Eating exercise calories ..... Im confused!!!

Ooh I wanted to try pearl barley! Is it nice? Also I keep having ppl recommend quinoa but not sure what I'd do with it or where I'd get it?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins
I absolutely love pearl barley. I got onto it when my flatmate siad she had a bag left over that she wasn't going to use. Any chance for some free food :p but it turns out it's realy nice. If you cook it a little bit under it's time it has a nice bite to it. I just use it instead of pasta with anything really but I have heard it's normally used in soups and stews

themango - I know it's not habit for you to eat those things, but maybe have a hunt for some recipes featuring pasta and see if any of those appeal to you? Wholegrain pasta is an excellent source of good carbs and fibre, and it's good for upping your calories :) As for bread, maybe try different types of bread? I rarely eat "normal" bread, but I do eat quite a lot of wholegrain or seeded pitta, and seeded wraps are delicious with some 1-cal fried mixed peppers and red onions and a bit of houmous (and maybe some quorn if you're veggie, I usually have chicken, ham or beef strips as well).
Thanks for all these ideas :)
Ah yes wraps love them at the moment I'm on the hunt for corn ones as apparently they're really yummy.

It's a catch-22 (is that the right phrase?) I worry about going over so much i end up going under then I have to think about how to keep it up then I worry about going over too much!

I do the same ^^ I hoard my calories all day coz I don't trust myself not to have an evening blow out but then when I get to 9pm there's calories left and it's obviously a bad idea to force a mars bar down at 10pm lol

I do the same ^^ I hoard my calories all day coz I don't trust myself not to have an evening blow out but then when I get to 9pm there's calories left and it's obviously a bad idea to force a mars bar down at 10pm lol

A tip is that if you go to the gym, go at night. That way you're away fro temptation and when you get out the gym the last thing you're going to want to do it fling a chocolate bar down yourself.

I've heard a few people say they store calories just in case and then have trouble eating them. I find that even I (I actually think I have a worm, I can eat so much!) have difficulties if I do that - the best thing to do is to plan all your meals in advance. Note when you're hungriest (for me, it's mornings) and make sure you plop your extra calories there, and then the rest of the day should be a doddle :)

But I'm hungriest in the evenings (actually I'm probably just munchiest. I have a major binge problem) and I'm sure that eating late at night is probably a bad idea!! Altho I did pre plan today and have eaten all my lower limit (I have two haha 1200 as the goal but as long as it's under 1400 I'm not gonna stress it's my 'bingeblanket' )

I'm not hungry exactly but I don't feel satisfied? Although I think that could well be a mental block with me almost? Calories are all gone. Technically 'can't' have anything so my brain gets the munchies?

It could possibly be a mental thing? As for eating at night- the only thing about eating at night is that if you eat too soon before bed it can disturb sleep because you'll
still be digesting. It's actually a myth that eating after 8 or whatever makes you fat- it was developed, apparently, to discourage late night bingers! A calorie is a calorie- whether you have it at 11am or 11pm. I *think* the only people who respond differently to the food before bed rule are diabetics due to insulin production during the night - but I'm not sure on the ins and out of it.

Sorry to bring this up again, but now I have joined MFP I just want to know if it adds on exercise calories or if you have to work this out yourself?

You tell it what exercise you did and for how long and it adds them on to your cal allowance.

I never understood why I should eat the calories I burn until I read this! So basicly just eat them back till atleast 1,200 so my body doesn't starve itself? Sounds like a plan to me! It will be hard explaining it to my boyfriend why i'm "cheating" on my diet though lol. Going by this I only ate 800 calories yesterday... oops! I'm sure one say won't harm me... (I only started going back to the gym after a 2 week break).

I only really record the calories I burn from the trendmill etc though. Not from weight trainning classes or or cardio classes as i'd have no idea what i'd burn from them... but even when I do those classes I normally burn another 300 calories before of after it on the crosstrainer etc anyway :S ... I can be abit of a gymoholic ¬.¬;

Kaiku said:
I never understood why I should eat the calories I burn until I read this! So basicly just eat them back till atleast 1,200 so my body doesn't starve itself? Sounds like a plan to me! It will be hard explaining it to my boyfriend why i'm "cheating" on my diet though lol. Going by this I only ate 800 calories yesterday... oops! I'm sure one say won't harm me... (I only started going back to the gym after a 2 week break).

I only really record the calories I burn from the trendmill etc though. Not from weight trainning classes or or cardio classes as i'd have no idea what i'd burn from them... but even when I do those classes I normally burn another 300 calories before of after it on the crosstrainer etc anyway :S ... I can be abit of a gymoholic ¬.¬;

If you really want to know exactly then invest in a heart rate monitor but otherwise try looking up the class on MFP? or google :)

Will try to google it next time. I won't be at a class till next week though so don't have to worry about it for a wee bit lol xD

So we should defo eat our calories burnt from exercise up to atleast 1,200 in total for the day??

I usually eat the cals that I burn as Im already restricting myself to 1200 and so far its working well for me. Some days I don't manage to eat them all back it depends on how well I do at the gym. Its not a bad thing to eat them though otherwise you will run out of energy.

But what can I eat to replenish them?
I don't want to snack on junk got the sake of it! My menus come in at 1,200-300 a day which is perfect if I don't exercise but when I do I burn around 400cals so what can I eat healthy for that amount?x

summergurl said:
But what can I eat to replenish them?
I don't want to snack on junk got the sake of it! My menus come in at 1,200-300 a day which is perfect if I don't exercise but when I do I burn around 400cals so what can I eat healthy for that amount?x

If your normal menu is 1300 then after your burn your on 900 net so I'd say have a glass of milk and a few brazil nuts or try making a smoothie with low fat yoghurt and frozen berries? Fruit juices use up cals well. A boiled egg makes a good healthy higher cal snack too. 80 cals ish an nibbled in two bites!!

But honestly I always go with a not hungry not eating policy, if you feel good and are still losing then don't fret bout eating the extra cals!! If you feel rubbish or stop losing then add a few extra bits into your day. Everyone different :)

Yup I've added a boiled egg to my dinner. Only 150cals under today if I feel I need something I will :)

Yea yogurt is something nice to have as a snack and to top yourself up on the calories if your a bit low. Occasionally i allow myself a biscuit as a treat for doing well. However today im 560 cals short as I went to the gym late and had an unexpected hard core workout which now takes me under. Im not hungry at all though so will just leave it.

Back