Exercise Help!!

faye0310

hi everyone i need some help. I have lost 3 stone (i have another 2 1/2 to go) so far and things have started slowing down. i think this is because i dont do any exercise (apart from walking to and from my car!!). i was going to start swimming twice a week but as i have just moved in with my boyfriend i cant really afford it. i was going to get a fitness dvd but dont know which to get theres so many and ive had loads of different recommendations off different people. i was just wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions.

i have also heard from a number of people that if you do too much exercise you will turn your fat into muscle, this has worried me coz i dont wanna do exercise and go to WI and not lost any weight.
arrgghh!!!! i dunno what to do to help speed this weight loss up!!!

firstly well done on the loss so far, that's brilliant!, secondly, you cannot turn fat to muscle, fat is fat and muscle is muscle, one doesn't turn into the other, yes if you do weights you will build muscle but to be honest it would take years to really build loads of muscle that would put your weight on so don't worry about that.

It sounds like your body is plateauing a bit, you don't have to exercise to lose weight with SW, your weight losses will naturally slow down anyway as that happens as you get nearer your target.

Sometimes its just a case of mixing up your plan a bit and getting back to basics with food optimising as if it was your first week all over again, read your books and start from scratch that can be all it takes to kick start things

If you want to exercise that's great, but it really depends what you like to do as to finding something that you will stick to, for me its running because it's free, I can fit it in around my kids and its the only exercise I have ever found that I can stick at and that really drops the weight.

Most exercise doesn't burn a lot of calories per hour and people expect too much from it, to burn a lb of fat you need to 'use' 3500 calories, when you consider an hours swimming will burn around 300 cals, you would have to swim for an hour for 11 days just to lose 1lb of fat!, some people expect to go swimming 2 or 3 times a week and lose half a stone, it just doesn't work like that unfortunately

the biggest thing with exercise is finding something you enjoy, not just doing it to lose weight as you won't stick to it

thanks alot rachelina, i have always enjoyed swimming so i think thats gonna be the best thing for me when i can afford it. i wont expect a massive difference to my weight lose from doing it be it would be nice to get a bit fitter. i didnt relise it wud take so much exercise to lose the lbs!! i think it will do me good going back to basics im eating the same things all the time 2.

wow, well done on all that weight youve lost, thats fab!
I heard the claire from steps workout is really good, as is the davina ones. depends what kinda workout you want?
I bought a mini trampoline, it was only 19pound from argos and its great! i stick some music on and bounce about n have a dance while working up a sweat haha! Also - the cheapest form of excerise is walking! drive up to somewhere pretty, and do some good walking! or even just leaving the car behind and walking to the shop and carrying the shopping home, which is hard work but worth it!
Its true that excerising you will start to build up muscle, and muscle does weigh more than fat - so you might see a difference on the scales and this is really de-motivating! What you should do is take all your measurements, and the weeks where you've done lots of excerise and not lost as much as you would like - see how many inches you have lost! This is such a boost, to know your waist is getting smaller and smaller thighs etc :) Then you aren't losing yr motivation and going off the plan. Good luck and let us know how you get on! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hiya everyone well i since last monday i have done 40 minutes of exercise every nite (apart from saturday) and i was good with my food, i got weighed last night and i stayed the same! im totally gutted. im gonna do the same this week and see what my weight loss is like next monday. :(

Dont be put off Hun, its your body getting used to doing the exercise now after so long and has to adjust. Keep at it and you will see a difference.

Hey Faye, remember what I said in my other post? don't expect miraculous weight losses with exercise!, the exercise bit is simply going to tone you up as you lose weight, it won't really help you lose loads hun, the main focus of exercising should be ENJOYMENT, not to speed up the weight loss, don't get obsessive about exercising like mad to try to make you lose weight quicker, it just won't happen, stick to the plan and exercise because you want to, when you want to, and the weight will come off in its own good time, you can't rush it I'm afraid

Well done on the weight loss! That much exercise will make your muscles hold on to water for a couple of weeks, so don't panic! It will even itself out! And get your tape measure out, I guarantee you will lose inches, and your body will change shape!
Your local library should have some exercise dvds, so you could try out a few. We get them free from ours, or if you rent videos, try some from there. Lovefilm have a free 14 day trial!

I am a great believer in walking for exercise. I am a volunteer walk leader with my local walk and talk group, we take people for short walks 1.5 to 2 hours at a time, twice a week. The walks are all free of charge. Take a look at the website and see if there is a group near you.
http://www.whi.org.uk/

thanks for the support everyone i feel like im in a bit of a weight loss rut at the minute, my boyfriend has taken a shine to goin walking so i went out and bought some walking shoes and we went to go for a walk on sunday but got stuck in snow so fingers crossed we will get out this weekend.

The snow and ice has been a problem where I live as well, but hopefully it has gone now, so no excuses anymore, got to get out there.

Well done on your weightloss so far and i am glad that you and your boyfriend have found you both like walking. Walking is great for you and its free so even better. If you are going to get a workout dvd still i like the rosmary conoly ones. However i am in 2 minds about buying claire from steps. Good luck with the rest of your weightloss and i'm sure things will start to speed up when your body gets used to all the exercise.

Back