Eating 1500cals a day, walking 5 miles 5 days a week and losing 3lbs a week!

the thing is....... I have seen people have an off week and put on like 9 or 10lbs in weight.....

Yep, but it's only the water/glycogen that came off in the first week. You know...the weight we aren't counting ;)

like I said the diet industry is the most successful failed business in the world.

I do agree with you there. Dieting does it's job though....it's just that there is more to losing weight and keeping it off than dieting.
its very hard to maintain tho isn't it.

Well, to be honest, it's not hard at all now. When I've calorie counted in the past, I have had trouble maintaining, but that is nothing to do with the fact that I calorie counted. Just hadn't sorted the head stuff out.

Now I have.

Alot of people find maintenance very hard and spend years and years yo-ing and obsessing that the weight will al go back on.

Yep. I tried all sorts. SW, WW, Calorie counting, healthy eating. It all went back. Because it isn't the diet. It's the head stuff. Just so happened to get it seen to this time.

I found i didnt get the results in the gym that i would like, I gave up my gym membership due to money really, and just got walking......... I walk none stop for about 90mins 5 days a week and found the results are incredible, but if you think it doesnt work for you, I can only go on whats working for me, I wish you all the best in the route you have chosen.

Its walking I do, I go to the gym at work as I dont have time to do it out of work, walking 45 mins a day 5 times a week isnt too bad. I just wish it had got me somewhere... hmmm maybe thats the problem with walking on a treadmill ;)

Its walking I do, I go to the gym at work as I dont have time to do it out of work, walking 45 mins a day 5 times a week isnt too bad. I just wish it had got me somewhere... hmmm maybe thats the problem with walking on a treadmill ;)

Best thing I found about walking on a treadmill was that if it rained I didn't get wet - otherwise, nope it never made a difference to my weight loss either :rolleyes:

Feel I've got defend walking here. I don't care whether it helps me lose weight or not, I do it for the love of it. I walk between 6-10 miles on the South Downs every weekend so long as the weather lasts out. Don't do walking in the rain, and that's when I go to the gym. Must say though, I get a much better work out in the gym. You can't stop and admire the view or stop and take photos on a treadmill, so I walk a steady 5km per hour for 45 minutes. There is no way I walk at that steady speed on the Downs.

Suppose you've just got to find a form of exercise you enjoy and know that it is doing you good in the long run.

Feel I've got defend walking here. I don't care whether it helps me lose weight or not, I do it for the love of it.

I'm with you there. In fact, I never walk to help me maintain my weight. Just love walking :)

Feel I've got defend walking here.
THANKS!

Walking everyday at a fast comfortable pace does alot more than just help you burn up calories, it helps keep your heart healthy, it also is softer on your joints, helps fool your body to give up the fat. I am one of those unlucky people who seem to be very efficient at converting excess carbs into fat on my body, so naturally I don't overeat the simple forms, ie white bread, sugar, junk food, etc. In a famine I'll survive longer than most but in the weight battles I struggle. I think that too many people go for the extreme methods of weightloss because of the immediate weightloss (which of course is mainly water and glycegon) but the fact of the matter is, we ARE in control of what we eat, its one of the things noone else controls, so going to the diet industry like going to a club or a vlcd, is like giving control to someone else, them telling you what you should eat, and your paying for it (through the nose)too....... seems silly. There is a better way, and even tho many of you disagree, I feel that highlighting myself as an example proves that it does work. It seems strange but eating a decent amount of food, heathy food and not being told what you eat, but eating what you feel, is really liberating. Food does not control us, we control food. We buy our food, we prepare our food, we nourish our own bodies. Not feeding ourselves good food is like saying you don't care about yourself. I have had the worse two weeks of my life, did I comfort eat..... I wanted to.... but i realised that by doing that I would be punishing and hurting myself too and I should be the one person I should count on.... to be on my side and not hurt me. I guess I have become my own best friend, I motivate myself. I would love to see some people actually defending what I have to say because it may seem like the tougher route but in all honsety it is the easiest route I have ever tread.

so going to the diet industry like going to a club or a vlcd, is like giving control to someone else, them telling you what you should eat, and your paying for it (through the nose)too....... seems silly.

I dont feel Ive given control to anyone except myself. WW is giving me a healthy structured diet to follow, its not dictating to me what I can and cant eat, its educating me in whats healthy and better for me and encouraging me to make better choices while losing weight and helping me follow a plan which should be good to maintain.... dont think thats silly at all. Going to WW has changed my life, theres no monetary value on that.

I dont feel Ive given control to anyone except myself. WW is giving me a healthy structured diet to follow, its not dictating to me what I can and cant eat, its educating me in whats healthy and better for me and encouraging me to make better choices while losing weight and helping me follow a plan which should be good to maintain.... dont think thats silly at all. Going to WW has changed my life, theres no monetary value on that.

Thats good if you didnt know before you went to WW what was healthy to eat, but even so you have given control over because WW is all about point counting and food is given points..... so thats fine if you dont mind counting everything all the time forever....... but I dont count anything really...... i looosly tot up things but to be honest I dont even do that most days now..... i eat what I like when i like, i go out for dinner with friends and have a drink and maybe I will perhaps cut back for a couple of days after, walk abit more to compensate........ Good for you Starlight sounds like its working for you, hope you keep up the good progress.

Oh I dont intend to count points for ever not at all. But with what Ive learned I just naturally eat healthily now so thats what Ill take to maintenance. If Im having a night out I enjoy myself but still instinctively know what to have and when to stop, its the best of both worlds and if I do go over I know exactly how to rectify it without writing off a whole week.

