Erm's Photo Diary

My Dennis Cotter book has just arrived! (You should be on commission Erm) I will not open it until I have done my exercises, I will not open it until I have done my exercises.... I will not.... I will...

Woooo where ya bin moonwatcher? Yay I just started on anoither DC book, Paradiso Seasons. Seemed very different to FTLOF at first, and it is a bit fancier in general but its more the layout I dont like. The colour/pictures seem a bit dated but mostly its just less clearly written so it took me a while to read through it all and pick stuff Id like to try, but my first recipe out of it was a success and would be equally at home in FTLOF! Starting on Isa Chandra tomorrow! :)

I don't think I've ever ever ever known anyone to lose that amount of weight. To do it on your own is even more amazing - have you ever been to a group?

I take my hat off to you Nic. Astounding. xx

Awww thanks so much jaylou :bighug: I never thought Id do it either! Ive tried to lose weight a gazillion times, sometimes Ive lost a couple of stone and fallen by the wayside again for whatever reason, but most of the time Id just give up after 2 or 3 weeks. I did used to go to group, I lost 3 stone at group when I was about 14 (and put it all back on), the same all over again when I went to uni, then I lost 6 stone at group about 8 years ago, but then I had a bit of a breakdown and put it all back on again. My C was AMAZING there though, it was her that got me to do it (Hennie, if youre out there you're fab, come back! x).

This time I tried a few groups, some were crap, some were OK but nothing special, nothing like Hennie :cry: and in the end I thought it wasn't worth the effort or money so started doing it at home.

I think what has saved the day this time around is partly this new love of cooking, but mostly this board! Ive just never tried food like this before, its a new world, even before when I was on SW it was never a 'diet' but at then same time it didn't get me *excited* about food, and I still looked forward to a MaccyD's after WI, or a pizza at the w/e or whatever, whereas with all these new recipes its so exciting to try new stuff and make it look and taste amazing! I think its the veggies that have done it tbh, I never knew a vegetable could be so fabulous! :eek: Superfree for the win! :8855:

But you lot have really done it for me I guess, youre better than any group, you keep me under control by having this diary going really! :bighug: If people are expecting a photo then it better be summat decent :D

Now maybe I should start taking pictures of the vino... :hmm: :8855:

Hi Erm

Congratulations on the 10 stone, that is fantastic :)

I love your attitude to eating and what you can cook and still follow S W principals. That is the difference to being able to stick at it I think, seeing what you can have rather than what you can't. I think I've found that this time around too and it has made all the difference.

ermintrude said:
Awww thanks so much jaylou :bighug: I never thought Id do it either! Ive tried to lose weight a gazillion times, sometimes Ive lost a couple of stone and fallen by the wayside again for whatever reason, but most of the time Id just give up after 2 or 3 weeks. I did used to go to group, I lost 3 stone at group when I was about 14 (and put it all back on), the same all over again when I went to uni, then I lost 6 stone at group about 8 years ago, but then I had a bit of a breakdown and put it all back on again. My C was AMAZING there though, it was her that got me to do it (Hennie, if youre out there you're fab, come back! x).

This time I tried a few groups, some were crap, some were OK but nothing special, nothing like Hennie :cry: and in the end I thought it wasn't worth the effort or money so started doing it at home.

I think what has saved the day this time around is partly this new love of cooking, but mostly this board! Ive just never tried food like this before, its a new world, even before when I was on SW it was never a 'diet' but at then same time it didn't get me *excited* about food, and I still looked forward to a MaccyD's after WI, or a pizza at the w/e or whatever, whereas with all these new recipes its so exciting to try new stuff and make it look and taste amazing! I think its the veggies that have done it tbh, I never knew a vegetable could be so fabulous! :eek: Superfree for the win! :8855:

But you lot have really done it for me I guess, youre better than any group, you keep me under control by having this diary going really! :bighug: If people are expecting a photo then it better be summat decent :D

Now maybe I should start taking pictures of the vino... :hmm: :8855:

I just wish I could cook like you! I'm a good cook don't get me wrong it's just I'd look at say the soup with the hot pepper salsa and think 'oh I won't bother with the salsa' and completely miss the recipe!

