Exercise on LL

I was going to the gym 3 times a week when i was sticking to slimming world and I loved it. I get a right buzz!!! But it doesnt somehow feel right at the moment stuffing my face then going to the gym :(

My sister went to the gym while she was in abstinence. She said only to do cardio tho and no weights as your body doesn't have enough ready calories. I think she just didn't want to gain muscle weight as it weighs more than fat:8855:

Once my I am in ketosis and I feel strong enough I will go back to the gym. I'm the same it's a council gym so it's not too expensive and you can also get swimming in as well. I find there are a lot more normal people rather than posers that go to council gyms.

Is anyone else thinking of exercising while on LL?

I am also wanting to do the Race for Life 5k this year. I have walked it twice at this size/weight but i wold love to run it. I am also contemplating running the Leeds 10k in September. I cant run at the moment but am looking forward to the day I can.

ive been thinking about this excersize on LL, and i know its not recomended???? is that right or just a myth??

if i do go to the gym, will i loose any extra weight??? or will my weight loss be the same?? or hindered even??

thanks guys xx

I agree with LS, it's not that it's not allowed, just that LL recommend not changing your exercise levels dramatically when you start on the programme.

If you're already doing exercise they say it's ok to continue (unless of course they've changed this since I did it).

Slowly introducing a bit of exercise, maybe toning/strengthening like LS suggests, I'm sure will be fine.

I think above all you should listen to your body and stop if you feel unwell xxx

I am full of good intentions... started swimming a while back, but not been for aaages. Also had my gym induction about three weeks ago and haven't been back. I will do my best to get on top of it (including the odd class) in the new year - I hate resolutions, but it coincides with when life 'calms down' a bit. I pay about £75 per month, so it's a bit much to spend for the odd swim me thinks!! I'd love to start walking - I quite enjoy it... but my anxiety kicks in when I am away from 'facilities', so the idea of venturing off into the unknown - however attractive, is also pretty terrifying. Sob!
xx

If you are not used to exercising then start slowly, gentle walking every day, and build up the time you are doing it for to 40mins or so, then step the pace up a little so you are walking briskly.
I wouldnt try doing any hard cardio on a vlcd as you might feel lightheaded.
Weight training is important to keep your lean muscle mass as some of the weight that you lose will be muscle.

I havnt been to the gym about a month now.. was going a lot when on WW, 5 times a week, 3 x hr cardio, 2 x 1/2hr cardio 1/2 hr weights. Now I am on W8 I think I'll go for a walk the days that the weather permits, and also try for maybe 3 x a week an easy 1/2 hr or so of cardio and some weights.

The key is to listen to your body and take things slowly, and if you feel at all dizzy, stop and dont push it so far next time.

xx

interesting topic.....while you're on a vlcd (LL/CD/Lipotrim etc) you shouldn't really be doing mega aerobic workouts - ie stay away from the cardio !! the reason for this is because this type of exercise (ie cardio/aerobic) needs a steady supply of carbohydrates for fuel and you just won't have it :( cos you're on a vlcd....your body can't convert fat quickly enough to sustain this type of activity (ie cardio) and you may burn lean muscle mass instead :eek: not good !

the aim of the game is to preserve as much lean muscle mass as you can cos muscle burns more calories at rest than fat, muscle is also more dense than fat and takes up 'less room' - giving you a leaner look :)

preserving muscle mass will also mean that your RMR (resting metabolic rate) will be higher when you're at goal....so you will need more calories to maintain your new weight if muscle mass is higher than fat !

light resistance training (light weights etc), pilates, yoga, swimming, walking etc are OK while on vlcd but I wouldn't advise mega aerobic workouts to burn calories.....

hope that helps....have an interesting report somewhere - vlcd - aerobic vs resistance training - if anyone nurdy enough (like me....:eek:_ to be interested in the science-y bit.

Debz xx

Last edited:
I would be very interested in that Debz.

Just had another thought.. walkjogrun.co.uk is a great website.. its based on google earth with a map overlay on it. You can plot your routes etc and it works out the distance and how long it should take etc. I used it a lot in summer for planning walks round the estate here with little man in his buggy.

xx

I would be very interested in that Debz.

Just had another thought.. walkjogrun.co.uk is a great website.. its based on google earth with a map overlay on it. You can plot your routes etc and it works out the distance and how long it should take etc. I used it a lot in summer for planning walks round the estate here with little man in his buggy.

xx

No probs RainbowCookie.....hope this link works......

Effects of Resistance vs. Aerobic Training Combined With an 800 Calorie Liquid Diet on Lean Body Mass and Resting Metabolic Rate -- Bryner et al. 18 (2): 115 -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

Debz xx

Thanks for that, im skiving from doing my ou work at the moment, so will have a proper look at it later, looks very interesting though.

xx

Thanks for that, im skiving from doing my ou work at the moment, so will have a proper look at it later, looks very interesting though.

xx

I thought so :eek:

let me know what you think.....

Debz x

You thought so what? lol

That I was skiving?

Goodness... those OU police get everywhere now! :8855:

Had a proper read of it now, very interesting stuff. I wouldnt have thought there would be such a big difference in the amount of muscle lost without weight training.

Best we all get ourselves down the gym. :whacky068:

In summary, the addition of high volume aggressive resistance training to a VLCD was associated with a significant weight loss while preserving LBW and RMR. The preservation of LBW and RMR during the consumption of a VLCD did not occur with a standard treatment control aerobic training program. These results indicate that high volume resistance training may be beneficial for patients who use a VLCD to lose large amounts of weight at least for periods up to 12 weeks.

*Digs out weights, resistance band and medicine ball from garage*

You thought so what? lol

That I was skiving?

Goodness... those OU police get everywhere now! :8855:

NOOOOO....I thought it was interesting !! you and your OU studies are waaaaay outta my remit !

Debz x

Haha.. just as well really.. if you actually were the OU police id be in big trouble!!

Where did you find that? Were you looking for it in particular or was it one of those random finds? Any more odd scientific stuff? I love knowing how things like this work. (Note to self.. if you were this interested in business studies you might get a better mark!!)

xx

I'm being an idiot. What does OU mean!

Open University, sorry to confuse!!! xx

Back