Exercise Advice Please

pmosgirl

Hi Everyone

Well, here I am, week 7 and 23lb's lighter. I feel fab and am starting to look fab too!!!

As the weeks have gone by, I've just kept walking the dog, I do this every day for an hour.

I'm now getting the feeling, that I would like to do some more exercise. I know that going to the gym doing cardio on the treadmill/cross trainer is a bit of a no no at this moment through my LL journey.

Can anyone give me some advice on what exercise I could start doing, that won't make me faint (lol).

Thanks everyone

Congrats on your loss

I guess when I started with the exercising I just listened to my body and that is the most important thing.

I am running for half an hour each day at the moment and then half our weights (one of the downsides of this diet is that sagging skin can kick in due to fast loss)

I am also doing Callanetics twice a week to tone up too and all of this is not causing me to feel weak at all

Good luck and keep up the amazing losses

Hi Girls

Sammy (2) - that is some schedule!!! I recommend The Bodydoctor (Bodydoctor Fitness - Fitness, Slimming, Training and Weight loss programmes) for the non-cardio vascular elements of his programme. There is a book and a DVD, I think. Tiger Girl had a great gym regime, which I am sure she would be happy to share. It is on here...somewhere!

They do advise against too much exercise but Lesley, one of my blogging chums Live to Slim - Bring It On, has exercised regularly throughout the programme and has amazing weight losses to prove you can do it.

I really wish I had exercised earlier - no two ways about it - I have walked at least 10,000 steps each day but it wasn't enough. Having said that, I would have struggled given that my energy wasn't great.

Good for you for thinking about it! Hope this helps.

And well done both of you for very good losses!!!

Take care.

Mrs Lxxx

Hi there - for the first 20 weeks or so I kept up with trying to walk at least 5 miles every day (or 8 miles or so every other day with some cycling or other gentle CV work on other days) If I was exercising I tried to make sure that I added another litre or so to my water intake for the day.

I also did yoga for 1.5 hours a week - although this has eased off in recent weeks due to work pressures and just not having any energy since I dropped below a BMI of 26 or so - I have no idea why although I have a feeling that my blood pressure has dropped quite low but my GP's monitors haven't picked this up as I am always so anxious when I visit my local clinic.

I can run a mile at a time now though and do one yoga class and cycle to work twice a week. So I make sure that I get al least 3 sessions of more than 30 minutes in to a week.

The water is key though - and if you find yourself getting shaky or wobbly make sure you get more down you - I also used the LL savoury drink to keep my salt levels up when I was pushing myself hard.

I stayed away from doing any muscle building exercise, although if you look up body pump and keeliewheeliebin you'll see the example of someone who really speeded up her weightloss doing an exercise that is usually not recommended - I say if you're usually fit and strong and like a challenge you should find anything that appeals to you and go for it as long as you stay hydrated!

Hi there. I am at week 10 and just asked this question myself a couple of weeks ago. The advice from most people is right - go with what feels right. I made it back to the gym and last week took a high energy cardio class (BodyCombat). I kept it steady and didn't go crazy but I really enjoyed it, definately felt the lack of the 3 stone even though I am still carrying way too much weight. Afterwards I felt fantastic. So you might feel up to 5-10 minutes on the cross trainer here and there if that feels right to you. I definately haven't felt weak - in fact felt like I had more energy than ever before but am still holding back a bit a building exercise back in slowly. Swimming might also be really good with it being quite supportive and would help with toning up as you lose.

I've been exercising throughout. I did a Body Step class on Saturday and I usually do half an hour either on the treadmill or cross trainer each morning plus RPM or Body Pump classes if they don't clash with social occasions.

BUT I was already exercising. If you haven't been active (other than walking the dog) it might be a building up thing for you.

If you are going to try something more energetic, make sure you listen to your body and stop if you feel unwell or faint or dizzy.

Hey pmos
I started exercising in a serious way during week 6. I've posted loads about exercise so have a quick search and you will find them. But, I'm in no way qualified to give anyone any advice so agree with the mini's above on finding something that works for you.
I have the upperbody strength of a kitten and knew strength training was going to be a big thing for me. I started exercising at home - step, light weights, yoga DVD, lots and lots of floor exercises and stretching...
When I made it back to the gym I was very clear on what I wanted. No high cardio (my energy levels are a bit difficult to predict, and the fat burning was happening elsewhere) but definitely wanted some fabulous strength and toning programmes.
After I'd been back into the gym for a month I hired a trainer - best decision ever. He did get a bit carried away in some kind of sadist style behaviour but we've know reached the same place in terms of our goals for my fitness levels based on my current intake of dust and water!!
You've got to listen to your body - noone knows as much about what you're body is telling you than you!
I have one Personal Training sesh a week (I was having 2 but it was just a little bit too much for me) and 2 sessions on my own.
I have yet to find an excuse not to do a minimum of 80 situps a night. I find them a little addictive to be honest. Put the telly on, get on the floor and get crunching! Easy and soooo helpful :D

Let us know how you're getting on :)

Just a quick thank you to all of you for your replies. I can't swim at the mo, but am going on a residential course in September to learn, I will then try and swim 3-4 times a week.

I think I will also venture into the gym tomorrow, I'm lucky as we have a gym at work that I can use for free. Better start making use of it again me thinks.

Cheers guys - as usual you've all been a font of all knowledge, don't know what I would do without Minimins!!!!!!!!!!!

Back