I just wish I could cook like you! I'm a good cook don't get me wrong it's just I'd look at say the soup with the hot pepper salsa and think 'oh I won't bother with the salsa' and completely miss the recipe!

Yeah I think it was Denis Cotter that instilled that in me. I was trying this black bean soup and on its own it was ok, a black bean soup, but just adding the coriander & spring onions it went O - M - G soup! :drool: The OH doesnt eat coriander and I kept saying to him he wad entirely missing the lushness of this soup. The salsa thing was easy, you gotta simmer the soup for 30min anyway, so I just chopped a coupla peppers, 2 garlic, 4 chillies and squeezed a lime, chuck it in a pan for a coupla minutes. Done! 25 min left til the rest of the soup's ready anyway! :eek:

Anyway I think half of the fun is in making it and how it looks, you feel like you're having something extravagant even if at the end of the day it is just, ah, potato & leek soup :rolleyes: :8855: tbh I wouldn't have been able to do this if Id been working full time so I am a bit er 'lucky'? (in a somewhat perverse sense of the word luck :rolleyes: )

Anyway Im on a good day today so lots of positive thinking, Im off on a treasure hunt later! Who was it that mentioned geocaching? I went and looked it up, I dont have a GPS but I've found out this cache is in a field at the end of the road from me so Im gonna go find it and then Im heading off to the shop to look at Androids to replace my defunct dinosaur phone. Then I can go treasure hinting every weekend! :D Gets me outta the house and a bit of exorcise!

ermintrude said:
Yeah I think it was Denis Cotter that instilled that in me. I was trying this black bean soup and on its own it was ok, a black bean soup, but just adding the coriander & spring onions it went O - M - G soup! :drool: The OH doesnt eat coriander and I kept saying to him he wad entirely missing the lushness of this soup. The salsa thing was easy, you gotta simmer the soup for 30min anyway, so I just chopped a coupla peppers, 2 garlic, 4 chillies and squeezed a lime, chuck it in a pan for a coupla minutes. Done! 25 min left til the rest of the soup's ready anyway! :eek:

Anyway I think half of the fun is in making it and how it looks, you feel like you're having something extravagant even if at the end of the day it is just, ah, potato & leek soup :rolleyes: :8855: tbh I wouldn't have been able to do this if Id been working full time so I am a bit er 'lucky'? (in a somewhat perverse sense of the word luck :rolleyes: )

Anyway Im on a good day today so lots of positive thinking, Im off on a treasure hunt later! Who was it that mentioned geocaching? I went and looked it up, I dont have a GPS but I've found out this cache is in a field at the end of the road from me so Im gonna go find it and then Im heading off to the shop to look at Androids to replace my defunct dinosaur phone. Then I can go treasure hinting every weekend! :D Gets me outta the house and a bit of exorcise!

Fab idea!

Another of my problems is chilli, I like strong flavoured food but I don't like it overpowered by chilli! Will just have to learn my level won't I?

I might have to start photographing mine! It won't look like yours but it's a start! Cheers Nic you're lovely ya know!

Oh and I reckon you might need to update your pic after all that loss!

Yay, I'm a fellow geocacher (twas Happyholidays talking about it too) - it's super. Really does get you out and about :) Have fun!

Woooo where ya bin moonwatcher? Yay I just started on anoither DC book, Paradiso Seasons. Seemed very different to FTLOF at first, and it is a bit fancier in general but its more the layout I dont like. The colour/pictures seem a bit dated but mostly its just less clearly written so it took me a while to read through it all and pick stuff Id like to try, but my first recipe out of it was a success and would be equally at home in FTLOF! Starting on Isa Chandra tomorrow! :)

I've been AWOL for a while Erm - had some really sh*tty stuff going on, you know - well it's still going on really, but I've got it under control a bit now. Caught up on your diary and decided I had to have the For the Love of Food book - and Amazon had it on offer for 11 quid something, so it must have been fate!:D I'm saving it to open later when I can sit down with a cuppa and drool over it.

