Erm's Photo Diary

have a long shopping list, ready to try a few of Erms recipes for the weekend. Roasted Butternut squash and harissa with Bulghar Wheat. Mango Salad. Butternut sq falafels, carrot and corriander with hulloumi fritters and celeriac chips.

Friday 30th - Extra Easy

Breakfast: Coffee & Toast, 1 HEXA, 1 HEXB & 2 syns
Lunch: Jalapeno hummus with carrot sticks and big salad - Free
Tea: BritMum's Slow Cooker Sweet Onion Braised Beef with Cheesy Baked Sweet Potato and Carrot Mash 1 syn for flour & tom puree, 6.5 syns for cheese
Snacks: Satsumas, apples and OMG an accidentally fantastic dessert!! :eek: Frozen mixed berries in coconut Muller - I normally stick about 200g on defrost for a coupla minutes as I like them semi-defrosted, but I accidentally put them on full power and as I only had 100g it made it taste like a hot jam roly-poly in melting ice cream!! :drool: DIVINE! Seriously good stuff for FREE! Some of it was really hot and jammy cos I had it on full power but some hadn't had a chance to defrost so was still semi-frozen which made the creamy coconut/chocolate Muller taste like it was really melting ice cream oh it was soooooo goooood, no piccies as I was taken aback, but Ill deffo make it again, probably today! :)

Sooo here's BritMum's Braised Beef in Cheesy Sweet Potato Mash:

6201153632_3f598379dd_o.jpg

The meat was lovely, melt in the mouth tender! The mash was also nice but a bit too sweet for me. I liked the cheesiness but Im not sure sweet AND cheesy, as well as gravy from the meat all go together in my head :D Lovely meat though, but BritMum - serves four?!?! :eek: I could have eaten the lot to myself! :eek: You are obviously far more restrained than me! :eek: :wave_cry:

But I am a greedy bugger :p I only ate the one portion as Id organised my syns around it but if I made it again Id do just the meat but between the two of us and serve it with celeriac and more veggies, dropping the sweet potato so I could have more of the yummy meat! :) Was very yummy though, recommended!

Today Im gonna make julesm's hummus fritters with roast beetroot & goat's cheese dip, cant wait! :)

Last edited:
Yum...i always drool looking at your food :) Hope i have some luck finding an acorn squash as i love chilli and baked potato, and it looks great!! How long did it need baking for? xx

I've been lurking on yours and honey's food diaries for the past few weeks. Omg my mouth salivates every time I see the food, gives me good ideas for unusual food combinations..I haven't eaten half of the food you cook lol:p

I'm doing weight watchers but I'm sure you won't mind if I follow:)
Oh I noticed the new profile pic, its a nice pic:)

Erm love your new photo :D

Those acorn squash sound amazing. I can't wait to try them now... Tesco don't sell them though :cry: I shall just have to pop to Waitrose this week :D Did you literally just scoop seeds out and bake? how long for roughly... are they the smaller squash?

That beef looks amazing. I keep looking at Britmum's lovely website but then an hour later realise I've done no work whoops :D

OK am going to stock up on acorn squashes tomorrow! Disappointed you didn't like spag squash but maybe you hot a bad one! :-D

Ooooh Erm, loving the new profile pic! Very pretty!

Erm love your new photo :D

Those acorn squash sound amazing. I can't wait to try them now... Tesco don't sell them though :cry: I shall just have to pop to Waitrose this week :D Did you literally just scoop seeds out and bake? how long for roughly... are they the smaller squash?

That beef looks amazing. I keep looking at Britmum's lovely website but then an hour later realise I've done no work whoops :D

Yep I just followed BritMum's recipe here. Chopped it in half, scooped the seeds out, sprinkled the inside with a bit of salt and sprayed with fry light, then put them seed side down on a lined tray also sprayed with fry light.

I think I gave it about 40min, it probably didn't need quite that long but I was taking care after the spag one. They're quite small, mine were probably about 6 or 7 inches wide. Bit bigger than a grapefruit.

heh heh yeah I love BritMum's site, I think that was what kept me round here in the beginning, her burger recipe started it I think :D

OK am going to stock up on acorn squashes tomorrow! Disappointed you didn't like spag squash but maybe you hot a bad one! :-D

It's more likely my tastebuds, other people often don't, er. 'appreciate' the same things I do and vice versa :D I had a knock on the head a few years ago and after that my sense of taste went a bit nuts, suddenly couldn't stand eggs any more and stuff, was very weird. Bit better now but still bizarre. The b/f doesnt like my Morroccan curry which I cant comprehend as it's just gorgeous. So there may be people out there who eat some of this stuff, spit it out and think Im psycho :D

