Erm's Photo Diary

Roast root vegetable & green lentil soup

Ingredients
- 250g Chantenay carrots, halved lengthways (I used small regular ones and cut them into pieces about 1 inch long by 1 cm wide)
- 1 parsnip, cut into small chunks (about 1cm cubed)
- 250g swede, cut into small chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g whole green/Puy lentils (not split)
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock (I use Kallo)
- small bunch of coriander, chopped

Directions
- Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5
- Lay veggies out in a large roasting tin, spray with Fry Light and sprinkle the chilli, cumin and plenty of salt & pepper over. Pour into a bowl, mix well to coat and then return to baking tray. Spray again with Fry Light and roast for about 30 min, until tender
- Meanwhile, put the lentils, stock and garlic in a large pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 min until tender
- When everything's cooked add the roasted veg to the lentil mix and top with coriander

I adapted this recipe from here but added garlic, omitted oil etc and increased some quantities.

Ive had trouble in the past cooking stuff in Fry Light if its covered in spices, as the spices tend to go in clumps and then just burn. So this time I coated the veg in Fry Light so the spices would stick, then mixed well in the bowl so they were evenly coated, then put them back in the tray and put a bit extra Fry Light on and everything cooked quite happily without burning. :) (Of course, you could just use Extra Virgin olive oil as a HEX instead, but I was keeping this Free) It sounds like a faff but it only took 2 min.

Seriously yummy in a hearty, winter way. It says Serves 4 but Id say two and a half to three - but then I do like a big serving. :eek: But who cares when its Free! :)

Roast root vegetable & green lentil soup

Ingredients
- 250g Chantenay carrots, halved lengthways (I used small regular ones and cut them into pieces about 1 inch long by 1 cm wide)
- 1 parsnip, cut into small chunks (about 1cm cubed)
- 250g swede, cut into small chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g whole green/Puy lentils (not split)
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock (I use Kallo)
- small bunch of coriander, chopped

Directions
- Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5
- Lay veggies out in a large roasting tin, spray with Fry Light and sprinkle the chilli, cumin and plenty of salt & pepper over. Pour into a bowl, mix well to coat and then return to baking tray. Spray again with Fry Light and roast for about 30 min, until tender
- Meanwhile, put the lentils, stock and garlic in a large pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 min until tender
- When everything's cooked add the roasted veg to the lentil mix and top with coriander

I adapted this recipe from here but added garlic, omitted oil etc and increased some quantities.

Ive had trouble in the past cooking stuff in Fry Light if its covered in spices, as the spices tend to go in clumps and then just burn. So this time I coated the veg in Fry Light so the spices would stick, then mixed well in the bowl so they were evenly coated, then put them back in the tray and put a bit extra Fry Light on and everything cooked quite happily without burning. :) (Of course, you could just use Extra Virgin olive oil as a HEX instead, but I was keeping this Free) It sounds like a faff but it only took 2 min.

Seriously yummy in a hearty, winter way. It says Serves 4 but Id say two and a half to three - but then I do like a big serving. :eek: But who cares when its Free! :)

Erm,
Thank you so much. Im following an Ireland only plan called Unislim which is actually very similar to SW, just not as complicated!!! lol.
I had planned to make a bean style soup for today so am delighted now to have this to follow.
Thanks so much.
xxx

that stew looks amazing :D

don't forget to eat your plantain :giggle:

:eek: Booga! *shuffles off*

OK two of em are yellow now... Mmmm roasted plantain with harissa chicken for tea? :confused:

clarri said:
Erm,
Thank you so much. Im following an Ireland only plan called Unislim which is actually very similar to SW, just not as complicated!!! lol.
I had planned to make a bean style soup for today so am delighted now to have this to follow.
Thanks so much.
xxx

ooooh what's unislim?? Sorry to hijack Erm, Clarri you can pm me :D

Last edited:
I swear I just posted this but its evaporated :confused: Oh well, here we go again:

Monday 10th - Extra Easy

Breakfast: Coffee & Toast 1 HEXA, 1 HEXB, 2 syns
Lunch: Leftover roasted veg & lentil stew; then I was till hungry so had some jalapeno hummus and carrots
Tea: Harissa chicken with celeriac chips & veg
Snacks: Peaches, apple, pears. Box of blackberries in Coconut Muller.

