EXCERCISE DURING SS??

dibzzy

Hi..
just wondering if its ok to do power walking while doing SS? i need to lose a stone in about 3 weeks and was hoping to power walk to speed things up..is it possibe????:D

Hi ya,

I have followed the Lighter Life programme and am now moving on to Cambridge and on both plans it is advised not to up your exercise in the first few weeks if it is not something you did before, the fact your doing ss is enough of a shock to the body as it is.

You will find though that if you stick to the plan 100% you will most probably lose what you want to anyway, they say 1 stone per month, however when you start the plan you will lose quicker, one of my team members has lost 12 in her first week alone.

Good luck and just enjoy the pounds melting on their own.

Lisa bb x

I do exercise and am fine, but I must say I was exercising before the diet. You can power walk but it will not necessarily speed the loss up and you need to listen to your body. If you are doing it to get fitter then yes but if you are doing it to boost your losses you may be doing the opposite as exercise has been known to slow down weight loss on the scales.

It is entirely possible to powerwalk while doing SS.
Wether it will speed up your loss, however, is another thing entirely.

Certainly in the first couple of weeks, I'd be suprised if you could keep up the powerwalking for long enough for it have an effect anyway.

And don't forget, to lose enough calories to shift a stone you'd have to walk from here to Egypt :) so as good for you a walking is, it's not going to have a huge impact on your losses; thats why people who go to the gym but don't change their diets see slow losses - diet change is far more important for fat loss than exercise is.

Diets like LL and CD prove this, as you don't need to do any exercise at all to lose the weight, and as was said, doing too much can actually cause the opposite effect and put your body into Starvation mode instead of Ketosis, which in turn will make it hold on to whatever bodyfat is has for as long as it can, which you really don't want!

At the end of the day, while doing a VLCD like CD SS, your body will lose what it is prepared to lose, and thats that, you just have to take it as it comes, safe in the knowledge that so long as you are 100% SS on it, you can't NOT lose the weight :)

It is entirely possible to powerwalk while doing SS.
Wether it will speed up your loss, however, is another thing entirely.

Certainly in the first couple of weeks, I'd be suprised if you could keep up the powerwalking for long enough for it have an effect anyway.

And don't forget, to lose enough calories to shift a stone you'd have to walk from here to Egypt :) so as good for you a walking is, it's not going to have a huge impact on your losses; thats why people who go to the gym but don't change their diets see slow losses - diet change is far more important for fat loss than exercise is.

Diets like LL and CD prove this, as you don't need to do any exercise at all to lose the weight, and as was said, doing too much can actually cause the opposite effect and put your body into Starvation mode instead of Ketosis, which in turn will make it hold on to whatever bodyfat is has for as long as it can, which you really don't want!

At the end of the day, while doing a VLCD like CD SS, your body will lose what it is prepared to lose, and thats that, you just have to take it as it comes, safe in the knowledge that so long as you are 100% SS on it, you can't NOT lose the weight :)

Thanks for posting this, i was going to ask a similar question but found your post and it's relevent so i thought i'd chip in....

very interested in what Pete said(highlighted in bold)

I already did a high level of exercise so i was wondering whether to take 4 packs on the days when i do mucho exercise, i.e. a run or a big swim session, a a big gym session.... i.e. not on the days where i have a walk the dogs....

I wonder if my losses are slow as i'm burning extra calories that i can't afford and my body is resisting somehow? In the first week i lost 7.5lbs but i didn't feel great so did no exercise... now i've upped my exercise to my previous level my losses have slowed down.... anyone any thoughts?

If you already did a high level of exercise prior to starting SS then you should be fine to continue most of it, but you might want to tone it down a bit still. Your body is going through enough of a shock now only getting 500(ish) calories a day from liquids, let alone putting it through more stress from demanding levels of exercise you were doing before on enough calories to maintain an overweight weight!

Remember, at the end of the day you don't need to do ANY exercise at all to lose the weight on a VLCD, so if you think that it is actually holding your losses back, stop doing it for 2 weeks and see what happens!

I lost 6lbs in each of the first 4 weeks, then upped the exercise and lost less each week, now I'm losing between 1lb and 4lbs a week while doing daily exercise for 45-60 minutes. I'm happy to lose a little less each week while doing the exercise as a) I want to do it and am not risking losing that feeling, and b) it's setting up a good habit for after-VLCD times.

In the first week i lost 7.5lbs but i didn't feel great so did no exercise... now i've upped my exercise to my previous level my losses have slowed down.... anyone any thoughts?
How have you losses been each week?
Most people will always lose more in their first week and then less in subsequent weeks, it's just what happens. If you add up your weekly losses and are losing around the 14lbs a month mark, then you are doing very well!

Pete - you talk soooo much sense!!!

I'm keen to maintain my fitness levels and really don't want to stop running, as am currently building up from 5k to 10k on a 3 days a week plan... i have a big run in June that i am aiming for... plus it will help me to get more toned and should help with avoiding loose skin....

i am experimenting with 4 packs on active days for this week, and see if that helps as my body less likely to revert to starvation mode!

My losses were
Wk 1 - 7.5lbs
Wk 2 - 1.5lbs
Wk 3 - 6lbs
Wk 4 - 2.5lbs
Wk 5 - 3lbs
-------------
20.5lbs in 5 weeks
So still pretty good when you look at overall average.... like i said i did nothing on the first week as i felt weak and a bit bleugh! but for example week 3 was 6lbs at weigh in on the thursday and i had ran 2miles on the sunday/swam with sprog on sunday/swam 25 lengths on the tuesday/gym on the wednesday night - so still a pretty active week......... hmmmmn what a conundrum!

Thanks for your input mate!

Back