Exercise

haley

I have heard that doing more exercise can slow your weight loss. Could this be true? Surely not!

Yes and no. The weight loss can stall if there is TOO much exercise and too much muscle tearing. When there is damage to the muscle (that ache you get when you feel like you can't move) - the body retains water to repair it. On the scales this translates no movement down or even a GAIN! People usually freak out a little bit- even though actual fat will have been lost.
With regular exercise this effect will diminish because the body gets used to the activity and movement. Though the weight loss may be much more obvious in INCHES rather than those persky LBS! ;)

The main thing is to be calm about it - too much is not advised, listen to your body. Start off gently and build up your strength. Exercise is great and really sets you up for LONG TERM maintenance! :D

Hi Haley, I am a keen exerciser and got caught out the last time on LLL trying to keep up with my usual fitness regime. I intend to slow things right down (to a stop if necessary for the interim) and exercise very much on how I feel. I've been looking for an excuse though not to go to the gym recently as i'm bit fed up with it at mo and have arthritis in my hip which is another reason for me to keep my weight down. My plan is for the next week or so, very gentle cv if I feel like it. Then gradually increase the intensity over time but based very much on how I feel. Plan to speak to a knowledgable Body Builder friend about it too for advice but reckon i'll be on this website more than anything. Plan to keep a check on my bodyfat percentages as well as my weight loss to see what exactly is happening :)

In all honesty I've found that I had to slow right down too, I'm listening to what my body is telling me and it told me that it can't handle those long intensive workouts I did before (powered by lots of carbs unfortunately...).

I still intend to go and do as much as I can though, get my strength up! :) But right now I have to make a choice based on the weather - if it's nice and sunny I'll choose to go for a walk or do some gardening! I just don't have the energy to do both - gym AND walk/garden... If it's raining - gym it is! :D BUT there are no excuses to sit at home and do nothing! No sitting allowed. :)

Back