• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Exercise breakthrough (kinda)

Not really sure where this post is going to go, just wanted to get down what I was thinking on the way home today.

So each night this week I have done a combination of walking/running/sprinting between work and home (approx. 5 miles) going off of Huseyin's "burst training" idea, spending 5 minutes walking, 2 or 3 minutes slow jogging and 30 seconds sprinting, repeating that cycle as much as I felt I could (usually 4 or 5 times, but which I'm almost home!)

As I was doing it tonight, I got thinking (as I came to the end of my 2nd "sprint" section), that while I was trying to "get my breath back", actually, I wasn't breathing *that* hard.

So I began thinking, maybe some of this "out of breath, can't go on" that I feel when running is somewhat in my head?
And although the sensation of having to breathe harder and deeper isn't all that pleasant, well, I haven't had to do it for a LONG time, so maybe I'm just not 'used' to it? If that makes sense?

So as I began my next running bit, I decided that instead of bottling out of it when my breathing got a bit hard, I'd keep going as long as I could. And you know, I got to 5 minutes and realised that I could go on more, as long as I 'put up' with the harder breathing thing. It was a weird moment of mind-over-matter!

I ended up jogging for almost 15 minutes, by which time I had made some serious headway towards being home and decided to walk that last 5 minutes or so to cool off.

So yeah, amazed that I managed to run that far/long and not be dying on the floor, gasping for breath and taking huge hits from my inhaler (didn't need it at all!)

Best part is, I got home in 40-odd minutes instead of an hour + as it usually takes!

I tell ya, this exercise shctick could get pretty addictive I reckon :D :cool:

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Thats fantastic hun I've discovered the same thing I can go on a lot longer than I 'think' I can, seriously well done :D

xXx

bekimo

Fighting Demons....
Well done! I am still talking myself into the whole exercise thing. My idiot cousin went off and got herself a bloke so i am left to go to the pool alone. GULP!

B x

EmVeg

Do a little dance!
Well done Pete!!

Can't wait until I manage to break that boundry...although 2x30 minutes walks in the last couple of days is going in the right direction.

nice one pete!!
you will be doing the marathon this time next year!
daisy x

Well done Pete. I can relate to what you are saying although I am in awe of you RUNNING!
i went for a bracing walk along the sea front with OH on Sunday afternoon and felt so proud I could walk and talk without getting breathless, feeling like I was going to die and going puce!!!!
I might even do it again.......maybe.

Thanks all! :) I keep reminding myself too that I used to run around a rugby pitch for 45+ minutes playing games, used to ride miles and miles on my bike every weekend for fun - it's reminded me that when I was a kid, I used to love doing all this active stuff, and now I really feel that coming through again; gotta do my best to keep it up! :D

to top it off, I got on my new facy scales tonight (I know, bad Pete! bad!, but I couldn't resist) and they tell me that this week I've lost 6lbs, so I'm well chuffed with that too! Just hoping the WI scales tomorrow night agree :p

Tange

Silver Member
Well done Pete. When you are jogging try breathing in twice and out twice (in, in out , out), not sure if that makes sense.
I find I can go on for longer when I breathe like that. A nifty trick taught to me by a friend that does tri-athlons.

well done Pete! It's great being able to run isn't it!
Unfortunately I'm not able to do anything high impcat as I have a very bad back so sprinting is out of the question. Began joggin a couple of weeks ago and have done 6 miles every day ever since. Think I may have a day off tomorrow but you're right, it's completely addictive once you've got out there and reaslise you can do it!

Well done and keep going. I'll race you!!

RR said:
you're right, it's completely addictive once you've got out there and reaslise you can do it!
It certainly is!
I've also deicided to pick up another hobby of mine which I had to drop due to my weight gain, bmx street/dirt riding. Decided that my running is going to get me fitter, and when I hit my target of 14.7, I'm going to treat myself to a new bike to start out again :D

~I like having goals. Especially goals that give me things I want!~

:D