Exercising on Sole Source

phatbird

Hia all

Am at work and was talking to a colleague about Cambridge. The colleague was thinking of doing Cambridge but was concerned that she may not be able to exercise on it. I exaplained that I ran 2 miles last night and did yoga on Sunday. At this point, a woman I do not know who was sitting in another bank of desks nearby turned round and said "thats dangerous and you will be losing lean muscle if you do that".

I was fuming, I felt it very rude for this woman to butt in on my conversation. I gave her evils, of course, and said that we did add extra protein in on the diet every 3 weeks (add a meal) to ensure that we kept our muscle tissue in shape.

Would you be cheesed off too or am I over reacting?

Do you think it is dangerous me carrying on with my exercise rountine whilst on Cambridge.

Thanks everyone.

PB

I exercised all the way through, as long as your do some form of resistance exercises with light weights you will not lose lean muscle. I lessened the amount of cardio I did and upped the weights and I went swimming. I'm already quite muscly to begin with and I'd have really noticed if I was losing lean muscle - I didn't!

I can't believe someone had the audacity to butt in on your converstaion.

I believe current accepted thinking is that you shouldn't increase the amount of excercise you are doing during the first few weeks of a VLCD, but you can certainly keep it the same. Later on in the diet when your body has adapted somewhat to the lack of calories upping the excercise in stages shouldn't be a problem.

Rude though your colleague was she is kind of right in that too much cardio while you are SS-ing is not a good idea as you will lose lean tissue as well as fat. However, some cardio is fine and apparently increasing resistance excercise (weights, toning, core stability etc) is a good thing.

Here's a scientific study that pretty much backs that up:

Effects of Resistance vs. Aerobic Training Combined With an 800 Calorie Liquid Diet on Lean Body Mass and Resting Metabolic Rate -- Bryner et al. 18 (2): 115 -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

Thanks ladies. I usually run 2 miles 3 x a week and do not really want to stop this.

I also go yoga and strenght training on the wii fit (which works as boy do I ache for days after) and some small weights for my arms. None of this is new.

So, I suppose the person in question was sort of right. But rude with it, what does she care if I lose muscle tissue haha.

Thanks for your comments.

PB

Woww, can I say, well done for doing the running.. I've wanted to do that, but currently feel too heavy and top heavy if you get my meaning. But going back to a new gym this eve and will build up to a running on treadmill. xx

Rude though your colleague was she is kind of right in that too much cardio while you are SS-ing is not a good idea as you will lose lean tissue as well as fat. However, some cardio is fine and apparently increasing resistance excercise (weights, toning, core stability etc) is a good thing.[/SIZE]

Yes :) Too much cardio on a VLCD can reduce lean mass and so cause a slowing of the metabolism. Resistance doesn't do this. In fact it helps retain lean mass when on a VLCD :)

Smashing, then I am happy with doing a combination of both :)

Thanks y'all.

PB

Back