That Chickpea and Leek Soup from the new book loves lovely... you know what's coming don't you ... any chance of the recipe? I reckon you should contact DC and ask him for an official title of Dennis Cotter's Healthy Eating Promoter!

Ten stone off is WOW, amazing, fantastic... I won't say unbelieveable, because it's your lovely food and your determination, plus your realistic and down to earth attitude that have made it very believeable!

I'm now off to google geocaching!

That Chickpea and Leek Soup from the new book loves lovely... you know what's coming don't you ... any chance of the recipe? I reckon you should contact DC and ask him for an official title of Dennis Cotter's Healthy Eating Promoter!

Ten stone off is WOW, amazing, fantastic... I won't say unbelieveable, because it's your lovely food and your determination, plus your realistic and down to earth attitude that have made it very believeable!

I'm now off to google geocaching!

Aww sorry to hear stuff isnt great x :bighug: Lifes a shitter :(

Heh heh I knew the recipe request would be coming so I already emailed it to myelf for the faves folder, here we go:

Chickpea, leek & rosemary soup with a hot pepper salsa

Serves 3-4

Ingredients:
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 or 4 leeks, halved lengthways & thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100ml white wine
- 200g potatoes, cubed (about 1 cm)
- 150g cooked chickpeas (75g dry weight if thats what youre using)
- About a litre or so of veg stock
- 3-4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tsp evo oil (or just use Fry Light)

For the salsa:
- 2 red peppers, peeled & finely chopped (I forgot to bake them in time to skin them so
just cut them with skin on, sod it, they seemed fine to me :rolleyes:)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 bird eye chillies, finely chopped (this made it very hot, you might want
to use a litle less! :eek:)
- zest & juice 1 small lime

Method:
- Fry onions in Fry Light until softening
- Add garlic & leeks for 5 min
- Add wine for 5 min
- Add potatoes, chickpeas, stock & rosemary, bring to boil & simmer for 30
min, covered

Meanwhile make the salsa:
- heat the oil & cook everything for 1 min. Leave to cool to room temp (I used pepper with skin so cooked it generously for
4-5min so it wasn't too tough)
- Remove rosemary sprigs and whizz about 1/3 of the soup up
- Season to taste and serve in shallow bowls with a pile of salsa in the middle. Nom!

I liked it a lot, not amazing though, but the OH thought it was fab :)

7453460148_8bfcbb2a4c_o.jpg

And this, dear readers, is where you can buy the original of said recipe:
51YNQ3XPESL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
;) :8855:

Well done that's amazing!!! You have lost a whole person... Actually more than my four children weigh together too lol ;)

Wow ten stone you have lost more than a whole me!! Soup looks lovely I would never have thought of salsa in soup but might need to try that sometime :) x

Stock is always free AFAIK. I use Kallo veggie stock cubes and they're definitely free. Im not sure there are any that aren't, maybe I suppose if they had a lot of oil in or something but I've never noticed any. What ones do you use?

Here we go, under Free foods:
Stocks & concentrates:
Bouillon powder
Cubes
Liquid stock concentrate
Ready to use liquid stock
Vegetable purees (tomato, garlic, ginger - no oil)

Thanks for that, my info is a couple of years out of date. How do you get access if you don't go to class, do you pay for online access? I always thought you went as you know everything :)
Tuesday 26th June Green

Breakfast: Coffee & fruit 1 HEXA
Lunch: Cheese salad 1 HEXA for cheese, 1.5 syns for mustard
Tea: Chickpea, leek & rosemary soup with hot pepper salsa 2 syns for oil & wine
Snacks: Snap peas, baby corn, tomatoes, Quorn slices

First day Ive eaten properly in quite a few days

New one today, from Paradiso Seasons. Went down very well with the OH!

7453460148_8bfcbb2a4c_o.jpg

This looks amazing AGAIN thanks Erms, sorta, cos I keep adding them all to my list ;)

Aaaand finally it's official:

7453472762_e84e334e84_o.jpg
:woohoo:

Id put on about half a stone by the time I got back but its all gone again so Im a STS this week, water retention from the vino I guess.

