Eating disorders

1978Emma

Eating disorders and eating disorder therapy:

I am sure that on the minimins site there are many people with diagnosed and undiagnosed eating disorders and I think its so important to discuss this issue and the need for professional eating disorder therapy.

I know from personal experience that eating disorder therapy is extremely useful, now when I say that I don't mean some diet counsellor who works with something like LL or such I mean a properly trained therapist who specializes in eating disorders be that anorexia, bulimia, binge eating , compulsive eating etc. It is important to see a "proper" therapist not some Joe Bloggs who has done a short course in it as eating disorders are serious and have often taken over a persons life for years, the wrong help can be at best not useful and worst bordering on dangerous.

VLCDs should not be used if you have a diagnosed eating disorder :-

If you have been diagnosed with an eating disorder you would not be advised ever to do any VLCD as it makes things ten times worse, VLCDs can of course work for many people I know but for someone with an actual eating disorder and the obsessive thoughts around food and weight etc that go with that eating disorder, a VLCD just leads to those thoughts increasing and getting worse in the long run, even those people who are used to eating lots of food can go the other way to getting obsessed with the feeling of having very little inside them, I did that prior to getting proper help!.

My story :

I have been diagnosed with a binge eating disorder myself which began as a young child, I have almost no memories of my childhood that aren't food connected, for me it was a source of comfort, a friend I could rely on but eating disorders have a way of getting out of control and years on when I ended up being sexually abused by a man I knew over a two year period my binge eating got way out of hand and has resulted in me weighing a massive amount and feeling horrid about myself. My days were basically complete starvation for most of the day and then a massive binge in the evening.

An eating disorder is not about food!

Far too often people think eating disorders are about food, food is not really the issue, we all concentrate with eating disorders on eating too much or too little but again I say its nothing to do with food, its purely a way of dealing with unwanted emotions, its a way of self soothing, you could use food or lack of it, alcohol, drugs anything really its all about avoidance of emotions and being able to avoid those emotions / feelings by doing what is termed maladaptive behaviours now for me thats binge eating and severe OCD for others it could be binge eating and making themselves sick or drugs and alcohol etc etc. The key to recovering from an eating disorder is first getting the right help, secondly the realisation that its your emotions that you need to face and thirdly that you need to learn new ways of coping with those emotions rather than relying on avoidance behaviours.

Therapy :

I am going through intense eating disorder therapy at the moment and its so hard, it drains me emotionally but you know what for the first time in years I am not having to binge as I am facing those difficult emotions and learning other ways of handling them, its not easy and its a very long process but it is so rewarding and anyone with a true eating disorder needs this help.

Think about looking into DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy) on eating disorder grounds?, its not an easy form of therapy to get or complete but its often used to deal with things like eating disorders and well worth looking into. I know you would need a full diagnosis and full assessment to get such a service, I had to have both but if you then get it on the NHS or through an eating disorder charity organisation etc it will be your saving grace.

Also DBT is a very practical therapy which often is better for those with eating disorders than purely talking therapy , talking therapy alone can help but is often not enough if you have a serious eating disorder you need to learn new skills as well and that is where DBT really comes into its own.

I am sorry to have written so much its just something I have quite a lot of insight into and experience of and thought it might help to point people in the right direction. I am having help from an eating disorder charity who run DBT individual therapy and group sessions and its helping me so much.

Em x

Last edited:
Hi Em

Interesting post and I am glad you are getting on well with DBT. Have you heard of B-EAT? I have several friends with eating disorders and found that website quite helpful in how to provide support as a friend and for other further information.

thats a great idea, I have heard of it and will certainly look it up, also how lovely of you to do that to support your friends battling eating disorders, I know that an ed can not just put pressure on the individual with it but their families and friends so good on you for sticking by your friends. Em xx

Em you are so right, it is a pressure on friendship as it can be so upsetting/frustrating to feel like no matter what you say or do it will be of no effect. However I have realised that its essential you are patient and supportive and try and help as much as you can and although sometimes it seems like you are speaking to a brick wall I like to hope that some compliments/comments do filter through and make a difference. The thing I worry about at the moment (I live with two other girls both of whom have ed to a certain degree) is that through my attempts to lose weight, I am instigating a competitive streak between them or somehow worsening the problem.

