Phoenyx goes primal v2.0

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
Fresh start, fresh diary :) I did really well with primal eating from Easter until July (2 stone down) but have been struggling since then. So I think it's time for a clean slate, and to remember the golden rule: keep it simple, stupid!

Here's my basic plan:

1. Low carb, primal eating: freely eat meat, fish, veg, eggs. Moderate eating of nuts, fruit, high fat dairy (not milk), coffee, red wine, dark choc

2. Exercise 6 days a week for 30-60 mins. For fasting days, this should be low intensity eg walking. On non fasting days this can be more intense eg insanity dvd or running. Anythinh involving movement counts as my exercise, although I would like to do sprints once a week

Optional extras

3. Fasting days (one meal only) twice a week, mon & thurs
4. All other days to have at least 3 meals and optional snacks if needed. Aim to eat 30g protein within an hour of waking - supposed to be v good for beating cravings. I want to cut down on meal frequency but think this may be a problem for me at the moment.
5. Intense exercise can be preceded by a banana, and since the goal is to prevent bingeing, all intense workouts should be followed by a low carb protein shake.
6. Sundays - high calorie day, Optional cheat meal but only after 2 low carb meals - keep a craving sheet during the week which I can refer to for cheat if wanted
7. Plan meals / exercise in advance - lack of convenient food / a plan is often a trigger for me!

The only thing I'm not sure on yet is calorie counting. I don't want to continue to count calories, but I had greatest weight loss success when I did count as it actually made sure I was eating enough calories - I tend to cut down then binge otherwise.

Last edited:
Plan until tues:

Thurs: fast until 7pm, then salmon & stir fry veg for tea, exercise: insanity recovery DVD
Fri: am: half protein shake followed by insanity pure cardio DVD followed by rest of protein shake and a couple of boiled eggs. Am at centre parcs for long weekend so lunch will be salad, boiled eggs and cold meats, and dinner at an American diner so meat & veg
Sat: exercise: cheer leading class and roller disco with my kids :) poss afternoon sprints / run, breakfast: shake plus coconut milk and berries, lunch: picnic stuff, dinner in restaurant (meat & salad)
Sun: exercise: walking / swimming with the kids, food: breakfast: Greek yoghurt & berries, couple of boiled eggs, lunch: roast (without potatoes or gravy), dinner: may skip it so I can break my fast earlier tomorrow, or tuna salad
Mon: exercise: horse riding, poss insanity recovery disc when i get home. food, skip breakfast, poss a late lunch at cafe, light tea (tuna salad?) when home
Tues: breakfast: shake followed by run

Hi Phoenyx, I found you and you sound positive and focused xenjoy Centre Park :)

Hi! Yup, back on track and v pleased to resist temptation whilst on holiday!

Centre parcs is great! So good to be away and to have time as a family :)

Good day today, v busy and as the first day back on track, I didn't eat until lunchtime because I wasn't hungry.

Lunch: (picnic) 2 slices thick carved ham, apple, black coffee
Dinner: (hanks diner) ribeye steak, salad, mojito (!), black coffee

Exercise: lots of walking, 2 hours playing in the "subtropical water paradise"! And 30 day shred 1.

Phoenyx said:
Hi! Yup, back on track and v pleased to resist temptation whilst on holiday!

Centre parcs is great! So good to be away and to have time as a family :)

Good day today, v busy and as the first day back on track, I didn't eat until lunchtime because I wasn't hungry.

Lunch: (picnic) 2 slices thick carved ham, apple, black coffee
Dinner: (hanks diner) ribeye steak, salad, mojito (!), black coffee

Exercise: lots of walking, 2 hours playing in the "subtropical water paradise"! And 30 day shred 1.

Certainly sound very focused and positive xx

I'm one of these weird people who finds it harder to stay on track at home than I do away! A knackering day today, loads of exercise!

B: Greek yoghurt, strawberries, almonds
L (picnic): tuna Nicoise salad with avocado instead of potato, apple
S latte (naughty!)
D restaurant: steak (trimmed coz it wasnt a particularly nice piece of meat, roasted veg, 175ml red wine
S black tea, a little dark chocolate

Exercise: 2 hrs splashing about in pool with kids, 1 hr at roller disco with kids, at least 2 hrs walking, 30 min run (lots of uphill - av. Heart rate for run was 153bpm, top was 173bpm!!!)

Phoenyx said:
I'm one of these weird people who finds it harder to stay on track at home than I do away! A knackering day today, loads of exercise!

