EE Syn Free Moroccan Inspired Lamb

NikNak77

Hi All, I've been really inspired by all your lovely recipes over my first 3 weeks that I thought I'd share one of my favourite tasty recipes.

You can make this quite indulgent by tweaking some of the ingredients but I like it just as described below, hope my syn calculations are right, if not please let me know!!!

Serves 4
1.5lbs Lamb (needs to be a casserole cut, I use leg or shoulder)
6 Tomatoes
2 Red Peppers (Can vary the colour if you prefer)
2 medium Red Onion
1 Courgette
2 garlic cloves
Moroccan Spice Mix - Shwartz do a really good blend in a tin but just needs to contain Ground Cumin, Paprika, Ground Coriander, Ground Cinnamon, small amount of Crushed Chilli and some Harissa if you have it
FF Total Greek Yoghurt - I use the small pot, not sure of size
0.5 pint Tomato Passata
Beef or Lamb stock - I use the Knorr Stock Pot Jelly ones

Pour the FF Yoghurt into a bowl and add 4 heaped teaspoons of the spice mix and the crushed garlic cloves. Stir well

Trim the lamb of any visible fat and cut into bite size pieces and add to the yoghurt. Mix until the lamb is coated and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour but no more than 4 hours.

When ready to cook, chop the tomatoes, courgette and peppers into small pieces and finely dice the onion (you can leave these in bigger chunks if you prefer).

In a casserole dish fry the onions in a few sprays of FryLite and a small sprinkle of salt to draw the water out. Once the onions are translucent add the peppers and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes

Now add the tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes. Add the stock cube/jelly and stir until fully absorbed. You could also add Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree (count the syns) at this point.

Now add the tomato passata and stir well, then add 1.5 tspns of the spice mix, stir well then the courgette. Cover and leave to simmer.

At this point you could cook this for 20 mins and use as a yummy sauce or stop cooking and leave to one side until you're ready to add the lamb.

Heat a frying pan and once hot dry fry small portions of the lamb until each side is browned - add the lamb straight to the sauce mixture and stir. Taste the sauce for seasoning, it does taste quite sweet at this point but this mellows as it cooks, also the heat from the chili wont come out fully until the lamb has mingled with the sauce properly.

I cover this and put in a low oven for at least 2 hours but usually leave it for 4+, stirring every now and then. This fills the house with lovely smells so depends how long you can last before you take it out of the oven!

I serve this with baby new potatoes, cous cous or rice and some green veg if needed. When I'm being indulgent I also have wholemeal roll as HEXB to mop up the juices.

Will post some pics next time I make it

Hope you enjoy if you give it a whirl

Great recipe, got this down on my shopping list for this week so will let you know how it goes!

Thanks for sharing x

Back