Extra Help For Xenical Starters

bunny_hops

Violet is shrinking
There is already a lot of good information out there for new starters, but sometimes people still aren't very clear, so I though I'd add some extra information that may help.​

What Is Xenical And How Does It Work?
Xenical is a prescriptive drug that helps people to loose weight. There are weight loss drugs out there that you may’ve heard of that work via your brain or central nervous system to suppress your appetite or speed up your metabolism, Xenical doesn’t do this.
Xenical works in your digestive system to block one third of the fat that you eat from being digested.

Enzymes in your digestive system help to break down the fat you eat, when taken with meals, Xenical with grab hold of those enzymes and block them from breaking down the fat. The undigested fat is removed via your bowel movements. In essence, Xenical will stop a third of all the fat you eat per meal from being absorbed into your body.

Xenical comes with side effects, not everyone will experience them, they include..

• Oily spotting (uncontrolled anal oil seepage)
  • Abdominal pain (stomach pain) or discomfort
  • Gas with a small amount of oil or stool
  • Fecal urgency (an urgent but controlled need to have a bowel movement)
  • Fatty or oily stool
  • Oily evacuation (bowel movements of just oil, without stool)
  • Increased frequency of bowel movements
  • Nausea
  • Uncontrolled, spontaneous bowel movements (known as fecal incontinence)
Like any other diet plan, be it Weight Watchers or Slimming World, there are rules to taking Xenical, if you break these rules, then the chances of you getting some bowel problems are quite high.. in the world of Xenical users, we call this ‘getting tango’d ‘ or ‘been hit by the tango man’ (more about the rules after)

Other more common side efftects include
  • Headache
  • Common cold
  • Tiredness
  • Anxiety
These common side effects usually pass within the first week or so.

images

The 5g/15g rule

Like all diets there are rules and Xenical isn’t an exception. By following the rules you will give yourself the best chance for good weight loss (saying that, you can still plateau and put weight on) and to avoid the nasty side effects, You should eat no more than 5grams of fat per 100grams, sounds confusing?..it’s not really.

You’ll be amazed at what you can have, and there’s always a low fat alternative. You should also stick to no more than 15grams of fat per meal..still sounds daunting and confusing, fear not.. once you understand the rule, it comes second nature. It took me a good few hours to get my head around this rule, and several emails to a fellow Xenical user before i fully understood what I should be eating, to help you understand what you should be looking for, I’ve included a nutritional label. (yes, understanding those tables, can seem a nightmare in itself, but you only need to look in one place)

images

By looking at the chart, you can follow the fat along until you come to the per 100g column (this is the first part of the rule,the 5grule) it states that there is 17.4g’s per 100g, this doesn’t fit in with the rule, and therefore can’t be used for a meal. (Please note the per serving column, as this says 0.6g’s, this is where you could get caught out, ignore what’s in this column, always look for the per 100g)

Now, take a look at another table

images

Using the same method as before, locate the fat on the left of the table,follow along to the per 100g column and you will see that is says 4.9g, this is within the rules of Xenical, and that’s the 5g rule, to make sure you have no more than 15g’s per meal, you can see that this meal is 7.4g per serving, you have a little over 7gs of fat left for this meal, which can include whatever you like as long as you always follow the 5g rule.

Food To Stay Away From

Not all foods with cause the same reaction with everyone, it's all about trial and error really. The main culprits are eggs, mainly the yolks. Fish especially oily fish. Sometimes baked beans have caused problems for some people and cheese.

Take Aways And Eating Out

Take aways can still be enjoyed, but you just have to make the right choices. Chinese foods can be greasy and oily but rice and noodles, chinese veg, chow meins are good choices, staying clear of anything duck related.
Eating out is fine too, again making the right choices. Pizza we all love, but it really doesn't mix well with Xenical.​

If you have a night out planned and don't want to risk any explosions and a visit from Mr Tango then it's best to stop taking the Xenical 3 days before you plan to go out, this way you shouldn't have a reaction. Xenical can be taken with you while you're on holiday (that's if you want to) just make sure you apply the rules on holiday. (I like to think that if you're going to enjoy a holiday, then make the most of it, and go without the Xenical)​

The Importance Of Water

Everyone should drink 2-3 litres a day as standard, however, people who diet and do exercise need extra, the amount depends on your height, weight, sex, where you live, alititude.

A good estimate is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that number in half. That gives you the number of ounces of water per day that you need to drink. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should drink at least 80 ounces of water per day. If you exercise you should drink another 8 ounce glass of water for every 20 minutes you are active. If you drink coffee or alcohol, you should drink at least an equal amount of water. If you live in an arid climate, you should add another 2 servings per day. As you can see, your daily need for water can add up to quite a lot.​

The link below will take you to a water calculator, with extra information.​

Sweets And Sugar

If you’re anything like me, you love sugary foods and sweets. The downside to Xenical is that sweets are allowed!! Ok, they fit in with the Xenical rules, there is no fat in sweets, sounds mad?, but it’s true. Can you become addicted to sugary foods?….errr yes….I’m living proof of that!

So why do we love sugar? Research suggests that when we eat sugary foods, the brain releases natural feel good chemicals, dopamine, causing dependency..the same process with addictive drugs. Sugary foods also gives a fast energy kick by raising the blood sugar quickly and then drops just as dramatically. Having low blood sugar can lead to sugar cravings, and so the cycle continues, it’s lethal!

Being addicted to sugar has it’s consequences. Long term bingeing leads to obesity, diabetes, tooth decay, gum diseases and can make you really windy..parp! The best way to get to beat the sugar is to manage our glucose levels, by eating small meals, made up of protein, complex carbs and vegetables and avoiding refined carbs, like white bread, white rice and pasta, as these have the same effect as refined sugar, giving you an surge of energy that lives you crashing back down again.

