Enjoying nights out without fear of weight gain?

AGray

So about a week or two ago i went and had a team night out with some guys from work. Enjoyable, and it was my first night out while i was over on the Slimming World plan. I even said in the weekly meeting prior "Going to expect a gain at least" but i didn't want it to at least put a dampener on my nightout - if i did gain, it would have been my first gain since being on the plan.

Nightout over, i'm not a heavy drinker by any sense and i very rarely ever drink alcohol so i was never up with any brands of what alcohol i liked. "Thankfully" (Term used loosely) someone said "Ahh i bet you'll love this Kopparberg" so they went and got me a few bottles. Nice enough, through the night i must have had about 10 bottles plus a few pints but i wasn't really drunk at all, and i certainly didn't feel any heavier...

Alas, weekly weigh-in, ended up gaining 5 1/2 pound. I was mortified. Everyone else seems to talk about how they enjoy their nights out and there is little to no weight gain with them and i was going through it in my mind what could have caused such a massive gain. I was especially gutted because i was only 2lb off my first stone, but that's all back on track now.

But as i say i was thinking over what could have caused it, one thing particularly stuck out was, i was relatively okay with the plan where i didn't really exceed my syns count daily, but i didn't "save them up" to blitz over the nightout. Instead my mind went to the fact i was off work, and spending time at the gym on my days off/holiday period, i figured this could have had a part to play in increasing my weight gain temporarily, specially if my muscle was building.

The worrying thing is, my team nights out where generally always rare, like maybe once every 4-6months if that, but i'm now in a new department at work who seem to enjoy going every 1-2 months, and i certainly don't not want to go because i want to be sociable outside of work, and my aim anyway is never to go out and get blind drunk because i just don't do that.

But do people actually get weight gains on their nights out? I was kind of lucky this week being in our weekly meeting when they brought up some low-syn alcohol, things like Corrs-Light which are aparently only about 4 syns per bottle. No idea what Kopparberg was, but i bet (Hope) it wasn't 4 syns.

Kopparberg is around 12 syns a bottle...pints of lager can be around the same depending on brand and % so if you drank 10 and pints to boot, id say thats where your gain came from! I enjoy going out alot and stick to small dry white wine spritzer, and only have 3. Vodka is 4 syns and martini extra dry is 2.5 syns for a double!

cider and lager are really high in syns - i had a bottle of Magners left in my fridge after having some people over recently and i thought i'd have it but looked up the syns first and it was 10.5 syns for the bottle!! A pint of lager is probably around 10 syns as well, so if you had 10 ciders and 3 pints of lager you are looking at around 130 syns at least!!!

I would try and find something lower in syns if you will be drinking alcohol - spirits and diet mixer are not too bad, wine if you like it, or maybe just stick to diet coke?! The first 2 months after joining SW i went teetotal just cos that was the easiest way to keep syns down on a night out.

My biggest gain so far has been 2.5lb in a week and that was after a boozy night out. Several people in my group have had large gains of 4, 5, or 6 lb after big nights out too. I guess it is about makin some sacrifices for the sake of your weight loss.

Yeah unfortunately cider is very high in syns. When I was on holiday three weeks ago I drank cider most days because I love a nice cold cider in the sun, and I was rewarded with half a stone gain! (Got it all off now thankfully)

I'm usually a red wine girl, and although it's not the lowest in syns of alcohol, I honestly find it never causes me any gains.

I believe the lowest in syns are the clear spirits, however I am unable to drink them due to the fact that a) I hate the taste, and b) they give me the hangover from hell :)

Back