Eggy Question....probably a daft one!

dukannotsofatty

Gold Member
I am making sure i only have two eggs per day as per my book. There are a lot or recipes that call for egg whites to bump up the egg amount.

Are egg whites unlimited?. I assume they are ok and follow the same rules as the meat and fish.

I am making some meringues, used three egg whites, the only thing in them is a tolerated item of cornflower.

Egg whites are ok and unlimited; egg yolks, well some say max 2 per day, but since they contain fat and cholestral it's as well to be cautious.

As far as I am aware egg whites are definitely unlimited if you want to stick to the 2-per day rule. Any fats, cholesterol etc and most calories from eggs are indeed in the yolks.

I've had no issues having 3 boiled eggs in the morning and using two in my muffins...

Egg whites are very good for you. They contain Lecithin which as been proven to move bad cholesterol out of the body...

thanks for the replies. I will stick to the two a day which I read in the book, and use whites for meringues etc. thank youx x

I think it also depends on you and whether or not you have problems with cholesterol. I can't be bothered with separating eggs although I see I'll have to make the effort if i want my chocolate mousse!

I tend to aim at 2 a day, but as an average over the week. Some days I have a 3 egg omelette and a muffin, but on some days no eggs at all.

Have any of you tried using the Two Chicks liquid egg white? Two Chicks Liquid Egg White | Home Pasteurised egg white you keep in the fridge - very handy indeed and saves you feeling like you're wasting egg yolks. Really great feature on their website where you can put your postcode in and they tell you the nearest stockist. It's a 500g pack and you can calculate how much you need based on one egg white weighing about 35grams. Promise I don't work for them!

Yes used it a lot for about a year, but my local Sainsbury seems to have stopped stocking it again...

I'm thinking it's time to start a dukan products and stockists thread... Such good ideas here!

I made some meringues yesterday with sweetner and was very disappointed with them. First time i have ever managed to get the whites that fluffed and stiffened and then they turn out weird. Worth a try though.

Not seen egg whites in a bottle before, not sure any of our locals do it, will have to do the post code thing.

Back