Thanks everyone for the pic comments, I kept looking at the other one and thinking I looked weird, its cos I had wet hair in the photo but I looked like I had a flat head :confused: so I changed it to a more realistic one, unfortunately that means I *really do* have fat cheeks and a double chin :( :D

Thanks everyone for the pic comments, I kept looking at the other one and thinking I looked weird, its cos I had wet hair in the photo but I looked like I had a flat head :confused: so I changed it to a more realistic one, unfortunately that means I *really do* have fat cheeks and a double chin :( :D

Not at all its a nice pic :D I see no fat cheeks or double chin for that matter

Saturday 01st - Green

Breakfast: Coffee 1 HEXA & fruit
Lunch: Jalapeno hummus with carrots and big salad
Tea: Julesm's Houmous Fritters with Goat's cheese dip and Roast Beetroot
- these were great! And I ate ALL the goat's cheese dip! :eek: So a HEXA and a HEXB for goat's cheese and some goat's cheese :D then half a HEXB for a mix of tahini paste, milk and a bit more goat's cheese :D and 5 syns for flour & baking powder
Snacks: Peach, apples, satsumas and wine 36 syns

The fritters were the best, yum yum! Deffo make these again, really easy too surprisingly!

Thought they were going to be complicated and messy at the beginning but they weren't at all. I made all the mix earlier in the day up to the adding egg white bit but then left the unwhisked egg and the batter mix in the fridge til I was ready to cook. Then just whizzed the egg, folded it in and popped it on the pan

6203138241_7b947a6042_o.jpg

Really strange, they kind of shape *themselves* into balls and smooth up!

6203138401_f226ee19dc_o.jpg

I have a habit of burning things a bit

6203138925_20295c0aae_o.jpg

Also at this point the handle decided to fall off my pan, you can see the screws rolling about the hob :confused:

6203139177_dd24de6680_o.jpg

Yum yum!

6203654544_47a28934e3_o.jpg

And voila! Hummus fritters with roast beetroot and goat's cheese dip - recipe by julesm can be found here

6203655094_ebe3d817d1_o.jpg

Stuck to the recipe this time to see if I liked them, but there's all sorts if things you could add to them, definitely wil be experimenting with these! :)

The goat's cheese dip was interesting too, REALLY creamy, I didnt expect to eat it all but after a few vinos I gobbled it all up :eek: :D Was a bit nervous about the amount of pickled chillis, not had them before and thought they might blow my brains out, but they're actually not all that hot. Can definitely see me using these in dips and hummus and stuff. Especially now I have a giant jar of the *******! :D

So yum yum, thanks to jules for a great recipe!

Oh yum! I'm totally making those fritters! Found some squashes at Waitrose today, though I dont think the one I got was acorn. Still excited about it though, and I bought my very first pumpkin!

Oh yum - those fritters look good.

I had a bad experience today. Made my chilli and chucked the acorn squash in the oven. Dished it up and the squash smelled yum. Took a big spoonful and had to spit it out! It was the worst most bitter thing I have ever tasted. Really awful. Looked it up online and it seems I had a poisoned squash that is highly toxic to humans which is what makes it taste so unbearable:jelous: I can still taste it hours later. Very odd. Will try again once I get over it!

Oh yum - those fritters look good.

I had a bad experience today. Made my chilli and chucked the acorn squash in the oven. Dished it up and the squash smelled yum. Took a big spoonful and had to spit it out! It was the worst most bitter thing I have ever tasted. Really awful. Looked it up online and it seems I had a poisoned squash that is highly toxic to humans which is what makes it taste so unbearable:jelous: I can still taste it hours later. Very odd. Will try again once I get over it!

Oh no! :eek: Toxic squash, wow, never heard of that, shall have to go-a-googling! Wow, well thank God you're OK, crikey! :eek: Is it something that would affect the whole lot of squashes in the shop? Have you told them? Crikey I think that would have put me off squashes for life! Are you OK though?

I feel a bit sick but not sure if that is slight poisoning or whether it is physcosomatic! When I read that even a few grams can cause real intestinal problems it was a worry. I have to tell you though that it was so bad that I honestly think I didn't swallow any. I even ran over to the sink and rinsed my mouth out with water! I'm sure I'll be ok. I don't think it's something that can affect the whole crop - it is very rare. Just my luck to get that one! We bought it from a farm shop (honesty shop - no one actually works there).

Back