I can imagine its not easy being a friend to someone with an eating disorder, I know for me I have tried to keep my binge eating a secret to a certain extent from my friends as much as possible although they have seen me lose loads of weight and then regain loads of weight and more besides so its not totally a secret that I battle with it for sure. My family especially my mum has tended to be my support and it takes its toll on her as sometimes when in the depths of it either with the binge eating or the starvation it is as you said "like talking to a brick wall", I don't mean to be like that but the eating disorder itself makes you so obsessive / determined and most all rigid as hell on ideas etc that sometimes however much deep down I know my mum is right I just don't want to or even sometimes can't hear what shes saying. This is why for me seeing an eating disorder therapist is helping me as she challenges my way of thinking and after all having an ed means your way of thinking isn't "normal" so you need to be challenged but she knows how to do it and also I will not tell her where to go ha ha like I would maybe do with my mum!;)

The difficulty is when living with other girls often weight can be an issue amongst them, I live alone but if I get together with my sister or my female cousin, we are all trying to lose weight and I know they become very competitive whereas I just can't be bothered as I have so much more to lose than them and am battling this ed on top, the thing is you can't control how people will react to what you are doing, to a degree that is their issues, you need to focus ultimately on number one which I know can be hard to do but you have to put your health and weight loss issues first which I know is easier said than done.

Em xx

Thanks for the information. I have a close friend who is struggling constantly with her eating disorder and your info has helped me to understand a bit more how to support her helpfully! xx

thanks for the lovely reply, hope your friend get the help she needs, Em xx

Me too Emma, me too. x

Hi Emma,

I just wanted to encourage you in your battle to resolve your binge eating disorder. I suffered with this too, from childhood through until very recently. Until my early thirties I didn't know I had an eating disorder - I was just conscious that I was fat, so I dieted off and on - but of course you can't fix an eating disorder with a diet. (Personally I'm not convinced you can fix simple overweight/obesity with a diet either, but that's another debate)

I did see a psychologist for a while for my BED, and also tried things like Overeaters Anonymous, and a self-help approach based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - but I only ever got partial, temporary relief. What really seems to be controlling my BED - and general overeating - now are slimpods (see the Slimpod sub forum for more details) - remarkable really, as they are not specifically addressed at it. I'm not sure whether slimpods would be appropriate for someone with other types of ED, but for people who binge, they are certainly worth a look.

Good luck with your recovery,
Barbara

Hi Barbara, I have never heard of slimpods, what are they? sorry to sound dumb! Oh and I couldn't agree with you more on all that you say, its certainly not easy recovering from an eating disorder and like you for many years didn't realise I had one, just thought I was fat and greedy but now realise it started around aged 8 and continued from then on to lesser and greater degrees throughout my life, it really feels so good to be finally making head way with it, for me understanding my relationship with emotions and use of food has been key but its still early days so I just take it a day at a time. Em xx

Slimpods are voice recordings which use the language of suggestion to retune your unconscious mind, so you start to think, and then behave, differently around food and exercise. You can buy them as either MP3 downloads or CD's. Each one is about 10 minutes long, and there are several different ones with a slightly different focus. You have to listen to them every day for a minimum of six weeks (and then keep going for as long as you feel you need to), and do some other daily tasks such writing down the positive changes you notice.

The amazing thing is - there is no food plan as such, no banned foods, and no screwing up your willpower to avoid "naughty" foods - it just works in your subconscious mind, so that what you want to eat changes. For me, it is as thought someone has reached inside my brain, found the knobs which control my appetite, and turned them way down. I want smaller portions, the cravings for the foods I used to binge on are far less frequent, and pretty weak then they do come. Therefore, I don't binge any more, and I hardly ever eat to the point where I feel full.

The Slimpod forum is a sub forum of this one - lots of info and experience there. Some people don't get on with them, but for those who stick with them, the results are amazing.

Barbara

Hi Emma,
Wishing you luck :)

I too was a binge eater, a secret eater, an emotional eater and have been listening to slimpods for 8 months now. I now eat normally:) I think for emotional eating etc it takes longer to work which is why so many give in without giving them long enough to work their magic :( which is sad as if you stick with them they work for a very high percentage of people :) Theres a link to my slimpod blog in my signature :)

jackie
x

wow thanks guys for your replies, the slim pods sound like a fab idea, something I will def look into. I am not following a plan as such, its more like a healthy eating regime I guess with built in treats, for me nothing is off limits which helps me to get away from the ideas of "bad foods", nothing being off limits is working for me as I am not feeling hard done by as I have done with previous "diets", it feels like I am doing a more middle of the road approach this time, moderation I guess, feels like a lifestyle change which from what you are saying seems what the slim pods are about so they sound like a very useful tool that I will want to use. I wish I knew they had existed before now, well I'm glad I know about them now thats for sure! The slim pod approach seems to be similar to my dialectical behaviour therapy which deals with mindfulness, distress tolerance etc. Em xx

