extraordinary people- the heaviest man in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leah I think you're being very unfair with the bits you've chosen out of everything I said and I feel that because you don't even know me you, yourself are being very judgemental.
The second bit you quoted from what I said if you'd put in the bit in brackets afterwards it would have put it in context but you decided to leave it out and twist what it was I was saying.

I'm going completely now purely because I can't type properly because my hands are shaking you've made me so angry!
I've really enjoyed being on minimins and it's really helped me but I certainly didn't expect to be humliated and insulted for having an opinion and sharing my thought...which I though was what this site was about.

Have a nice evening ladies.

So isnt this right about all disabled people? Cos i'm doing a presentation on neurofibromatosis (elephant man stuff)

I think the next programme (next week?) is on someone with neurofibromatosis Leah. Looked like a really bad case :(

Leah I think you're being very unfair with the bits you've chosen out of everything I said and I feel that because you don't even know me you, yourself are being very judgemental.
The second bit you quoted from what I said if you'd put in the bit in brackets afterwards it would have put it in context but you decided to leave it out and twist what it was I was saying.

I'm going completely now purely because I can't type properly because my hands are shaking you've made me so angry!
I've really enjoyed being on minimins and it's really helped me but I certainly didn't expect to be humliated and insulted for having an opinion and sharing my thought...which I though was what this site was about.

Actually, i only took those quotes out cos they were the only bits i didnt agree with.

The rest i thought was valid - hence not questioning it.

I study genetics. You wouldnt believe the opinions i have to put up with day to day. All through this thread i have been shaking. Saying all these things about this FAT MAN is the same as calling someone else with a disability a bad name.

I was actually being REALLY genuine about the questions - i think the title DID take the shock away and i wanted to know if i should leave pics of NF out (cos if anyone else is like me then they google words they never see).

img0.jpg

See?

I would bet that everyone that has posted what others see as really harsh comments on here had exactly the same thought about themselves when they were at their heaviest, I know I did. I still look in the mirror now and think what a discusting huge lump of fat I've become but I can cheer myself up because I know that I'm doing something positive to change they way I look at myself.
It's not that people don't have sympathy for this guy, it's simply that seeing someone that big, wether it be me, you or my aunt Betty is a shock to the system and it takes a while for people to stop and think how we all in fact know what this guy is going through to some extent. It's human nature to comment when you are shocked at something and although peoples first reactions tend to never be good (and generally shouldn't be verbalised), it's the after thoughts that you find are generally what their true feels are on a subject, and from what I can see most people do genuinely feel for this guy.

Actually, I agree with what you're saying here. It was the fact that others were verbalising, that doesn't site well on a weight loss forum.

Good points Kelly :clap:

Does anyone else think its strange that the program followed his progress to around the beginning of 2007 ? but they didn't add a bit at the end to let us know how he is doing to present date? I really hope all has gone well for him but wondering if the lack of update means its not.

He's lost 800lbs to date I believe. There was something recently about him having an accident when going to a party? Nothing serious I don't think

Kelly, I'm sorry you feel this way, I agreed with what you said hun xx

i think the title DID take the shock away and i wanted to know if i should leave pics of NF out (cos if anyone else is like me then they google words they never see).

what I think you don't realize Leah is that it make take away the shock for you BECAUSE you study things like this every day...we don't so hearing the title and actually seeing it is very different for us than it is for you.
You've been saying that we should all have a little understanding for this guy...don't you think you should show the poeple who don't see this all the time the same courtesy?

Actually, I agree with what you're saying here. It was the fact that others were verbalising, that doesn't site well on a weight loss forum.

I think that is actually the main crux of the 'disagreement'. There are many of us who feel we are huge, etc and to read what can be taken as judgemental comments on a weight loss site can be upsetting.

Debate is fab, etc but we need to remember how we ALL started our journeys and think about what we're putting into words. I'm not being the censor police, honest, but often we post without thinking about what we're saying.

(Off my soapbox now!) :eek::eek::eek:

You've been saying that we should all have a little understanding for this guy...don't you think you should show the poeple who don't see this all the time the same courtesy?

Not necessarily. Anyone who shows a lack of empathy for an overweight person on a weight loss forum, is asking for trouble ;)

Sorry, but's not the same thing at all.

Debate is fab, etc but we need to remember how we ALL started our journeys and think about what we're putting into words. I'm not being the censor police, honest, but often we post without thinking about what we're saying.

(Off my soapbox now!) :eek::eek::eek:

Well said DQ.

