Dyed red hair!

-Laura-

Silver Member
I recently went back to having red hair (professionally done) - well, reddy brown with bright red highlights, as opposed to dark brown and light brown/blondey highlights.

I've now washed it twice, just twice, and my bright red is fading to pink!!

I know there are some seasoned hair dyers about on here... why is this happening?! It didn't happen last time I had it dyed red, at least nowhere near as quickly.. and how can I prevent it next time? Bright shocking red is a much better look than a dirty pink!!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

What type of shampoo/conditioner are you using?
The cheap ones are made from a wax that will coat the hair and when it comes off it takes the colour down too.
Switch to a professional shampoo/conditioner and dont use it toooo much.
I have bright orange hair so I understand. =)

After washing it only twice I don't think this should be happening. I would be going back to the hairdresser and showing them. Might just be crap dye and if they've recently changed suppliers or something they need to know. They might re-do it for free for you. I had a bad dye job once and thats what the hairdresser did for me. Its worth a go.

What type of shampoo/conditioner are you using?
The cheap ones are made from a wax that will coat the hair and when it comes off it takes the colour down too.
Switch to a professional shampoo/conditioner and dont use it toooo much.
I have bright orange hair so I understand. =)

I'm using the Aussie Colour Mate stuff at the moment, which I thought was a pretty good brand - my hair tends to wash well with most brands though, so I tend to go for whatever's on offer rather than paying attention to what goes into the bottle! Will certainly think about that in future though!

After washing it only twice I don't think this should be happening. I would be going back to the hairdresser and showing them. Might just be crap dye and if they've recently changed suppliers or something they need to know. They might re-do it for free for you. I had a bad dye job once and thats what the hairdresser did for me. Its worth a go.

Hadn't thought of that, and certainly wouldn't have thought of going back! If it fades any more then I might do that this weekend :)

Hello! Sorry I have snuck over here from the CD board, but I have bright red hair. I never had it done at the hairdressers and I dye it myself with those Live XXL colours (the brightest red one).

Red is the colour which always fades quickly, no matter how professionally it is done (and ironically it is the hardest colour to get rid of!!) I dye mine about once every 3 weeks which is quite good for red hair as I know people who have had theirs done every week at the hairdressers.

I just use normal Timotei shampoo but don't condition much. Apparently using a dollop of Mayo (has to be full fat so not very diet friendly haha but as least you're not eating it!!) with your shampoo keeps the red colour vibrant for longer. It's worth a try!

I just use normal Timotei shampoo but don't condition much. Apparently using a dollop of Mayo (has to be full fat so not very diet friendly haha but as least you're not eating it!!) with your shampoo keeps the red colour vibrant for longer. It's worth a try!

Ah I use LOADS of conditioner, maybe need to hold off that a bit then.

Not sure I fancy walking round with mayo hair... but like you say, worth a try!!

Go back to the hairdresser - they sometimes will have a bad batch of dye, i am sure if you complain they will re-do with a different batch of colour.

I bet you wont be the only one to have gone back to them babes xxx

Back