Embarassing Fat Bodies

One of my LL locum consultants explained her skin as like a balloon which has been blown up and had the air let out. She said it was not as taut as before, but manageable and she was not concerned about it in the least. I think it's recommended that one waits for about a year post weight loss until everything settles down and the fat cells get re-hydrated (or something) before you have a fair idea. I think that's why the NHS waiting list is 2 years (for the select few who are lucky enough to be offered it) - it also shows you can maintain too.

Does this make sense?

My hubby lost 8 st on Atkins 11 years ago, and has no loose skin, and looks well in his shorts ;)

Bottom line is, everyone's different and we have to be patient and see what happens.

One of my LL locum consultants explained her skin as like a balloon which has been blown up and had the air let out. She said it was not as taut as before, but manageable and she was not concerned about it in the least. I think it's recommended that one waits for about a year post weight loss until everything settles down and the fat cells get re-hydrated (or something) before you have a fair idea. I think that's why the NHS waiting list is 2 years (for the select few who are lucky enough to be offered it) - it also shows you can maintain too.

Does this make sense?

My hubby lost 8 st on Atkins 11 years ago, and has no loose skin, and looks well in his shorts ;)

Bottom line is, everyone's different and we have to be patient and see what happens.

you are partly right about the waiting reasons...But my PCT explained to me that they dont fund surgery too soon as they also want to see that the patient is not going to put weight back on as then the surgery is to some comepletly pointless...

To be fair my skin is not horendous as when i got to my heaviest i wasnt that weight for very long ..It depends on lots of factors as to how your skin looks after weight loss.

But the main reason it wont shrink back is if you have been very overweight for a long time. Age is the other factor as they dont like to fund surgery for the tummy area if there is the slightlest chance that you may go on to have children etc.. It does differ from post code to post code and exceptional circumstances etc..(one being if it affects your mobility)..i know i will get mine eventually on the NHS it just depends if i want to wait 2 years once i get to my normal BMI..I self funded my band so i dont feel i am being unreasonable to want my tummy funded..

The one defo thing is that if you get within the guidelines then you WILL get funding sooner or later xxx

you are partly right about the waiting reasons...But my PCT explained to me that they dont fund surgery too soon as they also want to see that the patient is not going to put weight back on as then the surgery is to some comepletly pointless...

As stated in my previous thread - the PCT wants to make sure the weight loss is maintained!

The debate about the NHS funding is an emotive one, and not one that will be sorted here :sigh: . I work for the NHS and believe in it passionately, but somehow people seem to think there is an endless pot of money, but the cruel reality is there's not! We are all going to want treatment for whichever condition is closest to our heart - be it cancer treatment, transplants, fertility treatment, bariatric surgery, etc. Unfortunately, in many cases, the decision is based on individual merits...

Keep focussed on the weight loss ladies, as that is the ultimate benefit to your health, and deal with anything else if it occurs.

Onwards and downwards.
Cx

i really hope im not left with huge amounts of excess skin :-/ hopefully being young and losing it through going to the gym and healthy eating will play a good part aswell as steadily losing it for my skin to elasticate back to size

I am 31 and had both my kids by c section. Lately av noticed that skin on my tummy, thighs and arms (bingo wings) has become so loose. My boobs are gone. It's got me so low, as I don't know whether doing the diet 100% will make it worse as its a fast weight loss. I have started exercising and am hoping it will help.

I watched embarassing bodies last night and felt sorry for that girl when she was refused an op. With these NHS cuts going on, am not going to bank my hopes on a 'free' tummy tuck. My SIL is a renal research nurse, she was given a months' notice on Friday. They were due to publish their research after August but now they won't as they won't be around. So really our flabby skin won't be a priority, sad but true. I will have to WW the rest of weight and exercise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I think when you're younger your skin is more elastic and more likely to go back to shape but there aren't any guarantees........ that young girl clearly didn't have very elastic skin to start with... such a shame to have got so far aswell. I guess we just have to do what we can the best way we can manage and deal with what's left eh! I've certainly noticed my skin isn't as taut as it once was but I don't believe that's due to weight loss, I think it's more to do with the harsh reality of ageing......... ah well, onwards and downwards :)

i fully believe that the NHS shouldnt fund cosmetic procedures unless its reconstructive following trauma.

i had breast implants 4 years ago and i funded this myself at a young age, i got a better service as i chose the best private hospital in the uk (the one they use on embarassing bodies!) and have had zero issues.

i am looking forward to having to go back in 6 years to have them redone, next time i may go for something else while im there, you get a discount for one lot of "table time"!

did anyone see the show this week with the section on the family and their RMR ? They had them wear some kind of band around their middles which tracked all the calories they used in a day. I am dying to know what the name of that device is and where to get one.

quizzicalgrrl said:
did anyone see the show this week with the section on the family and their RMR ? They had them wear some kind of band around their middles which tracked all the calories they used in a day. I am dying to know what the name of that device is and where to get one.

It's called an accelerometer belt. I'm not sure though if you can freely purchase one. I think what Dr Jessen and the female doctors do through their health shows is great. I'd love to be a TV doctor like them too!! :D xx

I work for the nhs as well, cuts are being made left right and centre. We're in really really bad times at the moment with the credit crunch. It has to be seen that the NHS is making as much effort as every other government sector, so I'd say we'll see a lot of non-critical surgery being cut significantly, or even stopped completely. I would say the people we've seen on the tv are probably only the tip of the iceberg in terms of how many people applied to get on too.

I'm sure it must be horrible having saggy skin n whatnot - i know i'm headed there myself - but at the end of the day we did it to ourselves.... sad but true.

Back