End of week one on Atkins - 6lbs down!

Pukunati

Greetings,
This is my first go on Atkins. I started 243 pounds - so am now 237 pounds.
Am super focused and am doing this for the long haul.

Preparation - spent 3 weeks reading the book and prepping my kitchen. Also, while I tried to stay off carbs, noted when I ate them the most. Since it was mostly bread at lunch and potato over pies (fish pie, shepherds etc for dinner), I was able to be fully prepared for this week - and I got through it no cheats.

The Keto Flu - spent Monday and Tuesday last week doubled over in stomach pain and cramps. Then woke up on Wednesday with the head clear of fog that everyone talks about. Wow, what a feeling

Sleep - Am a terrible sleeper. Fall asleep in front of the telly, then get up about midnight and go to bed. Then get up about three and put the telly on - well you get the picture. Have been focusing on going to bed with a book by 10pm. I fall asleep quickly and sleep all the way through. After years of shocking sleep, this feels so good. Who knew it would be such a good side effect.

The Food - so husband is like 'thought you were on a diet' and I am 'but i am'. He is looking shocked as I am frying my bacon in butter - (I had just run out of oil to lightly grease the pan) I also threw in Mushrooms and an egg. This was my Sunday brunch yesterday). And oh yeah baby - fried bacon in butter and I lost 1lb overnight - take that most diets.

Exercise - 15 mins on my indoor rower daily (it took a ton of calories and about an hour to dust the thing off though!) This will go up as I get fitter. I also have to walk about a mile a day, as there are no cars on the island and shanks pony is the only way to get to the ferry pier - besides bicycle. I have put the bike away and started walking again - more calories lost.

Mostly - am losing weight and finding this diet easy to stick to. Surprisingly easy. I do know that I have to plan carefully when I introduce alcohol again.

Now - let the weight fall off!

Day 9 today - 236 pounds today - and I had a blip yesterday. I know I should not weigh myself every day, and once the induction is over I probably won't, but weighing myself and seeing the weight move so fast is just, well, magical. Still very much in the honeymoon stage and loving the food.

Elizabeth

Hi welcome and well done:)

4 years on I still have bacon and eggs every day for breakfast - yum! When I'm on a residential course people always look at me askance when they see the size of my cooked breakfast plate:)

Keep it up &'good luck

Cheers. I look at your numbers and I have about the same goal weight, about the same amount and around the time frame I was hoping for. It's nice to see it right there.

Well done! I'm getting ready to start tomorrow and this is really motivating! Thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

TL;DR Liz started Atkins for 2 weeks, stopped for 4, convinced Husband to start and is now 1 week in and fully loving it.

Right - so to be clear - when I started this I was on a total life journey - and then major family illness involving major time in a hospital took me out (me sitting, holding hands, snacking - I don't really have to spell this out). I did two hard? - I really love the food, but I did 2 very concentrated weeks and lost 5kg (11lbs). Then this - my new eating habits were not ingrained enough and I slipped back into old habits for the last few weeks.

Now, husband - the strong, quiet type who why not exactly saying don't do it - does stand by the old fashioned - eat less, exercise more philosophy - had been quietly evaluating me. This weekend, when I said 'am starting again on Monday, care to join?' He fully surprised me by saying YES. He does need to shed a few - not terribly fat, but enough to make him uncomfortable and he is a sporty type. He has never tried a diet before so this should be interesting. Actually, to make it more interesting - I made a bet on the first one to lose 15lbs (approximately half way for both of us)

We are on Day 5. No keto flu symptoms (and I am not one hundred per cent sure he is not cheating on the diet) - I can see a skeptical look on his face. So I say - lets weigh you. Day 4 evening and he had lost a whopping 6lbs. ARRRGGGHHH.
I do now have a convinced husband. He is quietly astounded how changing nothing, nothing - no excercise, no normal food he eats, nothing except his carbs has dropped his weight so fast. Yes, we all do understand that this is unsustainable, and the weight loss will slow down, but, the most skeptical, scientific, needs proof for everything person I know - is showing no signs of stopping.

On a final note - falling in love with Cauliflower. Made a cream, bacon and mushroom pasta sauce and served it over roasted cauliflower florets and well - yum, did not miss the pasta. Made cottage pie with Cauliflower Mash (steamed cauli, sour cream and grated cheese) - well yum again, also if you need to know, it re-heated in the microwave the next day and did not split - tasted of sour cream and cheese and well - yum. Cauli - our new Potato.

Liz

Back