electric yoghurt makers ??

ellie1969

Gold Member
has anyone tried an electric yoghurt maker ... seen one on the rosemary conley website (the video showed lovely thick yoghurt) and theres one on the lakeland website

Hi ellie,

yes I have the Lakeland 'bulk' yoghurt maker, had it for at least 10+ years, and it would appear the design has not changed at all. It works well, I use it ever couple of days or so, but the consistency of the yoghurt depends entirely on the milk you use. Skimmed milk does make quite watery yoghurt so I always strain mine so 1l milk makes about 600gr/ml yoghurt that's thicker like the 'Total' one. Have a look at the Lakeland site - last time I checked there were comments and tips.

Also it need to be at comfortable room temp (I put a tea towel over it in the winter) and does not like to be 'disturbed' (for example by the slight vibrations of a washing machine rumbling away underneath it)

If you have a slow cooker you may be able to use that instead - there are some instructions on this forum somewhere on how to do it.

I don't own a slow cooker and have had my eye on the lakeland yoghurt maker for a while. The reviews on the website are very good. I can't imagine what I'd use a slow cooker for (can anyone advise?) so I'm thinking of just getting the yoghurt maker.

Thanks for the tips anjuschka.

have tried the slow cooker twice but its just not right.... going to try it again today but maybe add a bit more skimmed milk powder to see if that helps thicken it as mines is never thick enough :( im thinking that my slow cooker possibly cools down too quickly

have tried the slow cooker twice but its just not right.... going to try it again today but maybe add a bit more skimmed milk powder to see if that helps thicken it as mines is never thick enough :( im thinking that my slow cooker possibly cools down too quickly

Hi!

Did you use Yeo Valley and do the exact times for each stage and wrap up in a thick towel/towels?

yep i did

yep i did

The times I haven't had any success were when I either used starter yog staight out of the fridge which wasn't at room temp, or when I used a starter that had been frozen (and that included Yeo Valley).

Sorry, don't know what the problem would be.

im gonna give it one last try today ... will take the starter out the fridge to let it warm up a bit while the milks on the first stage

im gonna give it one last try today ... will take the starter out the fridge to let it warm up a bit while the milks on the first stage

It's annoying isn't it.

I was like that when a couple of mine didn't work.

I have been using towels for mine but the last one, the one where I made up my milk using powdered milk, I wrapped it in a fleece throw doubled over.

Fingers crossed this time.

;)

well my lovely OH came home from work today with the lakeland yoghurt maker for me... he must have seen me eyeing it up on the website .... I made a batch of yoghurt yesterday and strained it so it was thick... im gonna try it tonight to make more so i can have some thinner yoghurt as well :D

ellie I'm getting the lakeland one for my birthday... glad to hear you've had success! :)

can you elaborate on the straining process? does it take long? do you place the material over a bowl?

ellie I'm getting the lakeland one for my birthday... glad to hear you've had success! :)

can you elaborate on the straining process? does it take long? do you place the material over a bowl?

When I strain my s/c yog I put a colander over a bowl and put a cotton handkerchief on top of the seive and tuck it in around the sides. I then pour the yog into it and leave in the fridge for a few hours.

You will be amazed at the amount of whey tha drains off it, almost half if you leave it for long enough.

well i had the yoghurt maker on overnight.... was supposed to be 8 hours but its ended up on for 10.... ive to let it cool now before popping in the fridge, had a peek inside and it looks like i have really nice thick yoghurt :D

I want a yoghurt maker!!! *stamps feet* Will be putting it on my birthday list :)

Ive just had a platefull of the yoghurt out the lakeland yoghurt maker and it has came out nicer than my slow cooker yoghurt and was so much easier to do as you put everything in at the start then switch it on and leave it... no wrapping up in blankets etc

Is this to make me even more jealous!

no:8855:

MrR complained last night when he was washing up, he said most of it was because of MY yoghurt, wasnt moaning when he was eating spicy chicken curry with MY yoghurt was he.
Think I will send him a link to Lakeland

My hubby and son wont eat my yoghurt.... they just turn their noses up at it and wont even try it.... all the more for me ;)

Back