Eating disorders...

slinky1131

Was just reading about the 20 stone girl who ended up with anorexia after doing LL. it's so awful to go from one extreme to another like that. Does anyone know or has heard about anyone struggling with eating after this type of diet?

I think it's probably pretty common across all diets tbh, by common I mean there's bound to be some people who have the potential to develop an eating disorder on any 'diet', but I don't think it's exclusive to a VLCD

I know that programme that was on BBC last year that looked at all the major diets got laid into VLCD's, but the girl on it who was on WW ended up with anorexia and obsessed/lived on zero point food.

I think when you've struggled with your weight for so long, then the potential is always there.

I had to stop ww and sw as I was worried I'd end up with an eating disorder. The pressure before weigh in was too much so I'd end up starving myself and taking laxatives. Not clever at all. I think a vlcd diet works for me as I stopover to eat/drink and everything controlled for me if that makes sense?

I can see why some people might end up anorexic after being on a VLCD to be honest because the lack of hunger when in ketosis and the control you feel you have in terms of consuming so few calories and feeling ok with it might then result in someone feeling that they need that control all the time. Not likely to happen to be though! The day I become anorexic is the day hell freezes over :)

I think the anorexia kicks in because the weightloss is very addictive.

Some (not all) people have an addictive personality, if this was the case then yes i suppose a vlcd could very easily trigger an eating disorder. But then as said above, any diet could flick that switch.

i lost 3 stone on lipotrim last year, and for a while afterwards i was terrified of food and felt bad what ever i ate, i did say to my fella i can really see how these diets can make you have an eating disorder afterwards as food became so bad to me, everything i ate i felt fat even if it was small, everytime i ate something id look in the mirror and feel and see fat, even though id got down to a size 12 and saw fat i was not a happy time, i did manage to over come it and gain all my weight back lol

I know someone, she was a size 16, joined WW and is now a size 6. She doesn't eat anything with fat or sugar, won't drink milk cos of the fat or carb content. I've only ever seen her eat carrots and that's it. She told me she spends £7 a week on her food shopping. Her bones are so bad that she developed problems in her pregnancy and then afterwards still can't walk. I think it's all down to what's happening in your life (she has a husband who likes to tell her she's fat when she's pregnant, and basically makes it known she's lucky to have him) and if you have a controlling personality. Suppose it can happen to anyone.....not me though lol I can't wait to start to eat healthy again lol

Back