Erm's Photo Diary

Beware: I like it hot and am a cooking freak so have an infinite variety of spices to hand :) This recipe is an adaptation of one of Mamta Gupta's : Mamta's Kitchen

Serves 2 generously:

2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil - 4 SYNS or use as part of your HEX (you can try to do this in Fry Light but I find the syns worth it to cook the spices properly without burning)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp nigella seeds
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida powder (hing)
4 dried red chillies, broken in half
5-6 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 inch root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium onions, peeled
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp crushed chillies (adjust quantity to taste or replace with chilli powder if you like)
3 tsp coriander powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree - 1 SYN
1 stock cube (I use Kallo Just Bouillon chicken stock cubes)
3 tbsp dry fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
1 tbsp Patak's mixed pickle - 2 SYNS (or to taste of your own favourite) (you can substitute the juice of half a lemon if you don't want it too spicy and want to save syns)
1 1/2 tsp rock salt (less if you use regular cooking salt)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped

Total = 7 syns or 3.5 syns per serving - and that's only because of the olive oil and pickle, which you can omit / substitute if you want, leaving just the tomato puree to syn.

- Put onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor and whizz to a paste (You can skip this and finely chop/crush everything if you like)
- Heat the oil and add cumin, fennel, nigella, mustard, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida powder
- As soon as the seeds crackle, add the dried chillies
- Stir for 10 seconds and add onion, ginger and garlic mix. Cook, stirring, for about 5-7 min
- Add turmeric, chilli powder and coriander powder, stir fry for 10 seconds, then add tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cube and fenugreek leaves
- Stir to mix, add chicken and cook on high heat, stirring all the time, until meat is no longer pink
- Cover and cook on low heat until done (20-30 min - longer if you sustitute chicken with lamb or beef)
- When cooked add garam masala, salt, chopped coriander and stir
- Serve with basmati rice or whatever your preference

This sounds really yummy. Just a quick question and sorry if it's just me being a bit thick but when do you add the mixed pickle? (or lemon juice which is probably what I'll use...)

Hope you are healing well erm! X

Hope your hand is better and you have a lovely hol. Looking forward to catching up with more of your famous recipes :drool: :bighug: xxx

Hey Erm

I feel like I must introduce myself, my name is Charley and I am your peeping tom - that is how I have felt over the last year or so that I have been reading your Food Diary. I am a fairweather dieter who has fab intentions but never quites "gets" the dieting thing - cheating really does get in the way! Anyhow I have dipped in and out of the forum, specifically your food diary since you started it. But recently I felt I needed to really do something about myself as I am edging towards my biggest weight and I am scared - so last week in my lunch hour (and work hours, sssh don't tell my boss) I read your diary from beginning to end - I love it and I love your never ending lust for food and all things delicious and flavoursome, I love your enthusiasm and humour and I think you are fecking amazing!

Congratulations on your massive weight lose, you are pure inspiration for me. You hard worked really hard at it and you deserve the highest praise from us all - you are our Yoda! I am going to do it this time - and I am going to use your diary as my jedi training!

I have made a number your lentil shepherds pie - makes 4 big portions - not me it made 3 portions for me! I am so fecking greedy! I also made your Spanish Kebabs last night - good grief they were handsome - my boyf who is a fussy son of a gun loved them too!

I agree with so much of what you have said about SW recipes being crapola so I have decided to "do an Erm" and make them but put my spin on them, I am actually thinking of starting my own thread and re-creating a SW recipe book for myself - like that film Julie and Julia is it? Thats a good film, watch it if you haven't seen it, although do it on a full stomach!

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi and I am sorry I haven't emailed you before... I stupidly felt intimidated and not quite worthy! How daft is that!!!

Take Care and I hope your hand heels up nicely so you can treat us to more cyber culinary delights!

x

Hey Erm

I feel like I must introduce myself, my name is Charley and I am your peeping tom - that is how I have felt over the last year or so that I have been reading your Food Diary. I am a fairweather dieter who has fab intentions but never quites "gets" the dieting thing - cheating really does get in the way! Anyhow I have dipped in and out of the forum, specifically your food diary since you started it. But recently I felt I needed to really do something about myself as I am edging towards my biggest weight and I am scared - so last week in my lunch hour (and work hours, sssh don't tell my boss) I read your diary from beginning to end - I love it and I love your never ending lust for food and all things delicious and flavoursome, I love your enthusiasm and humour and I think you are fecking amazing!

Congratulations on your massive weight lose, you are pure inspiration for me. You hard worked really hard at it and you deserve the highest praise from us all - you are our Yoda! I am going to do it this time - and I am going to use your diary as my jedi training!

I have made a number your lentil shepherds pie - makes 4 big portions - not me it made 3 portions for me! I am so fecking greedy! I also made your Spanish Kebabs last night - good grief they were handsome - my boyf who is a fussy son of a gun loved them too!

I agree with so much of what you have said about SW recipes being crapola so I have decided to "do an Erm" and make them but put my spin on them, I am actually thinking of starting my own thread and re-creating a SW recipe book for myself - like that film Julie and Julia is it? Thats a good film, watch it if you haven't seen it, although do it on a full stomach!

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi and I am sorry I haven't emailed you before... I stupidly felt intimidated and not quite worthy! How daft is that!!!

Take Care and I hope your hand heels up nicely so you can treat us to more cyber culinary delights!

x

Ha ha!!! Hi Charleybarley I just wanted to say you SHOULD do a Julie/Julia thread deffo! I watched it yesterday and loved it. I wanted to go to Paris, drink martinis, wear pearls and eat sole meuniere. One day!

How are you Erm? When are you back? How's your hand doing? x

Morning campers, well Im back off holiday, no time to do any food/piccies as there's weeks worth missing :rolleyes: So I shall just start afresh today.

