Expexting too much

munchie11

Hi

Year before last I done slimming world with amazing results (9lbs in the first 2 weeks). Ended nearly putting back on a year later. So me and a friend have started using a phone app called my fitness as a calorie counter and walking, classes and gym.

After 2 weeks have lost 4.5lbs given that I never exercised with sw and lost 9 and I'm practically doing some form if exercise a day. Am I expecting too much weight loss???

Thanks

Hi Munchie, in a word Yes! Don't fret losing weight this way is longer BUT it stays off longer!! And muscle weighs so that could also be affecting your weight loss in a good way!! Are you taking measurements? Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Am I expecting too much weight loss???

Depends. You didn't say how much weight-loss you're expecting. You just said the results you got on a different kind of diet. Are you expecting the same results now? Do you weigh the same at the start of *this* diet as you did at the start of *that* one? Bigger people will lose more weight faster (generally). Are you doing the same amount of exercise and do you have the same lifestyle? All of these things, including your beliefs about what is possible and your emotional health and life will affect your weight-loss.

I think a more important question than 'are you expecting too much', is 'what do you do when you don't get the results you thought you would'? Reassess your expectations? Or hit yourself over the head and say 'this isn't working!'

:)

Calorie counting is a long-term solution to being overweight. It retrains you to think about food in a healthy way and your body comes back into balance, more naturally. If you're expecting to lose weight at the same rate as you would with some fad diet then yes I think you're expecting too much. 4.5lbs in 2 weeks is quite normal with calorie counting. I lost 1.9lbs in my first week and 2.8lbs in my second week - a total of 4.7lbs. And, while you're saying you got 'amazing results' with that other diet - put in perspective. You yourself said you put all the weight back on, which means that other diet DIDN'T retrain you to think and feel about food more healthily. Which is why you're back here. If you look at the big picture, the results you got *weren't* amazing because the weight came off and then went back on again. What is amazing is losing weight and then KEEPING it off. Calorie counting will make that easier to do for you. Now THAT'S amazing.

Thanks for the replies, just so let you know when on slimming world I stuck to the plan without exercise and gym. I did start off heavier but not too much heavier.

Yes perhaps I should reassess my expectations and looking to what is realistic when calorie counting and exercise.

Perhaps like the first reply said it might be to do with muscle and today I will measure myself instead of weight alone. x

I have previously done slimming world and im down 42lbs. I started training for a boxing fight last summer, during that time I didnt lose a massive amount of weight like I had previouly done. However I did lose inches and for the first time I actually went down a dress size.. Try not to get to caught up on what the scales say and instead measure yourself.. good luck x

To be honest I'm feeling exactly the same...you see results do much quicker on slimming world! To be fair I wasn't going to stick to that long term though!

Depends. You didn't say how much weight-loss you're expecting. You just said the results you got on a different kind of diet. Are you expecting the same results now? Do you weigh the same at the start of *this* diet as you did at the start of *that* one? Bigger people will lose more weight faster (generally). Are you doing the same amount of exercise and do you have the same lifestyle? All of these things, including your beliefs about what is possible and your emotional health and life will affect your weight-loss.

I think a more important question than 'are you expecting too much', is 'what do you do when you don't get the results you thought you would'? Reassess your expectations? Or hit yourself over the head and say 'this isn't working!'

:)

Calorie counting is a long-term solution to being overweight. It retrains you to think about food in a healthy way and your body comes back into balance, more naturally. If you're expecting to lose weight at the same rate as you would with some fad diet then yes I think you're expecting too much. 4.5lbs in 2 weeks is quite normal with calorie counting. I lost 1.9lbs in my first week and 2.8lbs in my second week - a total of 4.7lbs. And, while you're saying you got 'amazing results' with that other diet - put in perspective. You yourself said you put all the weight back on, which means that other diet DIDN'T retrain you to think and feel about food more healthily. Which is why you're back here. If you look at the big picture, the results you got *weren't* amazing because the weight came off and then went back on again. What is amazing is losing weight and then KEEPING it off. Calorie counting will make that easier to do for you. Now THAT'S amazing.

Totally agree, 13 years ago I lost a load of weight quickly with sw it's a fab healthy plan and it works but the weight came back fast.. Because mentally nothing had changed.. I was on a DIET!!
Calorie counting doesn't feel like that as no food is a sin. So eat less move more and let your body do the maths. It's just more lifestyle friendly and the results do happen. If you exercise they hopefully happen a bit quicker. Stick with it, it's worth it xx

Its interesting to see so many peoples opinion of slimming world. I thought it was supposed to be a healthy way of eating, but I guess ultimately it is a diet and they dont work.

Slimming world is good and I'm not dis-ing the diet as I nearly lost 3 stone but its now only maybe half a stone.

With this I'm thinking more of what I put in my mouth and how it affects the figures than being allowed or not allowed.

I just thought that exercising would speed things up but I spoke to someone today who had an interesting outlook on it. He said your body is in weight gain mode, you need to stop and put it into weight loss mode and because it is coming off it means its going in the right direction, after this chat I do feel more positive.

Back