Exercise without the big muscles?

Caloriefree

Okay heres my problem...i got really fit about two years ago and then turned around and got preggos and gained all my chub back....When i work out i always gain ALOT of muscle very quickly and i never really lose weight i gain it because of it...and then when i stop working out for a bit i lose it quick and it turns back into fat....i want to know some exercises i can do to lose the fat first then after im at my ideal weight i will build muscle...so is running the only way? Thanks!

If you get to your ideal weight, then start adding muscle, then you won't be your ideal weight any more.

When you say you want to add muscle, do you actually mean that you want a well defined physique (rather than you want to be a female bodybuilder?) Im just a bit confused my your wording as to what your goals are.

Can I ask what your training looked like when you were gaining a 'lot of muscle quickly'?

I've written a few posts here covering all the basics of exercise for fat loss, search them out and you'll have a wealth of information. The only other thing you'll need is a good nutritional plan.

And running is definately NOT the only way. Im a personal trainer and I help my client's lose fat every day. NONE of them do ANY running whatsoever.

i just mean tone my body once i lose all the weight. Like before i only gained muscle in places but didnt really lose the weight..its kinda hard to explain.

Don't worry, I've had at least 60 women say the exact same thing, and that its hard to explain :rolleyes:

Muscle weighs more than fat, but a pound of muscle takes up less space. Hence why so many women will take inches off their waists but still not lose much weight.

As Ive said in one of my posts before, this is a prime reason why weight isn't even worth looking at for most people. Its Bodyfat % or waist measurement in inches thats important.

But this muscle you gained, how did it repulse you so much? It must have been some excessive growth, thats why Id like to know what you were doing at the time.

I've known a lot of women who have had similar concerns, and most of the time they've grown 'too much muscle' usually on the front of thier thighs because they've been doing far too much traditional cardio exercise.

In a lot of cases, running and cycling for hours every week will cause your leg muscles to grow more than would lifting weights.

This is because it is high VOLUME that builds muscle, not Heavy weight.

I think you've just inspired me to write a new post about this....:flirt2:

No, its probably the biggest misconception in fitness.

If you know any bodybuilders, or people who follow traditional bodybuilders workouts (chest one day, back another day, legs and shoulders the next day etc.)
you'd see that the sets and reps they use are always 3 x 10 or something very similar.

Thats 30 reps per exercise, and the weight isnt very heavy. Bodybuilders look strong but most arnt because they've never lifted anything heavier than what they are comfortable lifting 10 times!

Strength training is usually around 5-6 reps per set. And, like it says on the tin, builds strength.
Have you ever noticed how at the Olympics, the women weight lifters can pull a 100kg barbell over their heads, yet they have slim figures and no 'bulky' muscle mass?

http://www.worldsportchicago.org/Portals/0/Sports/Weightlifting/FemaleWeightlifting.jpg

http://www.qsports.net/Melanie-Roach-Olympic-Trial.jpg

I won't say too much more at this point or I'll have nothing left for the full post. But, I'll leave you with this thought...

If you want to lower your body composition, then you train hard with intensity but lower your calorie intake.

However, if you want to build muscle, you train hard with intensity, but excessively increase your calorie intake.

Doesnt that tell you something? That exercise gives you the base, but its nutrition that becomes the deciding factor in which way your body composition goes...

maintaining muscle mass is essential to a healthy metabolism, especially for a dieter. screw anyone who thinks a little muscle on a woman isn't aesthetically pleasing. :mad:

Back