extraordinary people- the heaviest man in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im actually totally shocked at the comments being made... these are the kinds of comments Id expect from other forums, not a Weight Loss Support one.

Im sure when I was at my heaviest people wondered how Id let myself get like that... as BG said, just a smaller version.

I honestly expected more sympathy and understanding on here...

Well said!

I'll give him one thing...I would love to lose weight at the rate he is!
I personally think he has got real determination to lose the amount he has to purely by diet!:wow:

i agree with dancing. its not like he didnt have a chance...they tried to help him and he wemt back to the way he was.i no i got to a point where i think how on earth but id never had surgery to help me and then took the mick.there is a limit, i had sympathy for him until he threw help out the window

I agree Starlight - hence my mini rant :) Coulda been a lot worse and i had to do some SEVERE editing!

But then we know what i'm like :D Nigeepoo around?

i agree with dancing. its not like he didnt have a chance...they tried to help him and he wemt back to the way he was.i no i got to a point where i think how on earth but id never had surgery to help me and then took the mick.there is a limit, i had sympathy for him until he threw help out the window

Yes he did get help. but then how many times have you seen people on here losing fantastic amounts of weight then gaining it all again, ok maybe not after surgery but after some serious dieting, yet we all offer them unlimited support and advice.

I just dont understand how people on here can be so critical of him - there but for the grace of God, or that lightbulb moment, go a lot of us.

I agree. We've all made the decision to lose weight and we're acting upon that. But he was helped before and then didn't carry on helping himself.
It would be like any of us getting to our target weight and then eating take out everyday.
I do feel for him but there comes a point when enough is enough. We've seen it in ourselves and I know that none of us weigh near as much as he does.
I admire him for doing it now though. I think that if I got to that size I would give up on any chance of being a normal weight again.
Lo ..x :p

Oh my god -

I HAVE TO JUST NOT LOOK AT THIS THREAD?!?!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Yes he did get help. but then how many times have you seen people on here losing fantastic amounts of weight then gaining it all again, ok maybe not after surgery but after some serious dieting, yet we all offer them unlimited support and advice.

I just dont understand how people on here can be so critical of him - there but for the grace of God, or that lightbulb moment, go a lot of us.

well said starlight! thats what i thought as i was watching.

Ok, so im still here - a friend of mine said to me not long ago

"URGH, can you imagine being 20st? I'd kill myself"

Strangely we're not talking anymore. We all have different opinions of "mega-obesity" people.

Raises many questions about state of mind and illness.

OH WAIT! I forgot over eating wasnt an addiction problem. Silly me comparing overeating to any other eating disorder (which are medically recognised)

i feel so sorry for him! Glad he has such a supportive family! when it first starting i thought omg, but after watching it, i feel for him, and really proud of him! atleast hes doing/done something about his weight now, we all make mistakes. Ive gone on diets the doc has helped me with, and quit after so long.

I would bet that everyone that has posted what others see as really harsh comments on here had exactly the same thought about themselves when they were at their heaviest, I know I did. I still look in the mirror now and think what a discusting huge lump of fat I've become but I can cheer myself up because I know that I'm doing something positive to change they way I look at myself.
It's not that people don't have sympathy for this guy, it's simply that seeing someone that big, wether it be me, you or my aunt Betty is a shock to the system and it takes a while for people to stop and think how we all in fact know what this guy is going through to some extent. It's human nature to comment when you are shocked at something and although peoples first reactions tend to never be good (and generally shouldn't be verbalised), it's the after thoughts that you find are generally what their true feels are on a subject, and from what I can see most people do genuinely feel for this guy.

sorry to go on a bit, I'll shut up now.:sigh:

Gosh, you have to credit the guy for his determination and motivation! He could have so easily have thrown in the towel or not even bothered to even make the effort in the first place. Reminds me that it is possible however short or long your journey is. You just gotta keep goin!

Yes. We can never really understand. Some of us can get closer to understanding though :(

I didn't watch it tonight, but it's been on before and is repeated regularly (along with other extraordinary people). Often I wonder if they do want to change. When people become as 'extraordinary' as that, they often become celebrities. It defines them, and it must be very difficult to break away from and become an ordinary person again. Just my opinion and all that.

it's simply that seeing someone that big, wether it be me, you or my aunt Betty is a shock to the system and it takes a while for people to stop and think how we all in fact know what this guy is going through to some extent.

So isnt this right about all disabled people? Cos i'm doing a presentation on neurofibromatosis (elephant man stuff) so i best not put pictures in ?

It's human nature to comment when you are shocked at something and although peoples first reactions tend to never be good

Hmmm, in a weight loss forum? Sorry, i just thought the title of the tv program took the shock away.

I too am going to shut up now. Maybe just cos of my profession of choice and stuff i can stand this stuff - yet i can't think of dental surgery :rolleyes: Must be the same sorta thing.

Oh god, i gotta kee my mouth shut x

hes done somethin about it now so go manuel.

its a happy ending just like the lion king :confused:

people have opinions....not every1 agrees with each other. the world would be boring if they did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back