Mmmmmmm chips...

6231245475_b1e098840c_o.jpg

Chiiiiips... :drool:

6231245245_b22ca21429_o.jpg

Oh yeah and there was a bit o chicken an' all... :rolleyes:

6231765822_f77e17d906_o.jpg

Last edited:
looks delicious, but what happened to the plantain? ;)

Ahhhhh I didnt forget! Not this time! :D I was pootling around wondering what to do with it and I saw this recipe which looks delish! She said hers weren't ripe enough and she'd use them really soft next time. Two of mine are yellow, but only just, the ither two are still green, so I think Ill give them a few more days and make that recipe at the w/e, looks yummy! :)

Tuesday 11th - Green

Breakfast: Coffee & Toast 1 HEXA, 1 HEXB, 2 syns
Lunch: Jalapeno hummus with mixed veg crudites, big bowl of salad 2 syns for dressing
Tea: Mixed veg curried soup 0.5 syns for Total 2%
Snacks: Pear, apple, peach, Quorn slices, baby veg snacks, baby tomatoes, HUUUUUUGE amount of coffee so another HEXA

Curried thing I sort of freestyled with a loada leftover stuff - mooli, turnip, celeriac, cauliflower. But the flavours from the recipe were CR@PPE, seriously rubbish. All chilli no flavour :( So I bunged in some fenugreek, coriander, hing, extra cumin, extra tomatoes and a load of stock and turned it into a "curry soup". I thought it was pretty bollox - the OH looked perky and said "Ooh nice flavour" however :confused:

6235197125_1de3404c5a_o.jpg

WI tomorrow, fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed: Be at college all day so pack up again, maybe Honey's leftover Kerala curry :)

Wee-eee-eelllll...

It's WI day. I was expecting it to be good.

Very good.

But not...

9 1/2 lbs

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:faint2:

It's not quite as mega as it looks (although it is purrr-etty mega) as I bizarrely 'put on' 2.5lb overnight for last week's WI which I was a bit bummed about (quite literally I expect :rolleyes:), so that makes it 7 'real' lb Ive lost over the 2 weeks so 3.5lbs a week. But still... WOW!!!!!

I'd be quite shocked and bamboozled if I hadnt seen it coming but as we all know, Im a serial weigher, so Ive seen it going down every day, starting with the 4lb after Honey's Beef Kerala :D

I did do this once before last time I did SW - I missed class one week, then when I got back Id lost *10lb* over 2 weeks. All was fine and carried on at the normal rate after, so Im hoping this will be too!

Soooooo - it's a pretty big week for me, Ive achieved three goals - not only have I got under the big 2-2 and am now 21st 11 1/2, I also got my 5 1/2 stone award:

S77.jpg

AND have now lost over 20% of my body weight since I started. I made myself a little badge yesterday cos I was expecting it:

6233542519_ac87ae27ea_o.jpg

:woohoo:

Soooo Im just sitting here taking stock for a bit. Expect it'll be slow the next coupla weeks with such a big loss, and its coming up to TOTM. But its still looking good for that 6 stone award by Xmas, so Im gonna have to reset some goals. I've met the target on my Tickers so gonna have to reset those too, but its been nice to be able to look at them the last few days and see it cross the line so Ive not changed it yet :)

I dont really know what to aim for as the most I have ever lost was 6 stone. After that its unchartered territory. I guess the 6 stone award, which is 3lbs away, and getting below 300lb which is at 21 st 9lb. Then the Century award I guess? 7st 2lb which would be at 20st 6 1/2lb. Then obviously below the big 2-0. My long-term aim I suppose is to get below 19st 6lb which was where I was at before i had a bit of a crisis last time. Thats a very long way off though.

Maybe below 20st 7lb for Xmas? Let's say 7 stone by Xmas. 20st 8 1/2lb.

Let's go! :party0011:

I have lost 2 mid-size microwaves and a human head. :cool:

Back