Right, positive thinking is the goal for today :cool:

O.........M....................GEEEEEE I am speechless and that's a first :eek: I have never 'met' anyone who has lost that amount of weight before. FANBLOODYTASTICO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am bowled over, you GOOOOOO Girl! IDK when you took that picture but you don't look like you need to lose weight in that shot, normally it goes on my face first. You are at target now I see too! How long did it take you? x

Well done Erms you have done brilliantly. To lose that amount of weight on your own is an inspiration to so many of us.

I totally agree that finding a passion in creating healthy tasting food really does help. I too have lost weight before, but always got bored and the weight went back on, that was until I found my passion for cooking. I have always enjoyed cooking, my parents fought me well in that aspect, but it was learning to cook healthy that changed me. While my weight loss has been slow here and there (having a baby added to that). I haven't put back on any of the weight I have lost, since I started my journey and I am so happy with that.

Keep up the delicious Healthy cooking :)

Yay, geocaching is brill, it's such a fun day out, I'd take a look at the clues before you go, as the caches are well hidden if you don't know what you're looking for, if that makes sense. After a while you get to know what to look for, BTW OH & DS are still on hols & still geocaching, apparently they're doing very well.

I wish I made more time to cook, I'm not saying I don't have time because I do at the weekend, I just dont plan enough, no there is just me & OH maybe I could make more of an effort.

Awww thanks everyone, you're all so lovely, you keep me going! :bighug:

Thanks for that, my info is a couple of years out of date. How do you get access if you don't go to class, do you pay for online access? I always thought you went as you know everything :)

O.........M....................GEEEEEE I am speechless and that's a first :eek: I have never 'met' anyone who has lost that amount of weight before. FANBLOODYTASTICO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am bowled over, you GOOOOOO Girl! IDK when you took that picture but you don't look like you need to lose weight in that shot, normally it goes on my face first. You are at target now I see too! How long did it take you? x

I paid for online access a while back so its still running even though I dont really think theres any point me still being signed up. Not sure what Ill do when this sub runs out, I keep telling myself I shouldnt renew it now but its just a psychological thing I guess, theres an "official" thing out there that says I really have lost 10 stone! I dont even use the food diary on there any more cos the MFP one is miles better.

Oh Im not at target no! :eek: Not by miles! Im still 17 and a half stone, long way to go yet! Oh I always forget to update the profile thingies when I achieve my next mini-goal, must go do it now. Think the piccie was about a year ago, I still look like a lardass :D Mmm I dont do piccies... might try and get a new one done when Im feeling OK :)

Yay, geocaching is brill, it's such a fun day out, I'd take a look at the clues before you go, as the caches are well hidden if you don't know what you're looking for, if that makes sense. After a while you get to know what to look for, BTW OH & DS are still on hols & still geocaching, apparently they're doing very well.

I wish I made more time to cook, I'm not saying I don't have time because I do at the weekend, I just dont plan enough, no there is just me & OH maybe I could make more of an effort.

Aww I didnt find it yesterday :( It was this one. I dont have a phone with GPS yet but I saw this one said West entrance to the park, its only a tiny park so I figured I didn't really need the GPS. When I got there I find theres two entrances on the West side, but theyre less than 100 yards apart so I tootled round looking. It said it was held by 2 magnets so Im looking at all the metal things, fence, signposts etc, but pretty much everything there is made of metal! Kept having a feel between metal plates on signs and stuff. No luck at the first entrance so I tried the second, then this guy who looked like he might be a security guard seemed to be following me round and I started to feel a bit ill so I went for a sit down. Not sure if I was being paranoid, was having a bad day yesterday in the afternoon. :( So I gave up, might go back with the OH when the park's shut so no muggles watching :D Someone found it at midnight once so its definitely outside of the park. The clue said it's brittle so be careful putting it back together :confused: But its also metal and one part silver one part black. I need geocaching lessons! :D

Probably not the easiest to start with, some magnetic ones are key safes, some are tiny black metal containers, some are snail shells and some are just home made!!

I like box ones best!

Back