extra lean mince

I think as long as it says it's extra lean on the pack then it's free

What fat content in extra lean mince would be free on the original plan

Depends on the meat-as far as I'm aware, some of the extra lean turkey mince in synful, and beef has to be under 5% i think to qualify! If you use the search facility I'm 99% certain this has been asked, and subsequently answered before x

I am also under the impression that beef has to be under 5% fat for it to count as free too, but I cant remember where I saw it on the SW site so cant post for definite!

Wow I didn't know. I'm gonna check my packs in the morning. I just buy it if it says extra lean. How misleading :(

Some packs will say typically less than 5% fat, otherwise you have to check that the fat grams in 100g is less than 5. I'm not sure if it matters whether it's as sold or cooked though

Until recently Morrisons beef mince said extra lean but when you looked at the nutritional info it was 7% fat and so not syn free. I believe that is being changed to 5% just now though xx

And unfortunately not all turkey mince is free even if less than 5% fat - asda is only 3% but is still synned :(

Until recently Morrisons beef mince said extra lean but when you looked at the nutritional info it was 7% fat and so not syn free. I believe that is being changed to 5% just now though xx

And unfortunately not all turkey mince is free even if less than 5% fat - asda is only 3% but is still synned :(

What? Really?

Is it because its horse meat? Lol x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Neigh neigh and thrice neigh lol

Glad I am vegetarian! But seriously there is no legislation that says extra lean has to be a certain % fat ;)

oooh how interesting, mine say typically less than 5%!! I'm still happy at the zero amount of fat drainage i get off nearly every single pack I cook compared to the fat ridden one I drain for my husband! YUCK! :)

I was just going to say about turkey. It was a tip picked up from biggest loser. Turkey mince is nasty stuff, it's essentially all the skin and fats that have come out of the rendering process mixed in with the off cuts etc and ground up together. Turkey breast mince however is probably the leanest mince you can find at less than 1% fat. Look out for turkey leg mince. Not as lean as turkey bast, but not as bad as 'turkey' mince. Turkey leg has a much stronger taste.

I was just going to say about turkey. It was a tip picked up from biggest loser. Turkey mince is nasty stuff, it's essentially all the skin and fats that have come out of the rendering process mixed in with the off cuts etc and ground up together. Turkey breast mince however is probably the leanest mince you can find at less than 1% fat. Look out for turkey leg mince. Not as lean as turkey bast, but not as bad as 'turkey' mince. Turkey leg has a much stronger taste.

And yet another reason why I am glad to be a vegetarian lol :sign0137:

Our C gave us a tip last week that to save money rather than buying expensive Extra lean mince, you can buy the cheaper lean mince, then put the mince (uncooked) in a colander/Sieve and pour boiling water over it and wash through. Apparently this drains nearly all the fat off it and then when you cook as normal its extra lean!

Our C gave us a tip last week that to save money rather than buying expensive Extra lean mince, you can buy the cheaper lean mince, then put the mince (uncooked) in a colander/Sieve and pour boiling water over it and wash through. Apparently this drains nearly all the fat off it and then when you cook as normal its extra lean!

Should say (cooked), not uncooked!!

I am shocked that your consultant would say that Claire - it goes against everything SW says. If you ask HQ they will tell people that no amount of washing, rinsing or draining can turn lean mince into syn free. Really poor advice from your consultant sorry :(

That sounds minging Hun. Not only would it would take the taste of the flavour away but it's not something you should be doing. I'd much rather spend abit extra and buy the correct mince. Your C is giving out incorrect advice there Hun xxx

Back