Beware of hidden sugars! It’s important to read your labels. On processed foods sugar is displayed as ’carbohydrates, of which sugars’. A figure of 15g or more more 100g is considered high, less than 5g per 100g is considered low. Check the ingredients list, if sugar is at the top, the greater the portion of sugar there is the food. Also watch out for added sugars, glucose, sucrose, fructose, corn syrup.

Exercise Before Or After Food

Ever wondered if you should exercise before or after food?…Well here’s the answer..

Both, and the reason why?

Back in the old days, people thought they should train on an empty stomach in order to burn more fat, but that has turned out to be FALSE. Your body needs some glucose (blood sugar) for fuel in addition to what it can use from fat stores when you’re working out. If you don’t have any blood sugar available, your body will eat the muscles’ glycogen, or stored glucose. Low blood sugar will also make you tired and sluggish during your training session. For these reasons, it’s best you eat something 45 minutes to an hour before exercising — you’ll have more energy and endurance to work harder, burn more calories, and improve your muscle tone.
After training, during a period known as the golden hour (45 to 60 minutes after a workout), muscles absorb the most nutrients, and glycogen is replaced the most efficiently. You don’t have to have a huge meal — just a little something that contains both protein and carbs will give the best results.

Useful Tools, Calculators Bits Of Fun

Ideal weight Ideal Weight Calculator

Weight conversions Weight Converter

A good site to track your food, weight and help you find out calories of food is my fitness pal. A lot if Minis members use this site along with their diets and food diaries.

Any extra information that I think may be helpful I'll add in time.

:family2::family2::family2:​

Last edited:
i thought i knew much of it but it was great to read it again, very well explained

Thanks for the info , my doctor didn't explain it to me she just sent me away .I may lose some weight now i know what to do .

great info! thank you :)

The Dr didn't tell me anything either, if it wasn't for finding Minis I wouldn't have known what to do and I imagine I'd have been tango'd all the time too.

I'll update this with any extra info, and you add things too :)

Great info bunny esp the part that reads should we eat before or after food? I
Definately agree with you that we should do both :) yummy ;)

Unfortunately I think you meant exercise :( not so good ;(

Ah well

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

i think that xenical is a great weight loss aid!.. i wonder just how many people fail using this purely because of lack of information!.. im also fairly sure that doctors are terrible at explaining, i know mine was.. all he said was dont eat to much fat, it'll make you squirt! "or words to that effect"... im also sure that if it weren't for this site, and its vast knowledge and experiences i too would have failed by now!.. why cant they just have a booklet to accompany these tablets???.. top thread bunny hops!.....x

Great info bunny esp the part that reads should we eat before or after food? I
Definately agree with you that we should do both :) yummy ;)

Unfortunately I think you meant exercise :( not so good ;(

Ah well

Hi Kat...ooh yes..well spotted ;) It's funny but I seem to have developed 'diet brain' a bit like pregnancy brain, I'm doing all sorts of weird stuff just lately :eek:

i think that xenical is a great weight loss aid!.. i wonder just how many people fail using this purely because of lack of information!.. im also fairly sure that doctors are terrible at explaining, i know mine was.. all he said was dont eat to much fat, it'll make you squirt! "or words to that effect"... im also sure that if it weren't for this site, and its vast knowledge and experiences i too would have failed by now!.. why cant they just have a booklet to accompany these tablets???.. top thread bunny hops!.....x

Hi Sam, I often wonder that too, but I think it's because the GP's don't know this information themselves.

Thank you for all the advice my doctor was not very great with what to do while on these tablets hence when i was searching the net till i found this site which has been a god send.
Ive just registered with my fitness pal and its great. thank you for all the help

My doc was ok but the pharmacist was brilliant when I picked up my first lot

Thought I'd boump this, as there seems to be a few new starters :)

Thanks Bunny hops for the info, I have been on Xenical for just over 2 months 1st month lost 12lbs but got weighed fri and in 4 wks only lost 3lbs, have you or anyone else experienced a slow down on Xenical? really frustared was so gd!!!x

I am worried about the same problem! First month managed to lose 9 1/2 pounds which the doctor was really please with! Now two weeks in to my 2nd month on xenical I've only shifted a pound :( don't understand as I am not doing anything different to what I did on first month! X

Yep, it happens to us all! It's not just Xenical but the actual dieting process, and how so many things can effect our weights, water, bloating, hormones, exercise, muscles just to name a few... Dieting is not fun lol!

The average weight loss is 1-2lbs per week, that's a healthy loss. Xenical isn't a magic pill, it's there to boost by just a 1lb. If you're sticking to the rules, watching what you're you eating then the weight will come off, it's not easy getting rid of fat, and your body doesn't like getting rid of it, it's hard work but it will happen, you just have to keep going.

It helps to write down what you're eating, keep an eye on your calories, eating too low won't help, keep an eye on your carbs too, carbs are a nightmare food group if you can't get them off, so maybe have a look at that, and add some proteins if you can.

You may find that Green Tea can help you too :)

Hi, i'm going to the docs today to try to get xenical in the hope that it will help me stop bingeing on junk food, so i just wanted to say thanks for the information

Gmburley at least Im not alone!!! Im doing exactly the same as the first month too. Its so frustrating isnt it??
Thanks bunny hops for the info and encouragement to carry on, I do write down what I eat its a habit after years on WW!!! Might look into the green tea also. x

Bump

Thanks! Great info ..

Great info and a lot better explained then my thread , i posted mine after id lost 5 stone so was still on a learning curve myself. this thread is good and explanative. x

Back