Why does his mother feed him that junk???:silly:

I just can't believe he had all that surgery to remove all that fat but then carried on eating the way he had before. You'd think that having to go through painful surgery would be enough to make him change his ways???

I'll give him one thing...I would love to lose weight at the rate he is!
I personally think he has got real determination to lose the amount he has to purely by diet!:wow:

I would bet that everyone that has posted what others see as really harsh comments on here had exactly the same thought about themselves when they were at their heaviest, I know I did. I still look in the mirror now and think what a discusting huge lump of fat I've become but I can cheer myself up because I know that I'm doing something positive to change they way I look at myself.
It's not that people don't have sympathy for this guy, it's simply that seeing someone that big, wether it be me, you or my aunt Betty is a shock to the system and it takes a while for people to stop and think how we all in fact know what this guy is going through to some extent. It's human nature to comment when you are shocked at something and although peoples first reactions tend to never be good (and generally shouldn't be verbalised), it's the after thoughts that you find are generally what their true feels are on a subject, and from what I can see most people do genuinely feel for this guy.

sorry to go on a bit, I'll shut up now.:sigh:

what I think you don't realize Leah is that it make take away the shock for you BECAUSE you study things like this every day...we don't so hearing the title and actually seeing it is very different for us than it is for you.

I hear what you are saying, but your first 2 comments seen to be of a different opinion - and yes i can also see that you say that peoples first opinions can change.

Again - go and visit my post - i said i agreed with you and asked two questions on the points i didnt agree with instead of sitting here ranting about how wrong you were (imo)

A programme on "extraordinary people - the heaviest man" is going to be shocking, and before i watched it i expected a huge man like on any other "my shocking stories" and such.

Yes, my path does lead me to a place where i'm not shocked, but then this is a weight loss forum and being quite so shocked at someones weight is dodgy ground.

I am sorry you took my post so badly, but i was obviously of a different opinion from the moment i posted on this thread and i think you should take this into account. I wasn't attacking you and i apologise if this is the way it came over.

I do disagree with your first two posts, but the rest i found interesting and even nodded in agreement. I have a strong opinion, and i hate criticism of people who aren't here to argue their point. Feels like being bullied for being fat. It strikes me that this man could have been ill. For instance, what if this man had severe endocrine problems?

Again - i apologise x

Not necessarily. Anyone who shows a lack of empathy for an overweight person on a weight loss forum, is asking for trouble ;)

I was just thinking exactly the same thing, KD!

Not what I meant. What I trying to say is that we should all have understanding for this guy, which is a given...right? Well Leah sees these sorts of things in her studies every day so it doesn't shock her any more, but she has to realize that everyone else on here doesn't see it so it does shock us...therefore she should be more understanding of the people who aren't used to it. (I not sure that I explained myself better, but I know what I mean!:eek:)

Not what I meant. What I trying to say is that we should all have understanding for this guy, which is a given...right? Well Leah sees these sorts of things in her studies every day so it doesn't shock her any more, but she has to realize that everyone else on here doesn't see it so it does shock us...therefore she should be more understanding of the people who aren't used to it. (I not sure that I explained myself better, but I know what I mean!:eek:)

thats not what i felt leah meant at all.. i (maybe i read wrong).. was simply saying.. that us (on a weight loss forum site).. have all wanted to lose weight.. some more than others.. but at some point someone else may have felt the same way about us.. for example.. i started this diet at 23st8lbs.. and someone could have looked at me easily and said "what the hell.. how did she get to that weight.." and for a long time (obv).. i didnt accept help to lose weight.. etc..
i felt Leah was saying she wasnt shocked by peoples remarks and dieses.. i think..

x x

*IF* this man is still around, surely he knows that this TV prog has been made.

What happens if he googles it and finds this thread - on a weight loss support forum!!

Does it not make you feel like on here of all places it should be all "i hope he makes it" and "poor thing, i have felt helpless like that" and "wow, i know how he feels"

I wasnt making the point that i see it every day so its ok - i was making the point that you decided to watch a programme on the heaviest man in the world, posted negative comments, then posted that people can have bad first impressions then change their mind and expect it to be ok!

I'm sorry it made me mad, i just cant ever think that people who are in a *similar* situation can think this way (i'm not saying you are fat/overweight/whatever.....)

Cant take much more

I am sorry kelly

Different country x

Ah i see. x x x

I agree/ disagree with peoples comments, just been reading the whole thred, but if his op had of been nhs funded THEN he'd of put the weight back on, that always makes me mad. x x x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back