EE and portion sizes

eejayess

Dear All, I have followed SW for a few years, on and off, and have been quite succesful with it in the past on Red days only. I have always steared clear of EE as I tend not to loose if I eat too many carbs, but since I have been on this forum I am becoming more tempted to try. I just worry that I will eat too many carbs, and on top of that too much food altogether as another problem I have is portion control. Can I please ask you all your experiences of EE (rather than Red days) and how you all keep your portions under control. Eating healthy is not a problem to me, I can eat veg and salad with every meal, I just eat too much. I'm due to join a class again this Thursday so any advice will give me something to think about before I join. Thank you.

Hey! The golden rule of EE is a third of every meal (including breakfast) should be superfree foods and personally I always try to eat my superfree first. The idea is it fills you up so you don't have too many free foods like pasta, potatoes, meat etc. If you do it properly without cheating it totally works and helps. I make massive portions but because 1/3 of it is superfree I never finish a meal and trust me I have a HUGE appetite.
I Love EE as I rarely if ever feel hungry and the times that I do feel peckish is my own fault for not planning properly. I've lost every week apart from 2 and those 2 weeks were terrible so I know exactly where I went wrong!

Good luck!

X

I prefer ee to red (I rarely do green). I think ee is so easy to do and as already posted make sure you get get your super free in such as fruit before you main breakfast, bulk cottage pie ect out with loads of veg and you will find that your portion size will gradually get smaller. Also with free meals try having a little less than normal and have salad/veg and if your still hungry have a little more afterwards. So instead if having a huge portion have a little less and you may find that your little less with more veg or salad is enough to fill you up. I find this works better for me as I don't like food wastage. I put what's left in a freezer box either to have a big more of if I'm still hungry or to be frozen for a lunch ect. Also plan your meals, I have just done this weeks meals. You may find that deciding what you want to make for lunch/dinner each day means you will be hungry when you are deciding what to have therefore your portion will be larger. Plan ahead and take the agro out of meal planning on the day. Hope this helps xx

Thanks for the replies. Eating 1/3 superfree is definately not a problem. My plates usually consist of at least 1/2 - 2/3 superfree veg and then some protein like chicken or savoury mince. I worry though that if I then add some rice or a potato all I am doing is adding to the meal as I can never seem to put less veg on my plate as I like a bit of everything. My veg count tends to always be carrots, roasted squash, brocolli, cabbage and courgettes and sometimes cauli too. To me adding carbs wouldn't help me loose, but I do love the idea of having some rice with my chilli or pasta with my bolognaise I'm just worried I will over eat.

I use all 3 plans, and for the most, especially when following EE, I'll have a bowl of homemade superfree soup about 30mins before dinner - this tends to fill me up, so I'll eat less, even if my plate has 1/3rd superfree anyway - I'll eat my meat/fish & veg, and sometimes leave some of the carbs

I know this isn't the EE way but I measure my carbs and go for 120 kcal portions equivalent to a hex. Then I have one of these with lunch and one with dinner and my real hexb for breakfast or possibly afternoon tea. Still do the 1/3 superfree but it puts a limit on the carbs which I can easily overdo. Quite often go for 60kcal of potatoes as they seem to go further than rice or pasta or couscous (and if you do that twice in a day then it is a red day anyway I suppose!).

I have a HUGE appetite and was very worried too as I have been eating huge portions but I'm losing every week. I would relax and eat as much as you want because when you are eating the big meals you are not eating rubbish. I'm having a normal breakfast - weetabix and fruit, a huge lunch (portion of previous night's dinner) and a huge dinner plus loads of fruit. I was even worried about all the fruit as people say it's full of sugar and makes you gain weight but this is working for me just now and nobody can believe I can eat as much as I am and still lose weight. So I say go for it, but keep your syns low and make sure of your 1/3 superfree and I'm positive you'll lose well even with the carbs.

I allow each person 50g of either rice, couscous, spaghetti or other measurable items.
1 tin of baked beans =2 people, same with same size tins of peas, kidney beans etc.
1 egg per person.
2 small potato=1 person or 1 large.
plus a salad!

Hi Emma, I also have a massive appatite and do mostly green or EE days. You don't have to do EE all the time, plan your meals in advance and decide on the day best to fit your menu. So for instance if I'm having say rice, pork and veg for tea then I might leave out the meat and have a green day then I can have 2 portions of cheese on m jacket pot for lunch. If I'm having something like spaghetti bolognese then I'll do EE rather than having mince or pasta as a HEXB or syns then fit the rest of my day round this. Sice doing EE I do try to still have the 3rd superfree where I can.

Craig your weight loss is amazing! Do you control your portions then? And what about as you;re getting thinner, do you need to eat less?

Craig your weight loss is amazing! Do you control your portions then? And what about as you;re getting thinner, do you need to eat less?

Yeah i do measure most of my free food but i dont measure super free. Also the only fruit i eat is blueberries with my porridge in the morning, it seems to make my teeth hurt although i will eat fruit if im going away for the weekend as its easy to grab and go.

I make large quantities of food i find that easier. I make a massive chilli con carne that makes 5 big portions for the week and chop a load of chicken breats up and cook them with different spices.

I still eat loads but i do alot of training, 20+ hours a week so obviously that helps loads with the weight loss.

Hi everyone, thank you very much for the replies they have all been very helpful and encouraging. I have found my rosemary connelly measuring pots out of the cupboard and I shall be using them for carbs so that I don't get tempted to over fill my plate. Your recommendations Bilsat will definately come in handy, thank you all.

Back