expired passport/id question - anyone work for British Midlands

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I've just realised my passport expired last August and I'm travelling from London to Aberdeen with British Midlands at Easter.

The only other ID I have is my provisional (learner) licence. Do you think I'll be able to use this as ID to travel?

Please help as think I'm too late to get new passport.

I won't be checking in a bag just hand luggage as going for 1 night only.

From their website....

A passport is not required for travel between Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands. It should be noted that immigration controls are enforced in the Republic of Ireland for customers who are not British or Irish citizens, who are required to carry a valid travel document when arriving from Great Britain. However, British or Irish citizens travelling with bmi (including unaccompanied children) are required to bring either a passport or some form of acceptable photographic identification when travelling between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

Acceptable forms of photographic ID include:
  • Valid passport
  • Valid photographic driver's licence
  • Valid photographic EU/EEA or Swiss national identity card
  • Valid armed forces identity card
  • Valid police warrant card/badge
  • Valid airport employees security identity pass
  • Valid business photographic ID (Dublin only)
I think you are best to sort your passport - it is not too late to get one for Easter. You can do emergency same day or same week renewals!

From their website....

A passport is not required for travel between Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands. It should be noted that immigration controls are enforced in the Republic of Ireland for customers who are not British or Irish citizens, who are required to carry a valid travel document when arriving from Great Britain. However, British or Irish citizens travelling with bmi (including unaccompanied children) are required to bring either a passport or some form of acceptable photographic identification when travelling between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

Acceptable forms of photographic ID include:
  • Valid passport
  • Valid photographic driver's licence
  • Valid photographic EU/EEA or Swiss national identity card
  • Valid armed forces identity card
  • Valid police warrant card/badge
  • Valid airport employees security identity pass
  • Valid business photographic ID (Dublin only)
I think you are best to sort your passport - it is not too late to get one for Easter. You can do emergency same day or same week renewals!

Thanks I'll need to get in touch with the passport office then (I've an Irish passport) & see how long it will take & how much it costs to express it.

It costs an extra £8.50 for the check and send service which guarantees it back within 2 weeks.

However, from reading the blurb above, I don't think you need a passport or photographic ID. (unless I've read it wrong?)

If you are anywhere near the passport offices you can go in person & get it done, it might be worth checking how long it would take to alo renew your provisional DL as that may be quicker than the passport.

It costs an extra £8.50 for the check and send service which guarantees it back within 2 weeks.

However, from reading the blurb above, I don't think you need a passport or photographic ID. (unless I've read it wrong?)

You do have to have some form of valid photographic ID to travel air in the UK, they won't check you in if you do not have it

I just spoke to the passport office & explained & she has assured me that the provisional licence & passport will be fine with BM she said the only problem is Ryan Air.

but they both have to be valid don't they? I don't think they will take expired passports or driving licences.

but they both have to be valid don't they? I don't think they will take expired passports or driving licences.

I told her the passport was expired & that I only had a provisional licence (which is valid) & she said for a domestic flight this was absolutely fine. She said that the only airline that I would've had a problem with would be Ryanair.

As its an Irish passport they can't tell me how long it will take to renew.

I'm not sure whether to risk it or not.

I told her the passport was expired & that I only had a provisional licence (which is valid) & she said for a domestic flight this was absolutely fine. She said that the only airline that I would've had a problem with would be Ryanair.

As its an Irish passport they can't tell me how long it will take to renew.

I'm not sure whether to risk it or not.

I would call BMI & check, I thought that the airport security would not let you board without valid ID

best to get your passport renewed - more excuses for holidays :D xxx

I wish but with baby bear no. 2 on the way holidays are out the window although may get a trip to Ireland in the summer to see my family.

Spoke to British Midlands about the provisional licence they said it was fine as long as issued by government

Back