It does sound very similar :D well done you :D Also by not banning any foods we are not so likely to crave them, this is what I find. I am also 'trying' to chew my food 20 times. I am failing miserably at this at the moment but determined to master it as it stops us overeating as much :D It certainly looks like its working well for you Emma :D which is fab :D x

thanks JackieN, you are doing so well as well, I am also trying to take longer when eating, I used to eat so fast now I take my time plus I need to as I have smaller portions ha ha also I do still have food treats but make sure they are planned like meals out and I then allow myself access to whatever foods I like but I am limited in a way as its in public and I feel I am much more sensible in those situations than if I was to bring my trigger foods into my house in private. Em xx

I had bulimia for 10 years, with occasional relapses now, I'm now more of a binge eater. I was reading an interesting article earlier, one study had very impressive success treating bulimia with a blood sugar stabilising diet alone. The people in the study stopped binging and purging as long as they followed the diet.
Even though I rarely purge now my relationship with food is far from healthy, but personally I've never felt my problem was all psychological. This study showed how some people with bulimia had majorly fluctuating blood sugars explaining their urge to binge and purge.
I'm going to give it a go, basically low GI and less cravings/urges -,hopefully!!

It makes sense to me that out-of-control eating is at least partly physical. I read a book a while back about leptin, which is supposed to signal to your brain that you have adequate stores of energy in the form of fat, and tone down your appetite. In obese people, the brain becomes insensitive to leptin, and people still feel hungry although they have plenty of fat on board. One element if the process for getting it back in control was to avoid snacking between meals.... it certainly seems to make a difference to me. The one bit I haven't quite cracked is not eating after dinner.... I do tend to get hungry in the evenings. But I try to make it one snack and then stop, rather than keep on nibbling.

Barbara

I personally believe its a mixture of psychological reasons and physical reasons as to why people develop eating disorders, also the behaviour associated with eating disorders makes it worse, so as someone with a binge eating disorder I would starve all day and binge in the evening on the whole, the physical starvation itself meant I was more likely to binge as I was basically "starving" and so my tendency to binge was not only brought about by psychological reasons but physical hunger, also thirst as I would never drink anything throughout a whole day and so was so dehydrated which of course added to the need to binge. When I went into eating disorder therapy they said on top of addressing the psychological issues we had to address the physical ones which is why my healthy eating plan means that I now have to eat regularly throughout the day, breakfast, lunch, tea and healthy snacks and drink plenty of fluid so that at least I can remove the physical issues of hunger and thirst and then I use the therapy sessions to deal with the psychological stuff, but basically it often comes down to a mixture of the two.

Also just as you said for bulimia, that goes for almost every eating disorder re the blood sugar thing, I starved all day hence a massive dip and then binged in the evening so would have sent it sky high day in day out for years, it was starting after years of this behaviour to take its toll on my body, I was getting issues with my skin, marks that were down to insulin level problems and since I have been eating regularly and much healthier stuff these marks are no way near as obvious and fading.

I really hope you get the help you need with tackling the eating disorder issues, a low gi diet sounds sensible, I am not doing a set diet just healthy eating with no more than 150g of carbs a day and its working wonders, my main issue though is the psychological relationship I have with food, its far from healthy so doing this moderation thing is not easy.

Em xx

Speaking from personal experience, having suffered since i was 13 [i'm now 26] most of my life has had some messed up relationship with food, i only remember snippets of being relatively "normal". The worst part is, when you're post binge and about to head to the bathroom, you think, never NEVER again, this feels awful [even worse if it won't all come out] yet even though i've been "recovered" for a few years, i still think, well just one more time, it will be fine!

I still b/p once a month, maybe once every few months, so i'm trying to just focus on eating properly, healthy, enough food to fuel my body to kick arse at the gym. I HAVE to stop doing it, i have to force myself because i don't want to do it anymore. Kinda why ive signed up here, to get support etc :)

My mind has changed though, a few years back my ideal body shape was super model skinny. But now it's fitness model, fit, strong and epic :)

Back