Exercise, no syns or write it off??

jellibabe

Hi all,

Im looking for a little advice about what to do with my day, Ive read through all my books and can't find anything about this. I have had a great week so far and eaten about 5 syns a day which is good for me, but today I had to work and it was a set lunch of Jacket potato which is good, but not when it came LOADED with cheese and it was all melted and mashed in, so it was either go without lunch or eat it, so I kinda picked at it and had the salad as well, so that wasnt to bad, I was thinking I would just not use any more syns for the day. But we had an evening planned out at a bbq and again it was a set menu, no picking what you wanted, just given the plate of food... so I had the potatos, salad, plain pasta...all good but then a burger in a bun and a coil of cumberland sausage... maybe I shouldnt of eaten it, but everyone had the same and I didnt want to start being picky and ungrateful (charity event) so I ate that too...

Sorry this is a bit long but I just want to know what I should do
A - Exercise some more tomorrow (I normally run 3 miles 3 days a week)
B - Go for a few syn free days
C - Write of today and just carry on as normal tomorrow?

I am planning ahead now and on a night out next week with a set menu so just phoned and ordered a steak and salad and cancelled my starter and pudding ;)

H x

Personally I'd forget about it. As you're only used to 5 syns I'm sure it feels strange when you use more but you'd still be within your weekly allowance so it's not like you've come off plan, you just ate more than normal. :)

^^^ what laura said hun. I would write it off. Just get back on the wagon and start fresh. It may not even have done any damage. pinkies crossed xx

^^^^^^^^^ Same as the other posters. I would write it off and start tomorrow afresh. If you only normally have 5 syns a day you will still be within your syn allowance for the week.

I agree, if you've only had 5 syns a day, count it as a flexi syn day and start again tomorrow as normal.

Don't think all is lost. It's just a 'flexi-syn' day, so write it off. You may be surprised by your loss - a good feed can really shake up the metabolism sometimes...Good luck!

ZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is why you have flexible syns, read up on it :p

I agree, if you've only had 5 syns a day, count it as a flexi syn day and start again tomorrow as normal.

Don't think all is lost. It's just a 'flexi-syn' day, so write it off. You may be surprised by your loss - a good feed can really shake up the metabolism sometimes...Good luck!

ZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sorry to be pedantic but that's really not what flexi synning is about. There seems to be a lot of confusion about it but flexi synning is not the same as using your syns on a weekly basis where you can have more syns on one day and make up for by having less on others.

I wouldn't call it a flexi day because it wasn't planned personally, but I wouldn't try to make up for it as you only use 5 syns a day anyway.
Any extra exercise is a good idea too.

I'm not a fan of 'drawing a line under it' & 'writing it off'.

Personally as you've only had 5 syns per day you can incorporate the syns you've eaten at the bbq into your weekly syn allowance.

I don't know what day WI is but if it's before you're next night out you can allow yourself another treat, that's what syns are for, that way you don't feel guilty or deprived and are less likely to go off plan.:)

Sorry to be pedantic but that's really not what flexi synning is about. There seems to be a lot of confusion about it but flexi synning is not the same as using your syns on a weekly basis where you can have more syns on one day and make up for by having less on others.

Circes, is flexi synning fluctuating between the 5 and 15 ona day. That's what I understand it to be.

Definately agree - write it off. I have had to do a similar thing with yesterday..I am also going to up my exercise as well to balance things out.
We still have to have a life on this weightloss journey...

Circes, is flexi synning fluctuating between the 5 and 15 ona day. That's what I understand it to be.

Flexi synning is only to be used for special occasions. You decide before the day what syns you will allow yourself, (it might be 50, 20, 65, whatever) and you keep counting till you get to that amount. You still have your syns for the rest of the week.
It's really for things like birthdays, weddings etc. You probably won't lose weight the week you do the flexi syn day, but the idea is that you are still in control and are less likely to keep over eating because you have set yourself a limit.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I feel better today looking back over what I had yesterday, It really wasnt that bad but when your eating it knowing you can't afford it (syn wise) I think you feel much worst, I could of been really bad and had pudding and a few drinks and I didnt and for that im proud of myself for my will power :)
I have looked through everything I have from group about flexi syns and just dont really get it, I take it as above, you can have between 5 & 15 syns... I know my group leader doesnt approve of the saving up of syns to be blown all at once unless its a very special occassion, but I think it's just to stop people saving them all for weekends. So its back on track today and after I get back from my run Im going for a day out walking with the kids and dog so hopefully that will put everything right.

I never said it was :confused:

Flexi synning is only to be used for special occasions. You decide before the day what syns you will allow yourself, (it might be 50, 20, 65, whatever) and you keep counting till you get to that amount. You still have your syns for the rest of the week.
It's really for things like birthdays, weddings etc. You probably won't lose weight the week you do the flexi syn day, but the idea is that you are still in control and are less likely to keep over eating because you have set yourself a limit.

This is exactly what flexible syns are about. In a nut shell it's about having a day off but getting straight back on track the next day.

Whether flexible syns are useful for you is an entirely personal thing. Some people find they can have an evening off without counting and go completely back to normal the next day, so they don't need to count flexi syns to stay in control. But other people find it's really useful. And some people prefer to save their syns up all week for their event, rather than having the normal 5-15 the rest of the week - this can work and make it easier to lose that week, but it can leave you feeling deprived and wanting to give up.

Whether flexible syns are useful for you is an entirely personal thing. Some people find they can have an evening off without counting and go completely back to normal the next day, so they don't need to count flexi syns to stay in control. But other people find it's really useful. And some people prefer to save their syns up all week for their event, rather than having the normal 5-15 the rest of the week - this can work and make it easier to lose that week, but it can leave you feeling deprived and wanting to give up.

I have found them really useful and would write the day off as a flexi syn day even if it wasn't planned.

I never reduce my syns on other days and last week I had 4 flexi syn days (25 each day) and still lost 3lb while eating 15 syns on the other days.

I may pay for it this week but so far its looking good. Also, I may not be able to get away with it if I had less to lose but that is a high class problem which I'll deal with further down the line.

My consultant has always told us (and my previous consultant to) that we can use our syns in which ever way suits us best.

That could be sticking to 15 a day, 105 a week or having 5 a day for 6 days and 1 day of 75 as a treat. What ever floats your boat or works best for you is fine and I've always done that and I've always had positive weight losses.

Flexi syns are designed for those special occasions where you know in advance you are going to go over your syn allowance so you set yourself a limit and stick to it - be it 40, 80 or even 100. The idea is that you remain in control at all times but then the rest of the week you have your syns as you usually would. You may not lose weight that week but you've had a good time, remained in control and stuck to plan which sometimes is more important than losing weight.

I used to "write off" days I went overboard on syns but I found it was hindering my weight loss too much. In our group we're encouraged to use 105 as our weekly syn guideline and keep counting every syn we eat. I found this makes me feel in control all the time even if I have a big night out and I still lose weight. Also by counting my syns I've often found that I'd over estimated how many syns I'd had and there are so many syn free recipies that I never feel deprived on syn free days.

Everyone has to find what works best for them because splurge days happen to the best of us!

I have been sticking to 5 syns a day and have a good feed on a Saturday night. I haven't gone over 105 syns a week so far and have lost 11.5lbs in 4 weeks. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it - just move on and keep doing what you have been doing xx

Back