eating and then exercising??

shrinkingalice

Silver Member
How long should i wait after ive eaten till i exercise?? Tried looking it up but couldnt find anything :)

thanks

It depends on what you ate and how much, but about an hour is average any less and you wont feel great,but if its only a little exercise like walkingyou will be ok to start much quicker.

It depends what you have eaten really. I used to have a protein shake and a banana on the way into the gym and start the cardio straight away and it never affected me.

If you have had a big meal with lots of carbs you are likely to feel sick and get a stitch if you excercise straight away.

If you really need to eat beforehand, why not try fruit and yogurt, ryvita and cottage cheese or a bowl of weetabix? All contain slow release carbs that will keep you going for longer in the gym.

If I have a proper meal, I tend to leave a couple of hours before exercising. I often have an early tea with the children at 5pm, then hop on the cross-trainer at 7pm when they go to bed. When I go to aerobics, I have a snack a couple of hours before, then have dinner when I get home.

If you go by the swimming rule, you will be more comfortable as you do around 30 mins allows the food to enter the upper intestine, but this depends on the individual. If you are talking about fat burning and met rate stimulation then this happends over hours. It was mentioned about eating bananas when at the gym .... I laugh as bananas are slow burning foods the benefit is usually two to three hours after the gym not during !!.

Phil x

I find banana's best for the quick energy release they give me when i am at the gym at 6.30am, i kind of feel sick without one! They do provide a quick release and also a longer lasting release due to the unique blend of vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates that foster a quick and efficient conversion to useable fuel.

Overall - they are 'top banana' :cool:

Good point ... but potassium is not good in med/ levels the effects are hard on the kidneys and on the cardio system. On the other hand what gym go-ers like is the suger rush effect from the glucose which is energy converted, but is short lived in high level excersice.
The other good thing as you say is that it suppress acid in the stomach. But its best not to go to the gym before breakfast, as what usually happens is that after the gym you don't feel like eating. If the excersice is for weight loss then you need to give the met rate something to burn. They say that 35% of expelled energy is lost if excersie is done on a empty stomach!! that's 35 % MORE you need to do later.

Phil x

Back