facing the scales

Poppet12

Gold Member
Anyone got any tips on facing the scales when you are expecting a gain?
Ive struggled to stay on plan this wk, I've mostly managed to get third superfree and measured all hexs but have exceeded syns most days, some by way too many.
I can do the "draw the line" and move on part, get back on track the next meal rather than next day etc but I really struggle to get on the scales and face the consequences.
it really knocks my motivation when I've gained and I start to think what's the point! next wi takes forever to come round to see results again and I get impatient.
Any advice appreciated, even if its just telling me to get a grip ;)
X

You just need to suck it up and get on the scales. If you miss you might spiral more out of control. Best to nip it in the bud before that happens.

I have to admit that if I am expecting a gain I check the night before when I would naturally be a little heavier anyway so I have a chance to get used to it by the morning. That only works if you weight at home and before anyone says it I KNOW about not weighing in between but I personally find forearmed is forewarned. No, wait....scratch that. Reverse it. By the time I get on the scales for real its of less consequence.

Thanks Lou. Deep down I know you are right, though it is tempting to put off WI til Saturday. I was thinking about changing my WI to Saturdays anyway, to a) help me not go off the rails on Friday and b) if I have a meal off plan on Saturday night I have the rest of the week to make up for it. Though I suppose there would be no harm in WI tomorrow and Sat..

I do WI at home, Lickthelid, so I could do this in theory. I had quite a big tea and a shed load of peppermint tea so I feel completely stuffed and gross and the scales will probably reduce me to tears after the day I have had lol.

I'll go to bed and hopefully by the time I wake up I will have pulled myself together!

Thanks guys xx

Not going to tell you to "get a grip", but suggest that you look at things a bit differently. OK, say you have gained two pounds, just for the sake of argument.

If you weigh yourself, you will see you have gained two pounds. If you don't weigh yourself - what will the difference be? Nothing. You will still have gained two pounds. Not knowing will make no difference at all to the facts.

If you don't see the scales it's a bit like crossing the road with your eyes shut - you will still get run over!

I think one thing is certain for all of us on here we will all have at least one bad week in our journey. Just be careful with not facing it I stopped going to class to years ago because why pay £5 for someone to weigh me I can do this on my own right ? .... Wrong I fell so far off the wagon just by not facing the scales rejoined last Thursday having put on all the weight I lost and more. Stick with it Hun xx CArrie

Also even if you have put on at least you then have a starting point for the coming week. If you dont get weighed then even if you're really good next week it may not show as a loss because you first of all have to lose your unknown gain from this week. That would be more demoralising - imagine a week 100% on plan and you sts. Much better to know you've put 2lb on this week and then next week you will see the loss on the scales.

Sorry if this is clear as mud - I know what I mean but I cant get the right words to explain it

Good point well made AnnaFaraday- whether I know it or not doesn't change it.
I suppose I feel like ignorance is bliss.
But at the same time, this will be my downfall. If I face up to it I can't hide and pretend its not happening. Might help me make sensible choices.
Thanks for being a sounding board x

Ignorance is NEVER bliss! Ignorance is just ignorance. It's always better to know than not to know.

Back