excess skin, whilst loosing weight

anita1975

hi,

i have a question. Both my husband and I have been on the slimming world plan for 4 weeks.

Doing good so far. The question is we both have bellies that hangover. (Flab).

How does the body, reduce the flab without leaving over hanging bellies?

If the question is not clear, please let me know.
:cool:
Regards

Skin is amazingly elastic, obvs everyone is different. But slow weight loss combined with exercise should deffo help.

Thats what Im hoping for anyway!

Yes, the skin should contract as the weight comes off, and the extent of this contraction depends entirely on you personally, your current size, your age, your health, the rate of loss and exercise.

The younger and healthier you are, the more likely it is that the skin will contract successfully, and obviously the more it has stretched, the harder it is to tighten back up fully.
Exercise will help to develop muscle, which can partially fill the space left behind when you lose fat, helping with the 'loose skin' issue, and the slower you lose weight, combined with muscle building, the more time skin has to 'catch up' with your size.

Finally, don't worry about loose skin until you have absolutely lost ALL the body fat you can in that area. Some people think they have loose skin when they still have some fat remaining beneath that skin. Once it has gone, the skin will tighten up a bit more still.

I think I will have this problem to some extent, but I'm not even going to consider it until I have lost every spare ounce :D

An old aerobics teacher of mine used to say that post pregnancy bellies were like a Sainsburys carrier bag..once its been stretched by carrying heavy shopping, it will never regain its original shape!

I wonder if regular body brushing and exfoliating helps along with the exercise?

I've lost just over 5 stone and had 3 children and I'm 40.
I was so worried about this when I started as I've always had a 'tummy'!
I've been at target for about 3 months now and it is amazing at how the skins shrinks back.
I've still got loose skin around the lower end of my tummy, but to be honest, it really does not bother me and the only person who ever gets to see it is my husband - it is not at all obvious in clothes and I wore a bikini on the beach this summer!!!
I do exercise (mostly walking, but some aquafit too), but I also used bio oil quite regularly, especially for my arms (I started using handweights about 4 months ago).
I'm thrilled with my results, but, even if my skin was really bad, being healthy far outweighs and loose skin :-D
Hope this helps.

I've been at target for about 3 months now and it is amazing at how the skins shrinks back.
I've still got loose skin around the lower end of my tummy, but to be honest, it really does not bother me and the only person who ever gets to see it is my husband - it is not at all obvious in clothes and I wore a bikini on the beach this summer!!!
I do exercise (mostly walking, but some aquafit too), but I also used bio oil quite regularly, especially for my arms (I started using handweights about 4 months ago).
I'm thrilled with my results, but, even if my skin was really bad, being healthy far outweighs and loose skin :-D
Hope this helps.

Thank you! This post helps me!

I'm 30, have a son who's almost 2 and I've lost almost 2 stone on the plan. However, I'm pregnant again now so I was worrying about my stomach growing again, and then when I lose weight next year, whether combined with the pregnancy I would end up with a loose stomach flap.

I'm feeling a lot more positive now about continuing with the weight loss after the birth :)

Hope this helps.

very relieved to hear this!! thanks for info!!!
belly bits don't worry to much (been hiding enough under clothes for long time)......its the bingo wings that im concerned about :sigh:

Thank you! This post helps me!

I'm 30, have a son who's almost 2 and I've lost almost 2 stone on the plan. However, I'm pregnant again now so I was worrying about my stomach growing again, and then when I lose weight next year, whether combined with the pregnancy I would end up with a loose stomach flap.

I'm feeling a lot more positive now about continuing with the weight loss after the birth :)

You're welcome! And Good Luck!!
I had my children by C section and thought that I'd never go back to having a nice tummy...but.....!
All I'd say, is nourish your skin as much as poss (don't bother with really expensive creams - the superdrug bio oil equivalent is fab!) and then just give your body time to recover.
The best compliment that I've ever had is someone telling me that I don't look as though I have lost loads of weight! Sensible eating and some exercise is all you need. xx

very relieved to hear this!! thanks for info!!!
belly bits don't worry to much (been hiding enough under clothes for long time)......its the bingo wings that im concerned about :sigh:

They will go (or at least significantly reduce) - just not overnight.
If you can, start with some arm exercises now and keep it going (starting now is important, I think). You just need some weights that you are comfortable with and 10 minutes.
Try and do bicep and tricep curls and some lifts out to the side - or whatever you can. Make it a routine thing (I did it most days, but it was only for 10 minutes) and as your weight reduces you will discover toned arms.
I hope that I don't sound too zealous! x

They will go (or at least significantly reduce) - just not overnight.
If you can, start with some arm exercises now and keep it going (starting now is important, I think). You just need some weights that you are comfortable with and 10 minutes.
Try and do bicep and tricep curls and some lifts out to the side - or whatever you can. Make it a routine thing (I did it most days, but it was only for 10 minutes) and as your weight reduces you will discover toned arms.
I hope that I don't sound too zealous! x

dont tricep dips and press ups help with bingo wings too.

Yes, the skin should contract as the weight comes off, and the extent of this contraction depends entirely on you personally, your current size, your age, your health, the rate of loss and exercise.

The younger and healthier you are, the more likely it is that the skin will contract successfully, and obviously the more it has stretched, the harder it is to tighten back up fully.
Exercise will help to develop muscle, which can partially fill the space left behind when you lose fat, helping with the 'loose skin' issue, and the slower you lose weight, combined with muscle building, the more time skin has to 'catch up' with your size.

Finally, don't worry about loose skin until you have absolutely lost ALL the body fat you can in that area. Some people think they have loose skin when they still have some fat remaining beneath that skin. Once it has gone, the skin will tighten up a bit more still.

I think I will have this problem to some extent, but I'm not even going to consider it until I have lost every spare ounce :D

Fab answer i totally agree xx

great thanks for the important.

This is an area that concerns me - my belly and sides have a lot of strech marks, but I am only 24. I am hoping that if i keep losing weight steady and keep the mindset of excersise as much as I can i will be ok... if not at least i know there would be nothing else i could have done - allthough i might get some coconut cream or something..

I am now inspired to get on the wii fit!!:D

Back