everyone done their census?

You and me both. Dont understand why they needed by dob, my work address, my state of health..

They need to know your dob and health for planning finance, health and social care services. So they can model the number of people that will need access to hospital services, home helps, care homes, residential homes in the future, or be in receipt of pensions in relation to the working population.

I work in the health services and I can assure you that this data is most definitely put to use. In the recent H1N1 scare a huge amount of planning went into preparing for the event of a large outbreak - the number of people likely to be infected, the number likely to be hospitalised, how many staff would be out of action either because they have it or because they need to take time out as carers eg for children if their schools are closed, how many hospital beds might need to be turned over to H1N1 patients and how this would affect operations etc. A lot of this can't be done without the type of information the census collects.

Last edited:
I rent my property and am not in the UK at the moment - does that mean the "householder" should fill this out? Was just a thought. My mum didn't want me not to be included as she was worried that no-one would have a trace of me in 100 years haha - so she added me :D xx

I did it online. Took a couple of minutes.

I think it's a pretty good thing to do, actually. Gives a good idea of the ethnic and religious breakdown of the UK and it's pretty essential when you're planning public services. They need to know how many households there are in order to plan things like refuse collections and stuff, and the age and health questions let them know how they need to allocate resources to things like the health service.

I'm with MLM, a bit of an inconvenience but not difficult really.

I did mine online earlier. It took no time at all and I have no problem with any of the questions.
I even answered the religion question! There was a debate on Jeremy Vine the other day about what this meant, did it mean you had a religion, that you practised religion or that you just considered yourself to have a religion as it was the "right" thing to do. Was most interesting.

The thing for me is it does not seem ten years since I last filled out a form. Where on earth have the years gone :-(

I have been in this thread a couple of times, but every time I come to the off-topic thread list, I see "Everyone done their cousin?" as the thread title.

For the record, no. But why cant my eyes read properly???

did mine online about a week ago.

I started mine online yesterday, but had to stop when got to OH work address. He works on the railway & not sure which address to put done.

And I wasn't too sure about my daughter, she hasn't left home but stays at her boyfriends most nights. Well infact she lives there without leaving home:eek:

I'll finish it off later when I can confirm all the info with OH & DD.;)

BTW my daughter will be one of the people knocking on the doors of those who haven't filled there census in yet.

I did ours online yesterday. I agree with some of you though, I too was a bit miffed about them wanting to know all this information. Though its nothing compared to what they wanted to know when I had to apply for job seekers/housing/council tax benefit the other week, they might as well have asked my bra size and sexual preference while they were at it!!!

All done on-line. Don't see why they need to know what job duty's are or employers business name :rolleyes: But it's only once every 10yrs, so not really a hardship ;)

yep online, i couldn't face the hard copy lol.

All filled in - found it slightly unnerving that the health question was no.13 (unlucky for some) and after the week I've had felt as though I was tempting fate by ticking the 'very healthy' box! x

Filled it in last night and will post it tomorrow. A bit puzzled by people saying they filled it in ages ago - I thought it was supposed to be done on the 27th about the situation on that day. Unless everyone can see into the future, of course!

I did tactfully try to explain to an elderly relative of mine that sending in her form two weeks in advance was, at the age of 96, perhaps just a little optimistic!

But obviously I was too tactful, because she didn't understand me (or pretended not to!).

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago and they sent me another one with a letter explaining that it was not supposed to be completed until after the 27th.. oops..

it says that it's "confidential", but the data is being shipped to america to be sorted and compiled by a weapons company that now also deals in "inteligence gathering" software..
once it's over there, the Americans can keep a copy under the terrorism act ( or whatever it's called ), and similarly, people over here can demand to see the info for various reasons

I did tactfully try to explain to an elderly relative of mine that sending in her form two weeks in advance was, at the age of 96, perhaps just a little optimistic!

But obviously I was too tactful, because she didn't understand me (or pretended not to!).

Had to chuckle at this one :giggle:

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago and they sent me another one with a letter explaining that it was not supposed to be completed until after the 27th.. oops..

it says that it's "confidential", but the data is being shipped to america to be sorted and compiled by a weapons company that now also deals in "inteligence gathering" software..
once it's over there, the Americans can keep a copy under the terrorism act ( or whatever it's called ), and similarly, people over here can demand to see the info for various reasons

The ONS have denied that this is an issue saying that no personal census data will be handled or seen by any American-owned company. And no employees of Lockheed Martin (the company in question) will see or handle any personal census data. Therefore the Patriot Act cannot be applied by the US govt.

The census data is not being shipped to the US but is sent to a secure plant in Manchester and then to Hampshire where it is processed.

No doubt if the government had opted for a more expensive tender to avoid this company there would also have been an outcry. Not that the campaign to boycott the census ever really took off.

Last edited:
Circes said:
The ONS have denied that this is an issue saying that no personal census data will be handled or seen by any American-owned company. And no employees of Lockheed Martin (the company in question) will see or handle any personal census data. Therefore the Patriot Act cannot be applied by the US govt.

The census data is not being shipped to the US but is sent to a secure plant in Manchester and then to Hampshire where it is processed.

No doubt if the government had opted for a more expensive tender to avoid this company there would also have been an outcry. Not that the campaign to boycott the census ever really took off.

Hi circles. The ons are being economical with the truth. The new improved patriot act allows the US government to obtain information held by US owned companies, regardless of where it resides. There is also the fact that the data iz replicated across all their datacenters (including US ones). So Technically they could get info on us if they wanted. Quite why they would want to and what they would hope to find out by doing so is anyones guess. Don't know about you but i failed to register my communist tendancies on my census form - so i think i'm safe :)

Back