Exercising during pregnancy?

Rayven

Addicted to Minimins!
I'm getting really, really, really bored with sitting around during this pregnancy. I know swimming and walking are ok during pregnancy but i really don't feel comfortable getting into a cozzy and jumping into a pool (especially as its the summer hols and the place will be jam packed full of kids!) I have a exercise bike and a mini stepper at home though and was wondering whether its ok to use them? I'm currently about half way through the pregnancy & i'm not suggesting spending hours a day on them but the thought of spending the next 20 weeks doing nothing exercise wise except lift the remote control up and press a button is driving me mad!

I would check with your doctor at your next visit. Exercise bikes are generally not recommended however lots of pregnant ladies go the gym if they have gone consistently before they were pregnant....I was going for about 6 months before I got pregnant but my doctor just recommended walking.....better to be safe and check what your doc think....

thanks for the reply. I've actually just been on the nhs website & got some info that might be handy for other expectant mums
If you're enjoying a normal, healthy pregnancy, it's a good idea to carry on doing some exercise, providing that you're not undertaking a strenuous new regime. However, you should check with your GP, or midwife, that exercising won't pose a risk for your specific medical situation.
Cycling is a good activity to do while pregnant, but it isn't usually recommended after the second trimester of pregnancy (after 26 weeks) due to the risk of falls. However, you can use an exercise bike for as long as you like.

i used my exercise bike up until i was about 30+ weeks. You could also try walking up and down your stairs as this is good exercise and also helps baby get into good position for birth ;)

Thanks for posting that advice.

Julie - did excerise help you with weight gain - just curious as I stopped (more or less) once I found out I was pregnant and gain 2 stone approx.

Back