exercising with a cold

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
does anyone know, if you have a heavy cold, is it safe to exercise.

I have heard that it is bad for your heart.

Yes it is, the heart is also a muscle and when you work out it is put under more strain. While your body is fighting illness it can't cope with a work out too

About.Com Sports Medicine says:

The average adult has two to three upper respiratory infections each year. Many athletes wonder if they should continue their training routine when sick. While research is limited, most experts recommend that if your symptoms are above the neck and you have no fever, exercise is probably safe. Intensive exercise should be postponed until a few days after the symptoms have gone away. However, if there are symptoms or signs of the flu, such as fever, extreme tiredness, muscle aches, swollen lymph glands, then at least two weeks should probably be allowed before you resume intensive training.
Sounds sensible to me. I would, however, be very careful about transmitting germs, if you're working out in a gym, make sure and clean off any machines you use so you don't infect anyone else!

no, just wondering if when i am feeling better (just have a cold) if it was safe to go back to my Davina work out

A good rule of thumb is if it is above the neck ie runny nose, headache it is fine to work out. If it is below the neck ie chesty cough, muscle aches, shivers then rest until well.

A good rule of thumb is if it is above the neck ie runny nose, headache it is fine to work out. If it is below the neck ie chesty cough, muscle aches, shivers then rest until well.

Just what I was going to say...

Back