Exercise

I do hope that you take it up again its such great fun. If you still have your bike get out their the sun is shinning and its just so care free. Please do keep me posted as to how your getting on. There are some great cycling events and clubs in your area.

Thanks! Do these clubs take novice people because I'm sure that I will have to start at the very beginning again until I lose some of this weight?

I used to get on my bike and hours later not know where I was! LOL I used to ride with the 'boys' cause I couldn't get any of my female friends into it but its such a great feeling being out in the woods and challenging myself on certain trails.

I still have my mountain bike and have always kept it in good condition because I paid good money for it years ago but I have been tempted to buy a new one.

Maybe I'll make that one of my goals that once I lose all the weight to treat myself to a new bike but use my old one until I get to my desired weight. :) Geez, with the money that I would be saving not buying junk or takeaways I'm sure that I will have enough for a really great bike! LOL

Thanks! Do these clubs take novice people because I'm sure that I will have to start at the very beginning again until I lose some of this weight?

I used to get on my bike and hours later not know where I was! LOL I used to ride with the 'boys' cause I couldn't get any of my female friends into it but its such a great feeling being out in the woods and challenging myself on certain trails.

I still have my mountain bike and have always kept it in good condition because I paid good money for it years ago but I have been tempted to buy a new one.

Maybe I'll make that one of my goals that once I lose all the weight to treat myself to a new bike but use my old one until I get to my desired weight. :) Geez, with the money that I would be saving not buying junk or takeaways I'm sure that I will have enough for a really great bike! LOL

Fantastic idea! why don't you start saving now - say, if it's a Friday night and you would usualy have a chinese or whatever, stick the money in a jar.. Then buy a new bike! :D

LittleMissMuffet how I wished you lived near me oh for some female company to ride with. I go out like you and get lost but you have to be so careful riding on your own in woods and country lanes these days.Clubs near you,
this is the link to British Cycling on their home page is a lot of links on the left hand side which one says find clubs near you click on that and it gives you a list of clubs
British Cycling Home Page

British cycling also have what they call everyday cycling which may be of more interest to you.
Everyday Cycling Home Page

This is a link to the xc racer web which has some brilliant up to date stuff. xcracer.com - cross country mountain bike racing in the uk

I wouldnt worry about your weight just go out and have fun on your bike the rest will follow.
I did wonder about putting some sort of cycling challenge up on here any thoughts on that about perhaps clocking up our mileage just for fun. Making it all relevant to different abilities.

Oooooh yeah, I like the idea of a cycling challenge Sallies!

Great stuff anyone else up for it and any ideas. Im thinking like recording mileage for x number of weeks and see how we all do. Perhaps have different goals. Someone just starting perhaps build up to 5 miles or someone like me could aim for 50 miles. we could make the goals daily, weekly or monthly. Bring on some ideas and lets get started. It would be great to see what the weight losses are as mine are really slow now and i know sometimes it seems like it dosnt move but when i do my bmi with my omron body fat monitor im losing fat quite fast.
Look forward to hearing from all the budding cyclist.:thinking2: :bliss:

I do cycling with a difference...Spinning class I go about five times a week and although I really did think I was going to die (or maybe just faint) the difference in my cardio fitness is amazing...I have been doing the classes for 2 years now and actually feel guilty if I don't go!! You do the class in a group to loud pumping music disco lights etc and in it you do hill climbs, sprints, "road racing" squats (perfect for hams and glutes) and so much more anyone into cycling should give it a go!!!

Lucie
xxx

Ps a 45 minute class for me personally burns 700kcal Its very high intensity so be careful if you have never done it before and are on a low calorie diet like this...
xxLuciexx

Yea I agree, spinning is great sadly no good for me and my training regime. The reason is the intensity is too high to maintain all year around no rest and recovery time and when your racing its time spent out on the bike that is needed, with training cycles built in. I could probably do it once a week throughout the summer. To be honest id sooner be out in the forest or training on the road. Deffo a good idea for people to try though.
How have you coped with the intense workout and the cd?

I was wondering if anyone could give me an answer! I started back on CD 2 weeks ago to lose the last 21 lbs. I haven't managed to ss for more than 2 days at a time, but when I have eaten it hasn't been 'bad' food, I have been having some fruit and 'healthy' cereal.

Initially the weight came off really well, 6lbs in week 1. However, this morning I have weighed myself and I seem to have put 3lbs back on!

I started running 8 weeks ago and now I run 3 - 4 times a week, doing aprox 3 miles each run. I also go to the gym on a Saturday morning and use the treadmill and weights etc.
I don't want to reduce my running as I have a 5km race in 8 weeks which I really want to be able to run the whole way.

I did find that on the days that I ss'd it was more difficult to run, which is why I had healthy carbs. I was wondering if the weight gain might be water retention, or my body just doing something mad (it likes to do that to me on a regular basis!!). I was also wondering if I should try to ss even if it means cutting back on the running, but I really don't want to lose the fitness that I have worked so hard to build up.

Thanks so much for any advice that you may have.

Dawn

I mountain bike race and losing weight is quite difficult through the race season. My cc and I work through trial and error. When I cycled out to him 7 miles and got weighed id gained 2lbs and then it came off as soon as i rested we recon it was fluid retention in the ppumped up muscle. I have not been able to do ss more than the first 3 weeks and i have been on a modified 790 since. I have just over a stone to lose and am finding it sooo hard now we are in the race season. Im in a dilema myself trying to find the best thing to do. I do know that you need to put the carbs and protein in to be able to perform. The days ive really cut back ive been hungry poor recovery and muscle aches. Im afraid im still experementing so I have no full answers.

I have been fine on it but I didn't do it until the third week of the diet and have cut down from doing it five days a week to just 2 or 3 times. I do go swimming, pilates and gym work and also aerobic with hand weights to try and tone up....I try and time it so I have half a shake or soup before I go and half after.....Must admit I was worried I wouldn't have the energy but I have been fine with it and am glad to be back into it.
I mix up my exercise and although I do something everyday I alternate it....swimming, pilates, gym, weights, aerobics.....I have more energy than I have had in a long time...

Thanks for the reply, i think its probably because I spend this time of the year in high intensity low volume. ah well.
How is your weight loss going I find im burning fat off but not losing a lot on on the scales. I have about a stone to go now. What about you thats if you dont mind me being nosy. It allways interesting to find out how other people cope. Oh and im 52 years young so i think age has a lot to do with it.

Back