B: Greek yoghurt, strawberries, almonds
L (picnic): tuna Nicoise salad with avocado instead of potato, apple
S latte (naughty!)
D restaurant: steak (trimmed coz it wasnt a particularly nice piece of meat, roasted veg, 175ml red wine
S black tea, a little dark chocolate

Exercise: 2 hrs splashing about in pool with kids, 1 hr at roller disco with kids, at least 2 hrs walking, 30 min run (lots of uphill - av. Heart rate for run was 153bpm, top was 173bpm!!!)

Wow Phoenyx, how do you manage all that activity in this heat?????

Dawnejoy said:
Wow Phoenyx, how do you manage all that activity in this heat?????

It's being at center parcs with young kids - older kids go off on their own but at 6 & 8 I have to do everything with them!

Exercise today: at least 2.5-3 hrs walking, cheer leading lesson, archery, 1 hr splashing in pool (not actually swimming but still quite active!)

Food:

B - apple and nuts
L - 1/4 roast chicken with BBQ sauce, large salad, diet coke (bit of a slip there!), Starbucks americano with a splash of soya milk
D - Aubergine and tomato grill (a little bechemel sauce), green beans, salad, tiny square (1" sq) of chocolate tart, black coffee

So not entirely paleo but a good attempt givem that we're eating out a lot. I'm pleased with my decisions - no chips, potatoes, pasta, rice etc at all :)

Phoenyx said:
It's being at center parcs with young kids - older kids go off on their own but at 6 & 8 I have to do everything with them!

Exercise today: at least 2.5-3 hrs walking, cheer leading lesson, archery, 1 hr splashing in pool (not actually swimming but still quite active!)

Food:

B - apple and nuts
L - 1/4 roast chicken with BBQ sauce, large salad, diet coke (bit of a slip there!), Starbucks americano with a splash of soya milk
D - Aubergine and tomato grill (a little bechemel sauce), green beans, salad, tiny square (1" sq) of chocolate tart, black coffee

So not entirely paleo but a good attempt givem that we're eating out a lot. I'm pleased with my decisions - no chips, potatoes, pasta, rice etc at all :)

I'm sure that with all the activity you will get a great result at next WI regardless of being not entirely on plan as you are still making really goo choices x

I found you too
A) because I've seen you around
B) because I'm nosy and C) I'm interested in researching a Paloe
diet....

Hello! It's been a v long time since I've been on here but I wanted to say hi (waves) and do an update because you are all such lovely peeps.

So I'm still sort of paleo (seeing it as a bit of a continuum at the mo!), I got down to 12.2 but then as I got fitter my exercise increased and I started binging. I spent about 2 weeks bingeing on and off and feeling really crap, but then a friend advised me to go on to mfp and calculate what I was eating. Somehow I'd cut back on fat and my calorie intake had dropped to around 1400, which given I tend to do around 600cals of exercise a day, was prob causing me to be hungry. I wasn't listening to the signals in time, just waited ages then fell face first into sugar.

Anyway, that left the choice of cut the exercise to a more reasonable level (the more paleo approach, I guess), or eat more. So I went for the latter. I'm currently calorie counting (v approx to make sure I'm hitting around 2000 cals), I've reintroduced some grains (only porridge in the morning and the occasional legume in a stew).

So I'm not paleo in the fact that I have porridge oats and the occasional legume, but I still follow the other rules - I avoid processed cr*p in general I don't eat sugar or artificially low fat foods, and The basis of my diet veg, some fruit, nuts, eggs, and well sourced meat and fish.

I'm glad to be back here and saying hello, and I hope that once I've finishedy exercise challenge (p90x), I'll be back properly. I still totally believe in the paleo lifestyle :)

Welcome back - i've cut back on exercise as decided that was another trap so even have whole days where i might not do much :eek: ;)

Kat1e said:
Welcome back - i've cut back on exercise as decided that was another trap so even have whole days where i might not do much :eek: ;)

Hi Katie! Exercise is definitely a trap, but somehow, over the last few months, I've got dramatically fitter. I've been fit before - I ran a marathon 10 years ago, but I only ran - lots of cardio, not much else. But I'm strong this time...10 man press ups strong!!! Which given that I'm still over 12 stone is no mean feat! Part of that is definitely because of paleo. Anyway, I want to push it a bit further. I thought I exercised because I had to, but actually, I'm thoroughly enjoying it - id like to get to the end of p90x (am on day 4 and loving it!) but I need to fuel it, and the way I was eating on paleo wasn't doing that. Now I know it can be done on paleo but I wasn't getting there. I was bingeing & stuff. Back to a place I didn't want to be.

Anyway, how are you? Are you still paleo / low carb? Must come & check out your diary xxx

Wow - you are strong! My arms still hopeless:D. Still loving the low carb lifestyle with primal tendancies! Feeling fit and fab - just poor having bought lots of clothes - oops!

Back