Fat Free Sponge Cake

Is it supposed to be really watery? Just won't thicken, and wits the trick for getting egg whites to stiffen?

I haven't tried the cake, but for egg whites to stiffen the bowl must be really clean, and with absolutely no bits of yolk in. Then it's just a case of whisking 'til they go! (Not suggesting your bowls aren't clean by the way!) - I think my mum used to wipe round the bowl with a lemon if I remember right, and then dry it off, before putting the egg whites in. Also she used to add a pinch of cream of tartar which she reckoned helped the whites to stiffen.

Are you whisking by hand or with an electric whisk? By hand will certainly give you some good arm exercise!

I did it with an electric one but don't think they had 'gone' properly, however I'm made the cake with half cocoa powder and half flour with orange essence, I divided them into cupcake cases instead, they have turned out ok, very springy and the cocoa I used if very overpowerig in taste, tastes like dark chocolate, will definitely
Make them again and try a plain sponge this time, thanks for the tip on egg whites x

Having read this thread, I am definitely going to be trying this recipe at the weekend, when I'm going to see a friend so I can share it and not have it sat at home!

Looks yum!

Tried this recipe Yeaterday but only used half of ingredients cos I only ad three eggs left. Made them into individual buns n as I made eight altogether I syned them at 0.5 a bun. They rose well in the oven but once out the went a bit flat n think they could av done wi a bit more sweetener in as i didnt measure it n just poured it in but I topped m with choc Philly n they were absolutely Devine n it felt good eating a sponge cake. The only thing I'd change next time is not to cook m in bun cases as they stuck to the paper. Cheers for the recipe, will b making m again soon :)

Just made the cake, bit like a soufle. I made mostly with cocoa powder and topped up with sr flour as ran out of cocoa. Mine was not sweet enough for me, but just realised i only put 6 tsp of sweetener should have been 9!!! oh well. I did'nt take long to do. I put orange essence in, I also made a side of fromais frais with sweetener and orange essance to have with it. Topped off with some fresh fruit, very nice. I'll have to remember the extra sweetener next time !! thanks for idea x

Low - fat Sponge Cake

Looks very nice, however when i make low fat cakes they never seem to rise not sure what i am doing wrong because pictures on here shows that it can rise any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Rebekah

Back