I have been SOOOOOOO bad on holiday! :eek: Normally I plan my meals in advance and just go a bit loopy on the wine, which I did this time too but I also went a bit nuts on everything else :( The OH had fancy bread and loads of butter so I was snaffling bits of that every day, snacking on mountains of cheeeeeese :drool: plus there were birthdays with c*ke :sigh: , a last-minute trip to Tesco where I bought all manner of crap I shouldn't, oh and a mum offering me bladdy chocolate every 2 minutes (even though she's *supposed* to be on SW too :rolleyes: )

But unbelievably the scales were showing a STS when I got back! :eek: :faint2: At first when I stepped on the scales and saw the xx.13.5 I yelped and thought Id put a whole stone on! :cry: But actually I hadn't put *anything* on! :happy: I'd been angelic the week before and lost nowt so I think ye olde bodie was glad to see mountains of foooood and went a bit wild using it up :D

Soooo Tesco coming today, Jules's cheesy soup tonight I think :)

This sounds really yummy. Just a quick question and sorry if it's just me being a bit thick but when do you add the mixed pickle? (or lemon juice which is probably what I'll use...)

Ooh I just had this last night actually! :) I've edited it a bit since I wrote it though, too hot otherwise, my old age I suppose I cant take it any more :rolleyes: . Doesn't really matter when you out the pickle in, either with the tomatoes/stock etc before simmering or at the end when the garam masala etc go in. Last night I did just 1 tsp oil for the spices to pop, 1 tsp each of the other spices (cumin/fennel/nigella/mustard/fenugreek seeds and hing), I omit the chilli powder these days (you dont need it with the dried ones and pickle as well), mm chucked in the juice of half a lemon at the end with the garam masala, salt & pickle. Oh and I used 60g of mixed pickle which is 8 syns. Weighing it's easier than tablespooning it cos its impossible to make a level tbsp of lumpy pikle :D

Ah well here we go, Ill stick yesterday's food diary on then, although it's not really EE, it was supposed to be Green but I had no right food in :rolleyes:

Sunday 22nd April Extra Easy
Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA
Lunch: Beans on toast 1 HEXB & 6 syns for bread :rolleyes:
Tea: Chicken Achari 5 syns for oil and pickle
Snacks: Muller with cherry underlay 1.5 syns

7105588171_a2d3af3dda_o.jpg

Ooh hello and welcome Charley :wave: agghh I start to panic when I realise people I havent 'met' actually read this thread, best be on my best behaviour! :D (Not much chance o that agggghhhh :hide: ) And hello Jackieeeeee :bighug: whats been happening round gere while Ive been fakeocamping in the depths of Northern raindom? Never seen Julie and Julia, whats it about? Anything else happened while Ive been away?

Hello again Gin and dirtydancing and everyone else, nice to be back again! :bighug:

How exciting! Erm's back! Yippeeeee :)

Julie/Julia is film about a woman in NY who wrote a blog for a year during which time she cooked every recipe from an old Julia Childs cookbook. Apparently Julia Childs revolutionised American cooking when she wrote her guide to French cooking in the 50's i think it was. Was a gentle watch, I enjoyed it.

Welcome back Erm x

Oooh cool I'll have to watch that :)

Foodie time:

Monday 23rd April Green

Breakfast: Coffee & toast 1.2 HEXA & 7.5 syns
Lunch: Curried bean salad mashup :rolleyes: 3.5 syns for salad cream, oil & pickle
Tea: DC's Leek & potato soup with watercress pesto 2 HEXB for walnuts and oil
Snacks: Snacktastic today :rolleyes: Apple, nectarine, Muller light, baby corn, snap peas, tomatoes, peach, WW lemon tart, mini milk 1.5 syns

6963014664_2281701f07_o.jpg

Oh yeah, do watch the film, Meryl Streep plays the fantastically barmy Julie Childs! It's foodie related though, so if u are anything like me when watching food related stuff, you will be left drooling, hungry and on the next plane out to Paris! X

I have been known to think 'sod this' in a morning, be packed by lunch and on a Eurostar by the afternoon :D Although I'm not a big fan of Paris itself, I'd prefer to live in Spain or Germany tbh, but they dont speak French :8855: which is the only language Im not entirely hopeless at :rolleyes:

I like France, but I prefer the rural France to the Cities. I love the old bars and restaurants where they sell their own local wines for a couple of euros for a carafe and the food, oh lordy the food - I love the cheeses and hams and the breads and .... I always think of Countries by what they can offer me cuisine wise! Its no wonder why I am overweight really is it?! Spain: Aoili and Fuet (if in N. Spain) Chorizo, tortillas, paellas, tapas.... Italy: Pizzas, pastas, meats, wines. Turkey: Lahmahjun, koftas, dolamades lamb, lamb, lamb. I could go on but the skinny person inside me is telling me to stop!

Mmmm Ive never been to Turkey om nom nommmmmm :drool: Im very untravelled, I used to have all these plans then modes of transport gained aversions to me, every time Ive plan something it kind of goes tits skyward so Ive given up :( So Yorkshire it is :8855:

Ah thats a shame - i have never been to Yorkshire but i hear its beautiful and i lobe their puddings!!

So how about instead of you going there maybe we could bring their food to us and create an around the world foodie thread! My friends and I often have dinner parties where we pick a country and we create three courses around that country's cuisine, we could perhaps try that. Viva La Food! X

Ooh what a fab idea! 'Virtual' dinner parties! :D But with REAL food for the cook! :8855: Yay we should definitely do a thread like that, maybe in the Recipes room? :) Pick a country for the month or whatever and we can all post piccies of what we've made! Then the rest of us can drool in hunger (or maybe retch, depending what the rest of us post... :rolleyes: :8855: )

Back