exercise in first week?

hi Emma

Cardio does, as it burns cals and as you are on a VLCD, you wouldn't have the energy and your body would stop loosing weight as it will start storing the cals. But you can tone.. I've just started up a Sit Up Challenge, take a look there are some bits on there about toning arms too. x

hi, i read on one of the threads that exercise in 1st wk of cd could actually slow wt loss - is this true?:confused:

There really is no straight answer to this as much depends. How much exercise, how fit or unfit you are, what sort of exercise...etc, etc.

I would suggest that in your first week you take it steady. Maybe a little extra walking if you feel up to it, or taking the stairs instead of the lifts in the office or shops. Listen to your body. Don't assume that it's bound to speed up weight loss.

Later on, increase every day 'life is worth living' exercise (hey...I like that description LOL). So basically...moving more...not going mad. And again, further on into the diet add some resistance exercises if possible.

Leave the hard core stuff to when you are going up the plans and in maintenance.

If you want to make your muscles stronger, then do some toning exercises. Wont tone mind you LOL Just make you stronger which has other health benefits.

Listen to your body though. Don't push yourself too hard

There really is no straight answer to this as much depends. How much exercise, how fit or unfit you are, what sort of exercise...etc, etc.

I would suggest that in your first week you take it steady. Maybe a little extra walking if you feel up to it, or taking the stairs instead of the lifts in the office or shops. Listen to your body. Don't assume that it's bound to speed up weight loss.

Later on, increase every day 'life is worth living' exercise (hey...I like that description LOL). So basically...moving more...not going mad. And again, further on into the diet add some resistance exercises if possible.

Leave the hard core stuff to when you are going up the plans and in maintenance.

If you want to make your muscles stronger, then do some toning exercises. Wont tone mind you LOL Just make you stronger which has other health benefits.

Listen to your body though. Don't push yourself too hard

KD, I was told that toning with low weights does tone upper arms (hand held weights) and sit ups, tones the abs as well.

Nikki x

KD, I was told that toning with low weights does tone upper arms (hand held weights) and sit ups, tones the abs as well.

Nikki x

Toning is a mix of fat loss and muscle gain and since you wont gain muscle on this diet (and very unlikely on weight loss diets), then it's just fat loss and preserving the muscle you have at the moment.

There's a lot of media hype that says otherwise, but it's not true.

I think it does work.. purely for the reason that last time I was doing CD last year, I was doing sit ups daily and felt my tummy tighten and wasn't so flabbly.. lol. I've had 3 c sections, so doing that helped me and also did upper arm toning and also noticed a difference to the bingo wings. Thing is when you loose so much weight, you have all this loose skin and thats what I didn't want, and these did help :) x

I've had 3 c sections, so doing that helped me and also did upper arm toning and also noticed a difference to the bingo wings. Thing is when you loose so much weight, you have all this loose skin and thats what I didn't want, and these did help :) x

So you reckon the exercises tightened up your skin pushing any fat inwards? But losing fat will reduce the size of your arms...and the skin's electasity (sp) is more genetic, age etc

But, toning muscles is muscle gain with fat loss...not possible on this diet.

I know my tummy muscles have been loose with having the c sections and yes, definately, for sure the sit ups tightened them. Also my upper arms, again tightened the skin as I lost.

Nikki x

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this :D

A good article here. You can believe much of what you read on th net, but this one has been checked out and approved, and does go along with 'expert' opinions.

Can You Really 'Tone' Your Body?

"You can't make a muscle longer (without surgery) and you can't etch it into a certain shape or look. If your goal is to see your muscles, your goal isn't toning--it's losing body fat. "

Can be fun to do these exercises though and helps other things :)

KD Rushes away from thread and hides in the cupboard with a craft peak in every now and again :D

Hiya..
I am not working out and I am in my first week. I plan to use power plate from tomorrow though. Too tired for a full on work out of any sort this week but I am normally an active person so I walk about a lot.
Once I up the plan, I will be working out very hard as I am to go snowboarding in April and I really want to be super fit for it..I am generally not flabby but 2010 aim is to be somewhat super fit :))

go you s786!!!! lol, you do sound v fit - I used to be but developed arthritis last year which has been quite progressive and not able to do alot til on the right treatment. it's likely because of this that ww was useless for me took me 3-4 weeks to lose 5lb. If i can tone up that would be lovely, esp my tum - I have 2 kids now but it was far from perfect before this!

go you s786!!!! lol, you do sound v fit - I used to be but developed arthritis last year which has been quite progressive and not able to do alot til on the right treatment. it's likely because of this that ww was useless for me took me 3-4 weeks to lose 5lb. If i can tone up that would be lovely, esp my tum - I have 2 kids now but it was far from perfect before this!
haha Thanks Emma, I am not as fit as I'd like to be but although I need to lose 3 odd stones, I fit into TopShop size 14, sometime 12...I am not flabby but still need to get this weight off. I been silly enough to sign myself for a snowboarding camp in Canada which will kill me if I am not super fit hehe.. I,ll be working out like crazy april onwards..Untill then, I aim to SS , powerplate and tonning..its my 2010 resolution to be an athlete fit haha.. xx !!

TBH - I just don't have any energy to do anything other than walking lol can browse shops for hours at a steady pace but anything which gets me outta breath on SS - Forget it !

S786 wow, I would give anything to be a size 12 - what size do you want to be?
Fitz, i know the feeling about exercise but I have been diagnosed with spondyloarthritis which affects mainly spine but also hands/feet and it's very imp that i have daily exercise to prevent joint stiffness/deformity. Plus i convinced hubby to buy me a treadmill so I could go for 10 mins here and there and I havent used it yet, which he keeps pointing out, lol!xx

Does anyone know if you can use wii fit or ea active for the wii when you're on ss after the first week? Or will it really mess up my weightloss?

Back