Excuses For Eating/Taking A Break Etc ...

You've got some good points there laura but this diet isnt intended to be stopped and started cuz of a meal or whatever. Its intended to lose weight and also, like you said help battle our eating problems.

Which is why for me i just dont get why some people chose to come off for a meal/one day when clearly this isnt meant to happen. Surely youd want this diet over with so you can carry on and eat and will have changed your train of thought on food?

To me, taking a day off is pointless and defeats the object of the point.

I am not criticising anyone nor am i calling those who do have a day off etc weak im merely just interested into reasons why as this topic irks me!!!

I have never been advised by my pharamcist that this diet was not intended to be stopped and started, she just said that it was up to what suited me. My I also add that this diet was not intended for people who were not morbidly obese.

LT will help you loose the weight, it will not help you change your eating habits etc, because if you dont address these habits etc, it will be all to easy to fall back into the same rut when you come off LT.

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one, and everyone is entitled to air theirs, as you and I are doing. The thing is that everyone is different and what works for you will not work for someone else, this is something that has got to be respected. I have never at any stage came of LT for a day and have never thought about doing so, but for those people who have, fair play to them, the maybe have a special event and instead of saying "oh I will take the whole week off" they say one day and straight on the wagon! One day off in my opinion would be a hell of alot harder than one week off.

Being on LT is more than just not eating, for me its a lot more. I miss grocery shopping, days out for lunch, Sunday lunch at my parents. These are not just about eating but about spending time with people and doing things that are normal all around the world.

In our house as there is just the two of us, there is no grocery shopping, no cooking, this might seem like nothing, but from the moment we are born we are surrounded by food, and taught how important it is to eat, then nothing.

LT is a diet that I am truely thankful for finding and it has given me a whole new lease of life, it has given me hope when I had lost hope.

I dont need someone questioning anything that I do while on LT. As you are on LT you know how hard it can be, you should just accept how people manage their weight loss journey, as it is that a long journey, and get on with yours. Its great that you can stay on it for a a long time without stopping, but some people such as myself, want to have fun on that journey. Loosing all the weight wont happen over night if your obese, the trick is to make a start, have a break and tell yourself its time to being the other legg of the journey, in my opinion and its what works for me.

Rome was not built in a day.

Being on LT is more than just not eating, for me its a lot more. I miss grocery shopping, days out for lunch, Sunday lunch at my parents. These are not just about eating but about spending time with people and doing things that are normal all around the world.

Ok, but surely things can be done that doesnt involve food?

Surely this is one of the learning curves!!

And yes, everyone has different opinions and like i have said i was merely wondering peoples reasons for stopping for a day.

From what i have heard its far harder to get back on so yes in that respect well done to them but then at the same time if your not ready to 'eat' and still havnt conquered the fact that food is what got you to the place you are now then why risk it for one day?!!

Ok, but surely things can be done that doesnt involve food?

Surely this is one of the learning curves!!

And yes, everyone has different opinions and like i have said i was merely wondering peoples reasons for stopping for a day.

From what i have heard its far harder to get back on so yes in that respect well done to them but then at the same time if your not ready to 'eat' and still havnt conquered the fact that food is what got you to the place you are now then why risk it for one day?!!

On LT you will not curb the habit of bad eating, when you come off LT you say to yourself ok I can change all the mistakes I have made in the past, but it is all too easy to fall back into the same old rut.

How can a family meal be done without food? How can a weekend away with the boys be done without food?

Its about retraining yourself which you cannot do on LT as food is taken out of the equasion for you.

The learning curve and the retraining curve only begins after you stop LT!

Anyone who is on LT, unless they are doing it for a quick fix and dont totally understand the process knows what got them in this situation in the first place. LT is just the first step on that road, loosing the weight on LT is the 'easy' part its keeping it off that is the hard part!!!!

On LT you will not curb the habit of bad eating, when you come off LT you say to yourself ok I can change all the mistakes I have made in the past, but it is all too easy to fall back into the same old rut.

How can a family meal be done without food? How can a weekend away with the boys be done without food?

Its about retraining yourself which you cannot do on LT as food is taken out of the equasion for you.

The learning curve and the retraining curve only begins after you stop LT!

Anyone who is on LT, unless they are doing it for a quick fix and dont totally understand the process knows what got them in this situation in the first place. LT is just the first step on that road, loosing the weight on LT is the 'easy' part its keeping it off that is the hard part!!!!

Ok i do agree - for me im a student, dont have kids dont have no one else to look after so im guessing were complete opposites. :cool:

Although, my opinion is still strong on the fact that i just dont see the point in breaking for a day and just wondered peoples reasons! :p

I dont have kids and I only have a OH to look after and hes a big boy :D We absoloutley love spending time with our families which is usually Sunday lunch with my parents, maybe an evening with his parents, days out with my siblings and same for my OH. We enjoy evenings out with friends and we enjoy days out just the two of us, and food does play a part in that.

I have changed a whole lot since starting LT, I put my deep fat fryer, which I also used to make chips with, away in August last year and have not used it once since. I bought a George Foreman grill, and do not fry anything at all. If I need to add oil I use the one calorie spray.

Life is what you make of it, and if you make yourself miserable then noone else can change that, and by taking breaks on LT makes me happy, then that is what I will contiune to do.

Taking breaks also lets me see how I can change things and habits that I once formed. These habits are impossible to break on LT

For me personally, i couldnt take a break as i am only on week 2 but already, i have realised a lot already about my eating habits.........
i didnt realise how much i 'picked' until i had to be conscious of this ie cooking for the family i would pick as i would taste as i was cooking, this has been really hard as i cant taste what im dishing out to them, i would eat instead of drinking when thirsty, i would eat the kids left overs as i hate to waste it even if i had eaten my own meal, i make fruit salads and healthy lunch for the kids to take to school (and my OH for work) but couldnt be bothered to do this for myself so when hungry id grab 'rubbish', i need to be organised so that this doesnt happen when im off the diet, id eat when bored and as ive been dieting on and off since my 2nd child whose 5and a half now, i would binge before starting as i would see it as 'depriving' myself. I have felt so much healthier since being on LT that im more determined to find out about healthy eating so that i can maintain my weight wheni get to goal! So i definately couldnt stop and then start again especially so soon but surely for those who want to be slim will put the work in and those who arent serious wont!!! however if I was really really obese im not sure how long i could keep going for in one go, im not really in the position to say as im only in week 2.....wot i do know is that i need to see healthy eating as a way of life and a good thing not a bad thing but also that i can have a bit of everything because moderation is the key xxx

My first was a trip to New York!! Was certainlynot going to abstain. Was a really good experiment to try eating healthily. Gettingbackon was tough but I am so determined and have lost two stone since. Going to centerparcs tomo so am refeeding. I am on this til July and I need to break it up into smaller steps to make it more manageable!

Well said Laura, peoples journeys are all individual, people need to do what is best for them and if people choose to take a break then so be it, a thread on here looking at why people break LT and whether its justified is pointless to me. Not everyone can keep their Halo from slipping !!

Am certainly not criticising - i too have the same views as yous - everyones journey is individual and like i have already said i was wondering why people do chose to break!

Back