid' of it though.

14. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    Don't go from drinking lots of caffeinne to drinking lots of water though, it will make you feel like utttter poop. Need to decrease it gradually because a sudden stop will shock your body and cause nasty headaches and tiredness.

15. Maximus

Maximus Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    6st11lb(38.78%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - The one that works!
    Another one to throw into the ring here is drinking hot/warm water.

I have two people at work who do this - they swear it aids everything from indigestion to constipation - not sure how warmer water differs from cold, but then again I'm no doctor!

16. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    warm water is easier to "digest" and a good detox for liver and kidneys.

cold water is harder to digest and burns more calories for your body to heat it up.

17. RubyMoss

RubyMoss Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10.9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1.1lb(0.66%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Since I recently got a desk job, I've been drinking water instead of snacking!

I've had less headaches since, and I usually drink about 2L a day. Sticking to this properly this week, and hoping forr a good loss next week. A lot of people swear by Water Week's!

L-J

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. BeckyT

BeckyT Always trying!

Start Weight:
    13st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4.5lb(31.43%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Someone has just suggested to me that I drink more water and I am going to take their advice however i do have one question....

Is it ok to add a sugar free squash (syn free) to the water or should it really be plain water? :wave_cry:

20. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I often add sugar free squash and I think I might've read somewhere that it's fine to drink squash, as well as water.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.