Important thing is we all find the right system that works for us in getting the weight off and is sustainable when we get to goal.

This is of course true..... like I said at the beginning of this thread. There are many routes, many routes that give varying results. I've created this thread to show what success I am having and I am having some really terriffic results from eating healthily and walking. My eating habits have changed for good, and my risk of Diabetes has diminished, I was pre-diabetic and now my blood sugar is normal, I am not anaemic anymore too, mainly put that down to the amount of broccoli and berries I am eating lol.

If you dont intend to count WWpoints forever......... you may find that it will be hard to maintain what you eat when you finally leave....... maybe then you will go back to WW again...... who knows what might happen.

If you dont intend to count WWpoints forever......... you may find that it will be hard to maintain what you eat when you finally leave....... maybe then you will go back to WW again...... who knows what might happen.

I dont think so. Ive had a few weeks off here and there and not counted points and have sts or still lost. Ive never ever gained. WW isnt meant to be a way of life for ever, the diet is a means to an end but the lessons picked up along the way are what will help in the long term. I dont think anyone would count points for the rest of their life just to maintain, just like people dont stay on CD etc forever either.

I go back to my previous words...... The Diet Industry is the best failed industry in the world..... if it actually worked, they'd be no industry.

Some aspects of it do work Its not the diets that dont work, they do work, its people on them dont stick to them or go back to their old habits. The diets themselves work perfectly when you stick to them. If you go back to the old habits that got you overweight as soon as you come off them thats not the fault of the diet - thats your own fault.... I cant fault WW as working for me when Ive lost 12 stones on it.

I cant see we're going to agree here so maybe we should just agree to disagree

congrads on your wieghtloss.... 12stone is alot. Well Done! Its not that i am not agreeing with you I just think that you don't need someone or some organisation to tell you what is healthy and what isnt healthy to eat. I think deep down if everyone was honest they know what food is healthy to eat. The government have a free site which also gives out very good information for FREE. I just wanted to make the point that you don't need to pay out £5 a week to be weighed or £35 a week for special powders(which cost peanuts to make) to lose weight, you just need to be motivated and put yourself back in control of your life. Its fine for anyone to diet in anyway they like, and many people have successes, but also many people don't eventually everyone will leave these programme and eat and exercise how I am, I am doing that now, I am eating the way I will probably eat for the rest of my life, I havent even got a target weight.......... I'll stop losing weight when it stabilises, my weight will fall until it stops on the food pattern I eating for the rest of my life, if thats 14stone so be it, if its 10stone, the numbers dont really matter, as long as I am healthy.

Its stopped being about weight and weightloss and more about health and wellbeing, I walk 90mins briskly because I love doing it, It makes me feel good, and it has the benefits of making my heart stronger, and toning my thighs. I think about healthy fresh foods to eat as I think about the nutrition I am getting from these foods. I am happy and having success and was just wanting to share that.

Cherry said:
and have a sugar free redbull
I have a good sized breakfast bowl of Rice crispies and chocolate soya milk, yum, for dinner one of those tins with fruit and red bull,
I will have another bowl of rice crispies. I also sometimes have the odd packet of walkers crisps and maybe a kinder hippo biscuit, yum.
Glad you enjoyed them :) Once you get used to healthy eating, you'll find that these high caffeine, sugar, salt foods get less appealing, but you'll find that out for yourself.

Why don't you go onto the Calorie counting forum. I'm sure there are more people there that can give you some hints and tips. I'm away for a few days, but I'm sure Starlight wont mind popping in the CC forum to advise if you have any questions :cool:

Im actually fine, I've not asked any questions. I don't need any help counting calories, I am doing fine as I am. I started this thread to share my results and I have seem to have been met by abit of negativity. I am not really counting calories and am not really following any diet, I eat what I like. I like sugar free red bull because I don't drink tea and coffee, and one in the morning helps me perk up abit, like a cuppa coffee would help someone else.

Its seems that unless you are on packet foods or on another 'trademarked' diet like SW or WW, its like your not doing the right thing, like you gonna fail. I am doing my own thing and am loving it. I eat what I like, when I like and where I like. I am losing sufficient weight to validate to myself that I am eating ok.

Its seems that unless you are on packet foods or on another 'trademarked' diet like SW or WW, its like your not doing the right thing, like you gonna fail.

I dont think ANYONE has said that at all, in fact youve been congratulated on your weight loss and the fact your programme is working. Noone has so much as suggested youre going to fail, all we're doing, as actually happens on this forum is sharing our own thoughts and experiences... which last time I looked was allowed.

What ever works for each person, if your system works for you good on you. I know something like that wouldnt work for me. I like many people NEED the discipline and help of a structured diet and if thats seen to be 'buying into' the diet industry then personally Im not in the least bothered. Any diet that has got me 12 stone lighter is good in my book but Im not for a second saying WW or anything else is the only diet that works.

As I already said in an earlier post, the main thing is we all find the system that works for us.

Sarted on
August 16th - 20 stone 11lbs
August 23rd - 20 stone 5lbs
August 30th - 20 stone 1lbs
Septem 6th - 19 stone 11lbs
Septem 19th - 19 stone 5lbs
Septem 13th - 19 stone 2lbs
Septem 27th - 19 stone
Octobe 4th - 18 stone 10lbs
Octobe 11th - 18 stone 7lbs
Octobe 18th - 18 stone 5lbs :D

Back