Exercise on LL

westiegirl

Gold Member
I was just wondering whether anyone had been exercising whilst on LL and how it has affected you?

Back in November I decided to join my local gym and signed up on a 12 month contract for £25. At the time the thought of doing a VLCD was furthest from my mind and I planned to do something like WW combined with exercise.

All the best laid plans and all that but at the time I was going through a relationship breakup and finally broke up with the guy 4 weeks ago. I retreated to the comfort of my home to lick my wounds and the diet and gym went out of the window. This was accompanied by a spell of introspection which has prompted me to want to complete the LL journey I didn't finish in 2006. I am now waiting confirmation of a start date from my local LLC.

I wasn't too bothered about the gym contract because my gym fee wasn't taken and I thought they'd lost the paperwork. However checking my bank today they've taken 2 payments - November and December so it looks like I'm committed.

I didn't do any exercise the first time round and I wonder whether people have done so and whether they felt ok doing it. I know the official LL line is to not change your exercise levels drastically when you go on a VLCD but I really don't want to waste the £25 per month.

I have done my induction sessions and now just need to set up a programme with the instructors. I wonder whether if I went along I might be better to just use the membership for toning rather than cardio in the weight loss stages of the programme and then build in more cardio once I move to RTM and maintenance. I am a bit worried about explaining LL to an intstructor (who would probably advocate healthy eating and exercise) and why I only want toning and no cardio exercises.

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated :D

No advice....just to say it's your money they're taking, so they should pay attention to your needs.

PS.... 2-1 so far :D (should be about 8-1!! How good's Shay Given been????)

EDIT: darn, too slow, kopcat said it better and in fewer words :p

Hmm thats a tough one.

You certainly don't want to be pushed into doing high cardio by the instructor when yes, it wouldn't do you many favours, at least to begin with.

Then again, your instructor should accept that you are doing a VLCD and allow you to do a programme that suits you, it's not their place to say what diet you should do, they are there to help you get what you want out of your gym membership; if they start telling you otherwise, let them know you don't need their opinion on your lifestyle! :)

No advice....just to say it's your money they're taking, so they should pay attention to your needs.

PS.... 2-1 so far :D (should be about 8-1!! How good's Shay Given been????)

Thanks Cate - good point - I forgot I'm actually the customer aren't I?

Darn Shay Given!!!! He's doing far too well for my liking. Hope he slips up in the second half!!!

EDIT: darn, too slow, kopcat said it better and in fewer words :p

Hmm thats a tough one.

You certainly don't want to be pushed into doing high cardio by the instructor when yes, it wouldn't do you many favours, at least to begin with.

Then again, your instructor should accept that you are doing a VLCD and allow you to do a programme that suits you, it's not their place to say what diet you should do, they are there to help you get what you want out of your gym membership; if they start telling you otherwise, let them know you don't need their opinion on your lifestyle! :)

Thanks Pete. I think that I guess in lots of ways I'm still a bit of wimp and sometimes find it hard to stand up for myself and say what I want.

I know with time and the accompanying weightloss that my confidence will increase though :D

Love the new avatar Pete

Hey, what's this - looking at the camera!
and smiling too..................
Looking great Pete, congratulations.
:king:

Ooopps

I didn't mention the E word - exercise.
Tried it once,didn't like it!
I know it's a necessary evil though.
Resolution for 2009?

I didn't mention the E word - exercise.
Tried it once,didn't like it!
I know it's a necessary evil though.
Resolution for 2009?

Did someone mention the evil E word ;)

I agree though it will have to become part of the routine, whether in a formal setting like the gym or not. First time round my dog lived with me and he got walked (almost) every morning as well as evenings. Now he lives with his family and my Mum and Dad so I will miss out on him being my motivation :eek:

Hiya

They should follow a code of ethics which basically tells them to advise and not judge. Like everyone has said - you're the customer and they have no right to impose their ideals on you.

Why don't you try classes instead of 1 on 1 gym sessions? Pilates, yoga and body balance are all good for toning without having to leap around like a loon whilst doing LL

I do spinning, body combat and body pump whilst on a VLCD but I was going to the gym anyway

Good luck and enjoy

xxx

Hiya

They should follow a code of ethics which basically tells them to advise and not judge. Like everyone has said - you're the customer and they have no right to impose their ideals on you.

Why don't you try classes instead of 1 on 1 gym sessions? Pilates, yoga and body balance are all good for toning without having to leap around like a loon whilst doing LL

I do spinning, body combat and body pump whilst on a VLCD but I was going to the gym anyway

Good luck and enjoy

xxx

Thanks Toots, I never even thought about toning classes. I will look on the net at the schedules. The good thing is that it is the council run gym and the card gives access to all gyms in the county so I should be able to find at least a couple of suitable ones.

I also have access to the local pool which is brand new and just reopened. I might start swimming (or Aquafit) once I feel a bit more comfy in my skin and can afford to buy a swimming costume!

Swimming would be excellent - I would go but I don't like the outfit :p. Aquafit is good as well - bliddy well harder than it looks tho

xx

Enjoy!!! I know that dragging yourself to the gym can be the last thing you want to do (well, it is for me when I've had a tough day at work) but it really is worth it once you get all those lovely endorphins working their magic :D

xx

Woo... I love the E word. I swear I'm a fit, active woman in an obese body!! I've had to give up my gym membership due to hip problems (And I'm only young!) - but am trying to incorporate at lease taking the dog for a 30 min "power walk" a day. Or a min of 4 times a week.

That, plus I have a good Yogalates DVD I've been going along with and my davina DVD, and WiiFit!

I've always wanted to run.. so have my couch to 5k schedule to start once I feel comfortable my hips can handle the wieght!

I'm planning to go to Tai Chi and also swimming - this and LL is all part of my new year's resolution! I think I am going to start swimming a week after starting LL so I have a week to get used to the lower calorie intake.

EmVeg - I'd love to do a 5k too - I think at the moment I would injure my knees with the extra weight I'm carrying but it is definitely part of my plan for 2009!

i go to tampolining classes twice a week, but im not doing them for the first 6 weeks of starting LL, i was struggling with the classes lately and i think its because of the rapid weight gain, so fingers crossed i can loose a stone or so and get back to it after the feb half term!!!!!

I would love to be fit. I remeber when i first lost all my weight I loved the very simple fact that i didnt sweat or get out of breath walking upstairs.

Sad to say that now thats not the case.

But you all have got me motivated - I am pledging now to buy a pedometer and walk my dog for 30mins everyday. She needs to lose weight too lol.

I am going to stick to that until my weighin on the 5th, then revise it.

i can't wait to get excercising properly again. I pay for the gym each month, but just end up swimming a couple of times. I have always hated running - but one of my aims when I get to goal is that I can do the race for life and run the whole 5k ( probably will be 2010)
daisy x

I had to cancel my gym membership. :( I got my notice at work, and that was the first thing skmmed off the top. I will still go occassionally on a pay as you go basis.

Its the swimming I am really going to miss.

LS = you'd be proud - I have been doing very good exercising while yu've been away!!! :)

Back